Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #211
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
Bueller. Remember putting A/C kits in those mitsus It was cheaper to ship the cars over without it for some reason. I do.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #212
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Bueller. Remember putting A/C kits in those mitsus It was cheaper to ship the cars over without it for some reason. I do.
I installed more of them than I could count over the course of a decade or so. Ultimately MMSA figured out they could make/keep more of the profits by installing A/C at the port and keeping the labor revenue for themselves. Greedy bastards!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #213
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Love those old 240/260Z, what are the plans, original or custom?

First of all, oit's worth a repost...

Second, is that a factory color?
There is one here in town, exactly the same color, with the same attention to detail, tyhe same wheels, etc...

Stunning...

Wow.

Really.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #214
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Iirc ir is a factory color although I can't remember what it is called at the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #215
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Iirc ir is a factory color although I can't remember what it is called at the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe I can snap a pic this spring when he gets it out of hibernation.

Beautiful!

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #216
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,074
112 Lime or 919 Sunshine Yellow. Mine is 918 "Mexican Orange". Unfortunately it's been beaten down by Wyoming winters and a careless drive backing into the drivers' door.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #217
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I installed more of them than I could count over the course of a decade or so. Ultimately MMSA figured out they could make/keep more of the profits by installing A/C at the port and keeping the labor revenue for themselves. Greedy bastards!

My hands still have scars from those.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #218
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
I bought my '90 Civic, new, without A/C (then, it was a dealer-installed option). I used their 20% off parts and accessories coupon to buy the kit and installed it myself. I saved quite a bit of money, doing that.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #219
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,027
Quote:
When I worked for Mitsubishi we used to do it all the time. I watched the factory pay for a set of heads and valves on a Diamante after the owner admitted he ran the car for 130,000 miles on the original timing belt before it broke. It was supposed to be changed at 60k.

I also watched Mitsubishi pay for a short block, head, injectors, radiator, transmission, and half shafts on a Mirage after the owner left it in first gear and towed it across British Columbia behind a Class A Diesel Pusher. It picture-windowed the block and got so hot it melted every piece of plastic attached to the engine. Apparently the little 1.5 wasn't certified for continuous duty at 10,000 RPM But he kept going until the transmission disintegrated and seized. It was only when a front wheel locked that someone finally got his attention to pull over. He had what was left of the car towed to the dealer I worked at, where we spent $10,000 in 1995 money rebuilding a car under warranty that cost less than $10,000 brand new.

By the way, he was some kind of high level scientist for NASA

We had a cheapskate for a rep at our dealer. He did fold for one guy that wrecked his transfer case on his VR4 because he got an oil change and drained it instead of his engine oil.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #220
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:

+1.

Remember the automatic gear "upgrade" on the early Tredias/Cordias? We got down to one guy dropping the transaxle and the other guy putting in the kit and then right back in. Maybe three hours tops.

unknown
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #221
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I bought my '90 Civic, new, without A/C (then, it was a dealer-installed option). I used their 20% off parts and accessories coupon to buy the kit and installed it myself. I saved quite a bit of money, doing that.
Hondas were easy to do that on.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #222
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
+1.

Remember the automatic gear "upgrade" on the early Tredias/Cordias? We got down to one guy dropping the transaxle and the other guy putting in the kit and then right back in. Maybe three hours tops.
Throughout the '90's I held shop foreman positions at two different dealerships - one in WA and the other in OH. In both cases I did most of the heavy engine/transmission work. I got so well versed in Mitsu F5M Series manual transmissions with their shitty fiber lined synchronizer issues that I could R&I and completely overhaul a front wheel drive version in 3 hours, or an AWD version in just over 4 hours. I actually did a front wheel drive transmission overhaul once for a female customer while she waited up front in the lounge

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #223
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

We LOVED doing p/u timing belts! And 2wd p/u clutches, 45 minutes was my best. I ended up buying a customer's '83 4wd diesel p/u. We almost dropped that trans/transfer when we replaced clutch on it. Guy with little girlie hands on the transfer side said it got too heavy, I was on the other back side and tail shaft pushing, foreman was on the front guiding it. John (girlie hands) dropped his side, rolled to that side and out of my hands, foreman caught it before it hit the ground!

unknown
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #224
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
112 Lime or 919 Sunshine Yellow. Mine is 918 "Mexican Orange". Unfortunately it's been beaten down by Wyoming winters and a careless drive backing into the drivers' door.

I really like that car, and that pic. Something raw about it.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #225
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

I bet Bueller can work on these. I cant. I get it but everytime I try to fix one these it kicks my ass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: