User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #301
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,054
prius?

My new neighbor was going on and on about his,170000+ miles with no problems, he claims. We went for a ride and it's seems like a solid car. So, what say y'all?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #302
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
My new neighbor was going on and on about his,170000+ miles with no problems, he claims. We went for a ride and it's seems like a solid car. So, what say y'all?
They were on my list and we looked at them. Didn't find anything to not like about them straight off, but everything I read on cost of ownership said it cost more to own than an equivalent sized and optioned gas car. What's the point of feeling smug at the pump when you save $20 a week when you paid a bunch extra at the start, pay more for yearly maintenance and insurance, and can't get as much for it when you sell it when you're done?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #303
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
I'd be hugely concerned about the cost of the battery pack, at this point.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #304
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,028
Quote:
It's the most reliable car Toyota makes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
They were on my list and we looked at them. Didn't find anything to not like about them straight off, but everything I read on cost of ownership said it cost more to own than an equivalent sized and optioned gas car. What's the point of feeling smug at the pump when you save $20 a week when you paid a bunch extra at the start, pay more for yearly maintenance and insurance, and can't get as much for it when you sell it when you're done?

What a crock of shit. after 170000 miles the "hybrid premium" has been more than recovered. That takes about 5 years.
Prius insurance is about the same as a Corolla's, nothing extra.
No extra maintenance is required, and used they still sell for more $.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #305
JonU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Always thought these were a good alternative to keep the stock look with electronic ignition.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/12-4020
I hadn't thought of that. I could always couple the pertronix ignition and coil with the 6AL for a pretty much bulletproof ignition setup in my car. It will be mostly stock but with those three items I would have plenty of overhead for when I get around to building the engine.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #306
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,020
Any love for the classic Toyota cars?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #307
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Associate of mine has two with batteries. He serves papers and puts at least 50k a year on them. One has 190k the other 230k. Claims he has never had any problems and gets good gas mileage going 100 mph out to Palm Springs. He has run the batteries down an a few occasions which is a no no and still has not managed to kill them.

He stated that if he had read the negative press on the web he never would have bought them.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #308
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Any love for the classic Toyota cars?
Hell yeah! Love those.

I've always thought the wheel/tire proportions were perfect, for that car's lines.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #309
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,473
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet I don't get around to actually buying anything for a month.
A month to the day I posted that and I finally bought something!

I had a very pleasant experience buying a focus. All told, I had five email exchanges with the internet sales guy over two weeks, called him for the first time this morning to tell him I had sold my van myself, and was ready to do a straight purchase deal. Scheduled to pick it up two hours later, and was at the dealer for less than an hour. Quick and painless.
I personally verified two of the truths of car buying.

1- sell your car yourself. I did 100% better on it in 24 hours on craigslist than what any dealer would really give me for it without back padding it in the sales price of the car. All the trade in offers I had from the sales schmucks got whacked considerably when they had to get them approved by the "used car guy" in back, so trading it in became a deal breaker.

2- buy something the dealer has on the lot. I had already done a search and realized there was only one that was a 100% match to what we wanted in town. That dealer gave me the very first price quote I got, and no one else could get within $500 of him. I noticed it was the same vin on everyone build sheet I was shown. I had said somewhere the first offer I got was about $200 better than I had figured as my target price, and that is the deal I ended up getting. It just took me this long to figure out that it really was a good deal.

So now I'm on to getting the current jeep sold so I can start talking to the five dealers within a four hour drive who have a perfect match for the replacement jeep we want on their lot.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #310
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:

I had a very pleasant experience buying a focus.
So tell us about your new Focus! I test drove one a year ago and liked it (also liked the Fiesta). We may be needing another highway car in the next year and that'll be on my short list.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #311
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky 149 View Post
25 years. Started on SAAB then on to Volvo and now Audi.
Wow. Bet you were never wanting for work with those marques, eh?
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #312
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Quote:

I had a very pleasant experience buying a focus. All told, I had five email exchanges with the internet sales guy over two weeks, called him for the first time this morning to tell him I had sold my van myself, and was ready to do a straight purchase deal. Scheduled to pick it up two hours later, and was at the dealer for less than an hour. Quick and painless.
I personally verified two of the truths of car buying.

1- sell your car yourself. I did 100% better on it in 24 hours on craigslist than what any dealer would really give me for it without back padding it in the sales price of the car. All the trade in offers I had from the sales schmucks got whacked considerably when they had to get them approved by the "used car guy" in back, so trading it in became a deal breaker.

2- buy something the dealer has on the lot. I had already done a search and realized there was only one that was a 100% match to what we wanted in town. That dealer gave me the very first price quote I got, and no one else could get within $500 of him. I noticed it was the same vin on everyone build sheet I was shown. I had said somewhere the first offer I got was about $200 better than I had figured as my target price, and that is the deal I ended up getting. It just took me this long to figure out that it really was a good deal.

So now I'm on to getting the current jeep sold so I can start talking to the five dealers within a four hour drive who have a perfect match for the replacement jeep we want on their lot.

The focus is a fun car. I have a few different cars I use as loaners for people getting service. The focus I keep gets sold about 3 times a year from people driving it for a few days and they want to keep it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #313
JonU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Nice Toyota XpressCS. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that the Celica Supra? Thanks again Vtwin! Your post has me strongly considering getting the pertonix coil and dizzy upgrade. Just waiting for MSA to respond about my shipping question.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #314
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Nice Toyota XpressCS. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that the Celica Supra? Thanks again Vtwin! Your post has me strongly considering getting the pertonix coil and dizzy upgrade. Just waiting for MSA to respond about my shipping question.

Supra GTS.
I have fond memories of driving a good buddie's black one.
I remember it had about 250,000 on it and it was smooth running and solid.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #315
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post

Just make sure you keep a set of points and condenser with you.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: