Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #241
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
And also if you are not working or something fucks up broken bolt etc.You don't get paid. I take very good care of my Techs but I know first hand the expence of doing this for a living. My shop carges $90.00 an hour. It sounds high I agree but I know I have over a million $ worth of equipment not counting the building space. Warranty times are stupid and the hoops you have got to jump through to fix something is really stupid.

All this time it is the Dealer that looks like the bad guy. It is not one but every car manufacture wich is very fucked up because the most loyal people are the ones fixing them and stand behind them
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #242
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Love those old 240/260Z, what are the plans, original or custom?

This is a thing of beauty! I'd take that over a new 370, and dare I even say the GTR

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #243
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
This is a thing of beauty! I'd take that over a new 370, and dare I even say the GTR
To me, most of the new stuff is just a throw away car. They'll never be a "classic" or timeless. Some shapes will forever look great, like the Z. IMHO.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #244
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
I really do like the 370. When it's side by side with the 240 you can see the resemblances between the two. Once I get finished with the 240, I'm planning on getting another 370. I think people considering cars a throw-a-way item is more because of the current culture than anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #245
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
I think people considering cars a throw-a-way item is more because of the current culture than anything else.
I agree. It pains me to see people get nice stuff and, then, not take care of it. Hell, they don't take care of themselves. What hurts today's values is that there really isn't a way to buy something special (thanks to OEM equipment packages and required certifications) and everyone can get whatever it is (through financing). One has to get into the stratosperic cars, to get something uncommon. Even then, most new stuff doesn't do much for me.

My GF's '98 Saturn has 110K on it and still looks like new, from 10 feet. I can't do anything about what the calcium-chloride is doing to its underside or what the sun is doing to the interior, but, I can still keep it clean and waxed. Likewise, my '06 Silverado sits under a cover, on a Battery Tender. With 30K on on the odometer, it still looks and smells new. I have a $700 beater, to drive.

ducnut screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 06:28 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #246
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
I really do like the 370. When it's side by side with the 240 you can see the resemblances between the two. Once I get finished with the 240, I'm planning on getting another 370. I think people considering cars a throw-a-way item is more because of the current culture than anything else.

I wonder about that too. The example I always thought would be a throwaway due to plastic and electronic complication was the 399ZX twin turbo, but 22+ years later and they're still doing fine.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #247
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
I just do not really care for the new cars....yes they have just fantastic numbers on paper, but they are just soul-less to me...an appliance....and perhaps that is why people don't care for them.....and for the most part they don't own them....a lease.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #248
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
In my opinion I don't think the engine bay or technology makes the car a classis. Sometimes it helps, but 99% of the time, it is the styling that ultimately makes it or breaks it.

JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #249
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

I found this wrench in my desk at work today. I had forgotten that I had it. Anyone care to guess what it was used for? Hint It was part of the tool kit that came with the car. It has nothing to do with the box of old bulbs I keep that on my bookshelf in the office.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #250
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Flogged a '13 Maxima around for the last 4 days in Indy (3rd time I picked one), while the fit/finish and trim materials are subpar, the motor and tranny are way too much fun for a family sedan. It pulls, and pulls, and pulls...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #251
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=NDEBT;20735213]I found this wrench in my desk at work today. I had forgotten that I had it. Anyone care to guess what it was used for? Hint It was part of the tool kit that came with the car. It has nothing to do with the box of old bulbs I keep that on my bookshelf in the office.

Toofk Tool for adgusting the pedal bands on the tranny of a modelT They had no brakes. and tthis was sck em or slow.

NDEBT screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 12:43 AM
Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #252
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,827
I recently rented a Chrysler 300; PentastarV6 and the ZF 8 speed.

What a peach of a car. quiet, and fuel efficient (nearly 30mpg) and while it was a little reluctant to downshift, if you hoofed it it would drop several gears, engine would scream, and it would get up and go.

Epic blindspots in the rear from the high beltline and styling. (Caveat. I drive a 95 Mercedes E320 so i'm used to excellent visibility, elegant styling, supple ride, mild understeer and a tireless silky smooth inline 6.) Ride was a little bit harsh, but when I lowered the air pressure to factory specs, it was like butter. Not quite like my car, but a reasonable facsimilie. Understeered just a smidge if you started to push, and the rear really stuck. A stiffer rear sway bar would go a long way towards neutralising the built in understeer.

Lovely interior. Uconnect was easy to use (except I had to keep constantly pairing my phone to it every time I turned it off) although it was a bit boomy and lacking in high end fidelity. Odd that. It was crying out for some tweeters and a sub for low end punch.

Honestly that running gear, the suspension, that interior, are just begging to be dropped into something about 500lbs lighter and with better visibility. I imagine a rwd Avenger redux would be a great candidate.

I was sad to give it back (Hertz said $358 a month to keep it) but glad to get into my car with its infinitely superior visibility and ergonomics.

If I ever have to give up driving the W124s i'm probably going to look at that very strongly.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #253
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Looks easy. This is a ten hour day at best. .

Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #254
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Question

Question for our audience:

My Chevy Traverse is at the dealer having a lower ball joint replaced under warranty at 30K miles. I've always heard that you should have an alignment after dinking around with any suspension or front end component, but who knows. GM saves every nickel they can on warranty coverage, so if there is any doubt, they won't provide one. Should I push for one?
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #255
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Question for our audience:

My Chevy Traverse is at the dealer having a lower ball joint replaced under warranty at 30K miles. I've always heard that you should have an alignment after dinking around with any suspension or front end component, but who knows. GM saves every nickel they can on warranty coverage, so if there is any doubt, they won't provide one. Should I push for one?
I don't know the underpinnings of a traverse, but it depends on how many adjustments are available. I have replaced hundreds of ball joints and lower control arms on vehicles in which toe was the only adjustment available. There was no need to do an alignment in those cases. If your traverse has the ability for camber and caster to be adjusted, then yes, alignment after ball joint replacement is a good idea.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: