User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #196
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Why does Mitsubishi have a presence in the USA? Maybe they sell cars somewhere other than California? I see one maybe once a day. I saw one of their late model pickup trucks last year or maybe two years ago.
I work down the street from a big Mitsubishi dealership (Max Madsen), and they've been around Chicago for at least 20 years with one or more Mitsu stores. I figure they launder money for the mob.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #197
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Why does Mitsubishi have a presence in the USA? Maybe they sell cars somewhere other than California? I see one maybe once a day. I saw one of their late model pickup trucks last year or maybe two years ago.
I really don't know how they hang on at this point. They used to actually move some iron between their own brand and their Chrysler affiliation, but that was a long time ago.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #198
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,104
I worked for a Hyundai dealer back in the early 1990s. Sold a lot of parts for early Excels and Sonatas that were all Mitsubishi drivetrains. Every part that failed came out of a Hyundai box with a DSM logo stamped on it. Hyundai brought out there own engine in 1992 and it was funny how we never did anything but oil changes to them after that.

I still deal with the occasional Mitsu at my job and hate them; they always seem to have some British-esque problem that defies logic.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #199
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Hey! Those cars paid for my house!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #200
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Subscribed! Since I still don't have a bike yet (hopefully after deployment), this might give me something to post about.
I haven't heard of anything bad about the 5.0. Everything I've heard has been pretty good so far.

On another note here is my 73 240Z sitting beside whsat used to be my 2012 370Z. Currently having the 240 restored while I'm deployed
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #201
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Currently having the 240 restored while I'm deployed
Love those old 240/260Z, what are the plans, original or custom?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #202
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
^^^ Holy crap!!!!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #203
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Staying original for now. My first goal is having any rust taken care of. I bought it for 2k and it is pretty much rust free. The only bad spot was the cowling. Once I pick it up after deployment it will be nice and blue and running gear will be the original number matching engine and a 4 speed manual. Really wish I had kept the 370; it was so much fun.

Another shocker about that car is the money spent on it. It was a cover car for modified and they guy says he spent over 100k on it. I talked to the shop owner that built it (my car ended up there) and he confirmed the story. Some money was wasted due to changing things but still 100k is a lot!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #204
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
They have been and are proving to be very reliable. You want to avoid long term owner blues? Avoid BMW, Mercedes, and arguably Audi/VW (though the two VW TDI's I owned were good cars for their first 100k).

I have a 2008 GT500. I purchased it used with 11,000 miles. Granted, it only has 15k on it now. But I don't think it has had an easy life, and is modded with an output north of 600 HP. While it will never get the mileage of the 5.0 (I average 16 in mixed driving), it certainly has more complexity. The only issues the car has had were original owner or "high performance shop" induced.

I really think these cars are some of the best bang for the buck out there. What else gives you 420 hp, 26 mpg, and decent handling at any price, not to mention starting under 30K?
This is what I am thinking as well. I really have a hard-on for a Boss, but doubt I can find one for a decent price. I will get one if I can, though.

Thing is, I've never bought a new car and am really thinking I'd like to go new with this purchase. We'll see what the cards hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
The only late 5.0 mustang engine I've had to replace or even really worked on engine wise was a Laguna seca boss 302. The guy had the track key "of course" and was actually on a track in Tennesee and went to downshift from 5th to 4th and hit 2nd and dropped a valve. These do have a very tight short throw shifter. He was up front with me as I was with my Ford rep. We replaced the long block under warranty. Very strong and fast car. It is no Shelby like Bueller has but I really like the Boss and the track key. So does Leno.
I was hoping you'd chime in with this sort of post. Thanks for the feedback.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #205
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ Holy crap!!!!
Yea..that does not suck.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #206
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Staying original for now. My first goal is having any rust taken care of. I bought it for 2k and it is pretty much rust free. The only bad spot was the cowling. Once I pick it up after deployment it will be nice and blue and running gear will be the original number matching engine and a 4 speed manual. Really wish I had kept the 370; it was so much fun.

Another shocker about that car is the money spent on it. It was a cover car for modified and they guy says he spent over 100k on it. I talked to the shop owner that built it (my car ended up there) and he confirmed the story. Some money was wasted due to changing things but still 100k is a lot!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Hell yeah, post up pics when completed, I look forward to it.

I saw that Z for sale at $125K......but it sure is perdy.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #207
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Love those old 240/260Z, what are the plans, original or custom?

OMG want.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #208
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
This is what I am thinking as well. I really have a hard-on for a Boss, but doubt I can find one for a decent price. I will get one if I can, though.

Thing is, I've never bought a new car and am really thinking I'd like to go new with this purchase. We'll see what the cards hold.

I was hoping you'd chime in with this sort of post. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a cheap bastard too. I've worked at dealerships for 24 years and have never bought a new car. Not really because of money and actually it is best most of the time if you are not on the "ground floor" The truck I have now was stolen from our lot and recovered in Texas with a bunch of stuff missing but I could fix it and did. Only pic I could find a couple of years back but I still drive it everyday and yes it has HD badges but it also is supercharged with some extras. 165,000 miles original engine.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #209
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,789
"My daddy drives a Ford"

I remember always having some form of FoMoCo apparel on when I was coming up. My dad worked in the axle plant for 46 years. I wish I had held onto that old racing striped Cobra jacket.

NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #210
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
I've worked for Ford,Honda,Dodge and Mitsubishi at one tine or another. One thing that I have seen is we use to fix things. We don't anymore. We replace things. That is the one thing I don't like about it now. It is called a cost cap and I guess it makes sense but I would rather a tech build something than another part that has failed just my .02.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: