Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #181
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,306
Alright, given there are some smart fellers and some in-the-know fellers here, and maybe some with a little of each, I have a question.

I have had my eyes on the latest 5.0 Mustangs since Ford re-introduced the motors. The thing that I keep wondering about is if this motor, with its VVT and whatever other sophisticated engineering is involved with getting good power and reasonable efficiency, is a recipe for long term owner blues?

I would really like to buy one of these in the next year or so and intend on keeping it for many years. I am not the type of person who goes through cars all that quickly. Usually, they go via violent death by blind driver (not me) or the bodies rust away.

I particularly love this model...

Smokin' hot.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #182
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Actually, we do know. Bladder cancer is one of the nasty side effects of using parts cleaning solvents with bare hands. Doesn't happen to everyone, but the incidence rates are higher. If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig up a legitimate source. (As if I am not a legitimate source. )

Wow, that's scary since I worked in the industry for many years without the use of gloves. Have washed many parts in Safety Kleen tanks. My friend used to work in the shop for a major airline, when he retired after 35 years, he found out he had leukemia and feels it may have been his exposure to avgas.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #183
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Alright, given there are some smart fellers and some in-the-know fellers here, and maybe some with a little of each, I have a question.

I have had my eyes on the latest 5.0 Mustangs since Ford re-introduced the motors. The thing that I keep wondering about is if this motor, with its VVT and whatever other sophisticated engineering is involved with getting good power and reasonable efficiency, is a recipe for long term owner blues?

I would really like to buy one of these in the next year or so and intend on keeping it for many years. I am not the type of person who goes through cars all that quickly. Usually, they go via violent death by blind driver (not me) or the bodies rust away.

I particularly love this model...

Smokin' hot.
They have been and are proving to be very reliable. You want to avoid long term owner blues? Avoid BMW, Mercedes, and arguably Audi/VW (though the two VW TDI's I owned were good cars for their first 100k).

I have a 2008 GT500. I purchased it used with 11,000 miles. Granted, it only has 15k on it now. But I don't think it has had an easy life, and is modded with an output north of 600 HP. While it will never get the mileage of the 5.0 (I average 16 in mixed driving), it certainly has more complexity. The only issues the car has had were original owner or "high performance shop" induced.

I really think these cars are some of the best bang for the buck out there. What else gives you 420 hp, 26 mpg, and decent handling at any price, not to mention starting under 30K?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #184
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,120
The only late 5.0 mustang engine I've had to replace or even really worked on engine wise was a Laguna seca boss 302. The guy had the track key "of course" and was actually on a track in Tennesee and went to downshift from 5th to 4th and hit 2nd and dropped a valve. These do have a very tight short throw shifter. He was up front with me as I was with my Ford rep. We replaced the long block under warranty. Very strong and fast car. It is no Shelby like Bueller has but I really like the Boss and the track key. So does Leno.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #185
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I really think these cars are some of the best bang for the buck out there. What else gives you 420 hp, 26 mpg, and decent handling at any price, not to mention starting under 30K?
mmmm...Lets go, Corvette
But..when I got back from SEMA I ended up with waaay more Stang pics than anything else.
Gary

Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #186
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
mmmm...Lets go, Corvette
But..when I got back from SEMA I ended up with waaay more Stang pics than anything else.
Gary

Corvette is another good bang for the buck, but even if you add 50% to the cost of a new base 5.0 Mustang you still don't have enough money to buy the cheapest version.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #187
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
The only late 5.0 mustang engine I've had to replace or even really worked on engine wise was a Laguna seca boss 302. The guy had the track key "of course" and was actually on a track in Tennesee and went to downshift from 5th to 4th and hit 2nd and dropped a valve. These do have a very tight short throw shifter. He was up front with me as I was with my Ford rep. We replaced the long block under warranty.
The guy must buy a ton of Ford product. I can't imagine a car company eating a replacement if the customer admitted that he messed up!
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #188
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
The only late 5.0 mustang engine I've had to replace or even really worked on engine wise was a Laguna seca boss 302. The guy had the track key "of course" and was actually on a track in Tennesee and went to downshift from 5th to 4th and hit 2nd and dropped a valve. These do have a very tight short throw shifter. He was up front with me as I was with my Ford rep. We replaced the long block under warranty. Very strong and fast car. It is no Shelby like Bueller has but I really like the Boss and the track key. So does Leno.

Love the Boss 302. That was the dream car I was looking for when I found the Shelby. I decided to sacrifice a bit of handling for the extra power and save myself 15 grand. I don't regret the decision, but I have to admit when I found out Ford was actually keeping their word and limiting Boss 302 production to two years I looked at all of the Laguna Seca inventory in my area. There are still a few around and I really considered it, but in the end I don't think I'd have any more fun with it than I have with my Shelby. And I'm certainly not the type to buy a vehicle and keep it until the collectible value kicks in.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #189
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
The guy must buy a ton of Ford product. I can't imagine a car company eating a replacement if the customer admitted that he messed up!
When I worked for Mitsubishi we used to do it all the time. I watched the factory pay for a set of heads and valves on a Diamante after the owner admitted he ran the car for 130,000 miles on the original timing belt before it broke. It was supposed to be changed at 60k.

I also watched Mitsubishi pay for a short block, head, injectors, radiator, transmission, and half shafts on a Mirage after the owner left it in first gear and towed it across British Columbia behind a Class A Diesel Pusher. It picture-windowed the block and got so hot it melted every piece of plastic attached to the engine. Apparently the little 1.5 wasn't certified for continuous duty at 10,000 RPM But he kept going until the transmission disintegrated and seized. It was only when a front wheel locked that someone finally got his attention to pull over. He had what was left of the car towed to the dealer I worked at, where we spent $10,000 in 1995 money rebuilding a car under warranty that cost less than $10,000 brand new.

By the way, he was some kind of high level scientist for NASA

Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #190
jdiaz

Quote:
When I worked for Mitsubishi we used to do it all the time. I watched the factory pay for a set of heads and valves on a Diamante after the owner admitted he ran the car for 130,000 miles on the original timing belt before it broke. It was supposed to be changed at 60k.

I also watched Mitsubishi pay for a short block, head, injectors, radiator, transmission, and half shafts on a Mirage after the owner left it in first gear and towed it across British Columbia behind a Class A Diesel Pusher.
Yeah, but that was Mitsu. They were trying to recover some level of goodwill from all the Eclipse owners whose timing belts failed at 30k.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #191
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Yeah, but that was Mitsu. They were trying to recover some level of goodwill from all the Eclipse owners whose timing belts failed at 30k.
Hey! Those cars paid for my house!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #192
jdiaz

Quote:
Hey! Those cars paid for my house!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #193
rixcafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
1969 tr6

Has been parked since 1995. In my care for the last four years and once again is a runner. Engine has had complete rebuilld as well as steering and brakes. A long to do list but runs like it should and old school for sure.

rixcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #194
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,959
Nice! Always wanted one of those... Maybe someday.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #195
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,707
Quote:
Why does Mitsubishi have a presence in the USA? Maybe they sell cars somewhere other than California? I see one maybe once a day. I saw one of their late model pickup trucks last year or maybe two years ago.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: