User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,560
Ever ship a dog? Whaddah I need to know?

My son moved from CA to Char, NC., and wants his dog back.

Is there an airline that is more pet friendly than others? How do I get his dog stuff to go with him? He's up to date on all the medical stuff, and we have paper work.

Any input would help.

Here's Kingston. 3 y.o. Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I will miss him, he's a goody!

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
I've never just shipped him alone as air freight but my dog went with me on whatever airline the company booked me on. I bought one of those large fiberglass travel pen/cages (yellow lab size). Worked well. Dog put up with it and never any issues with the airlines. Don't know if it's any different as air freight. For his doggie
paraphernalia box it up and ship it USPS or UPS.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,075
Stamp over one eye, stuff him in the post box and he's good to go.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
We used Continental from NC to Chicago a few years ago. Had to buy an approved crate, that was about it.

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet...ontinental.cfm
Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Poke holes in the box...before you put the dog in the box.

nskitts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
We used Continental from NC to Chicago a few years ago. Had to buy an approved crate, that was about it.

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet...ontinental.cfm
We used Continental to ship our dog from HI to FL. Worked fine.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,671
He's a Bull, through sheer force of personality he'll probably wind up in First Class!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 150
You need to know that a lot of pets die that way. NO airline will take responsibility for that. You will sign a lot of waivers acknowledging that. If it is hot on the runway and the airplane has to sit due to a mechanical or other issue, the cargo hold can reach some very unbearable temperatures. Short nosed dogs don't do well. Some airlines won't take certain breeds because the risk is too high so it may not even be an option due to him being a staffordshire. IF you decide to go that route, make sure he has plenty of water in the crate with him. Some airlines require that. Talk to your vet about sedating him for the trip. His doggie toys and such can be sent by Fed Ex so he would only be without for a day or two.

An alternative is http://pilotsnpaws.org/. You are in a position that you don't have to send him immediately. Put in a request and see what happens. A lot of private pilots make trips and are willing to help out if they are going that way anyhow. Another option is with long distance truckers who do the same thing. Google "trucker pet rescue". There are several organizations that do the same thing.

My wife found a dog she had to have. Problem was, he was in a shelter in Kentucky and we live in Florida. We looked into flying him and what I found was a lot of horror stories about pets dying in commercial airlines. I drove the 1600 mile round trip to get him instead. It was a fun trip and we took our time coming home.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
What others have said...plus...

We've flown our dogs with us and also air shipped one years ago unaccompanied.

Only fly a dog if you absolutely have to.

Our's all did well, but it was very hard on them.

Talk to a trusted vet about whether or not the pooch will need sedation. Remember that sedation may exacerbate dehydration.

Most (reputable) airlines won't fly animals in the winter or summer due to temperature extremes.

You will need an airline approved kennel - the regs changed a few years back and the kennel we'd purchased from an airline no longer cut the mustard, so ensure if you borrow/buy a used one, that it meets current specs.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,925
seems like a dog relay could be arranged.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMedic View Post
You need to know that a lot of pets die that way. NO airline will take responsibility for that. You will sign a lot of waivers acknowledging that. If it is hot on the runway and the airplane has to sit due to a mechanical or other issue, the cargo hold can reach some very unbearable temperatures. Short nosed dogs don't do well. Some airlines won't take certain breeds because the risk is too high so it may not even be an option due to him being a staffordshire. IF you decide to go that route, make sure he has plenty of water in the crate with him. Some airlines require that. Talk to your vet about sedating him for the trip. His doggie toys and such can be sent by Fed Ex so he would only be without for a day or two.

An alternative is http://pilotsnpaws.org/. You are in a position that you don't have to send him immediately. Put in a request and see what happens. A lot of private pilots make trips and are willing to help out if they are going that way anyhow. Another option is with long distance truckers who do the same thing. Google "trucker pet rescue". There are several organizations that do the same thing.

My wife found a dog she had to have. Problem was, he was in a shelter in Kentucky and we live in Florida. We looked into flying him and what I found was a lot of horror stories about pets dying in commercial airlines. I drove the 1600 mile round trip to get him instead. It was a fun trip and we took our time coming home.
Those are pretty cool ways of shipping a dog. I guess you would need the dog to be pretty friendly with strangers. I see the personal attention to be a good thing. I wonder if you could use U-ship?

Have you ever taken the dog on a longer road trip? If the dog doesn't do short trips very well, a long road trip will not be good.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
Fixnfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I have worked for airlines that refused to ship animals. Too much responsibility for them since it is so common for things to go bad. I would never ship my dogs anywhere.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,987
In 1990 we shipped an Irish Wolfhound puppy from Ireland to Vancouver, Bc.

KLM Amsterdam - Vancouver non stop. Overnight in Amsterdam Pet Hotel -KLM owned and operated. Dog seemed to be fine by whole process, Huge dump in car park though

Flew another Wolfhound Toronto to Vancouver in 1986 again no issues

KLM had a whole department to handle animals cows, elephants, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkSQD93uUcQ&sns=em
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,545
I've shipped 'em.

Prefer to ship in the evening so temps aren't too warm and I don't ship mid summer. Talk to your vet about the dog and if a mild sedative might be a good idea.

Know that a dog coming off of a long flight may arrive covered in crap so whoever picks it up should be prepared JIC. Water, too. The dog will need plenty of water and there won't be too many places for him to put it once he's done with it.

Pick the shortest possible route, flying time, and weather that's a little cool is a whole lot better than weather that's a little hot. No layovers in PHX, etc.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: