Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #421
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Actually you can thank 60 minutes for attacking Audi in 1986 over unintended acceleration. I worked for them back then. The shift lock in cars nowadays that requires you to be stepping on the brakes before you can move the gear selector out of park is a direct result of Audi's unintended acceleration recalls

I get it but the new brake overide adaptive thing screws with things. Case in point today. I have a person who is a rural mail carrier she drives with both feet auto has for years. When that many brake overides happen the ECU thinks something is wrong. There is no overide you can do to the ECU It pisses people off.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #422
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
This thread actually reminded me of this . I remember this on a training tape Yes I said tape with Ford I think many used it at the begining to break the Ice I guess. It is funny.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #423
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm not suggesting the floor pans in that vehicle are a known problem. I'm suggesting that most any vehicle that has done 20 years of service on Jersey roads is probably ready to rust in half unless it wasn't regularly driven in salt.
Understood, near the shore here so very little snow/road salt. If it's lived its life in one of the beach towns that see regular flooding during nor'easters all bets are off.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #424
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
For those of you who don't know how to properly pull a motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MZcxZdZdw
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #425
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,187
You guys are youngsters. These were the training films our shop teacher used.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #426
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker View Post
My letter to Mazda:

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

My wife and I have recently purchased a new 2012 Mazda3 iTouring 5 door hatchback 6M to replace her beloved 2002 Audi A4 Avant. After 10 years of ownership and considering the current economic situation, the high cost of maintaining our Audi, it seemed appropriate to look for ways to save money. Thank you for providing excellent advertising, and a well thought out web presence that showcases Mazda's most recent design efforts. In my opinion, Mazda has succeeded in providing a performance oriented, highly efficient, stylish yet affordable automobile in a market that is extremely competitive.

As I mentioned my Wife Lynette is the primary driver of our new Mazda3. Lynette insisted on a manual transmission as she always does, she simply prefers the additional control and performance that comes from a standard gearbox. As I agree with her, this decision was an easy one. Our location (Lake George New York) provides all weather conditions and our mountain side residence presents driving challenges others don't regularly experience. I would rate Lynette's driving skills as exceptional, she exhibits an uncanny combination of focused confidence providing her passengers with a smooth, safe feeling. Her 27 year driving record is unblemished and during our 23 years of marriage she has maintained an accident free and otherwise spotless driving record. Lynette works at night and I insist she have a completely reliable automobile. Our Audi was up to the challenge but it's age began to make me nervous and finally against her better judgment, I convinced Lynette it was time to trade in. I am what I would consider a "gear head", I love cars and I am excited by new technology, I find great interest in things like your Skyactive...........finally we have achieved high compression, efficient and clean, I love it!

Lynette has clocked just over 1200 miles so far on our Mazda3. During those 1200 mile she has experienced on three separate occasions an unexpected and unexplained surge in engine speed during downshifts either from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd. The first experience, as she explained to me was exiting an off ramp, slowing for a stop sign she downshifted not aggressively from 4th to 3rd and experience a throttle surge upon release of the clutch pedal. Her foot was released from both the clutch and the throttle and she immediately placed the car in neutral and braked to a stop. Her second experience was much more dangerous as she was in close traffic and this time during an otherwise normal downshift to 2nd the throttle on its own launched the car forward at which time Lynette simultaneously braked and disengaged the clutch. This allowed the engine to rev to approximately 4000 rpms where it was held for a second or two. This nearly exact experience has been repeated once again and Lynette has now removed downshifting from her driving experience. In an effort to replicate this I have driven the car and have experienced a similar uninitiated throttle opening during shifting. There is clearly a problem.

My greatest concern is that we get this fixed and right away, my greatest fear is that because we cannot replicate the problem on demand for our dealer service department we may be in for an long, protracted wait during which time our confidence in our new cars safety has been tarnished. Imagine my frustration when considering the $20,000 investment we have made only to be faced with a car we are both now reluctant to drive. In an effort to identify if other new Mazda3 owners have experienced similar malfunctions, I was surprised to see the answer is yes. The following is a link, one of many where others have documented their similar experiences. Please take a moment and read through these and pass this along to others within your organization that may assist in finding a solution.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/mazda/mazda3/engine/problem.aspx

I would like your advise in how we should proceed in finding a solution, as of this date I have not yet notified my dealer service department of our experiences. I am interested in any information you have or can share with me on this matter. Again, having gone through a similar service experience with a intermittently rough starting/poor running new Subaru, I hesitate to imaging the wrangling I am going to be faced with at my dealer service department.

I am very much still enthusiastic about our new car but if we cannot find a solution I'm afraid our first Mazda experience will be a bad one as I will not keep it, the safety of my wife, children and those around this car far outweigh the cost of moving on. Should we find a solution and see our enthusiasm restored I would definitely continue thinking as I was before this came up that a shiny new Mazda6 Wagon would soon find a home in our garage.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, please pass this along to the appropriate department personnel if I inadvertently placed this in the wrong hands.

Have yet to receive a response......

I'm wondering if I will!
A follow-up on this.........................................

I have been extremely busy at work and have had to back-burner this car issue a bit more than I wanted to but here is where we are now.

Mazda contacted me directly...........tracked my info, got my number and called me after about a week of me sending this letter. They wanted the info again which I gave. The car still produces random revving during downshifts but MudWife is avoiding downshifts. Anyway, Mazda wants me in the service department ASAP...........I'm supposed to get an appointment and then contact Mazda Corporate with date and time. Then they will talk with dealer service and share info about my experience.

I was pissed when I first tried to get the car in as I knew I would not want to wait around and they wanted to charge me for a loaner.......not going to happen and the girl told me she would look into it and get back to me............she never did. This week I called and got a different person and got much better results. Long and short, the car will be driven home and then some by the service tech while it's data is being recorded in an effort to get answers. I'll be in a rental paid for under my warrantee.

Again the only reason I wrote the letter was to avoid getting the old "it didn't do it for us" routine. We will see.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #427
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 60,349
On Friday I rented a car in Las Vegas and dropped it off this morning in Sacramento after 600+ miles of the highest hills and lowest dales in this part of the country.

This being a one-way rental, Avis was playing "pass the trash" and sent me down the road in their oldest, cheapest car, which was a KIA Forte EX, a little number with a 2.0 engine in about the same class as a Chevy Cruz or Toyota Corolla.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It performed better than I expected for a small cheap car. It was fairly quiet and comfortable, and I was able to pass cars uphill at highway speeds without a lot of drama. The only real criticism was the interior design and materials weren't very attractive.

Overall, the experience raised my estimation of the Korean imports.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #428
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, I......................got off subject,

I should have got one of these on the cheap for the little woman.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #429
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Was by the Mazda dealer, today. That 6 looks awesome, especially in Soul Red. Also, the CX5 looks much better, in person.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #430
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker View Post
Long and short, the car will be driven home and then some by the service tech while it's data is being recorded in an effort to get answers. I'll be in a rental paid for under my warrantee.
Good luck.
Our month old Focus has been in the shop for the last 10 days while they try to find the wiring problem/computer error that is causing the random "every fucking system reported as failed, stop immediately" fault that has happened to the wife twice. After four days, they asked if their tech guy could use it as his daily driver to try and get it to do it, and of course it's been perfect for them. Not real amused. This is the same scenario my mom went through with chrysler four years ago, and it took them five tries over six months to finally find the wiring harness that had the issue. I told them to take their time. After the third try, or 30 days out if service, it'll be eligible for the lemon law.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #431
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Good luck.
Our month old Focus has been in the shop for the last 10 days while they try to find the wiring problem/computer error that is causing the random "every fucking system reported as failed, stop immediately" fault that has happened to the wife twice. After four days, they asked if their tech guy could use it as his daily driver to try and get it to do it, and of course it's been perfect for them. Not real amused. This is the same scenario my mom went through with chrysler four years ago, and it took them five tries over six months to finally find the wiring harness that had the issue. I told them to take their time. After the third try, or 30 days out if service, it'll be eligible for the lemon law.
Wow, what a bummer.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #432
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Good luck.
And to think the Focus was my 1st choice when considering the Mazda3 and Impreza. Ironic, that the loaner I got is a 2013 Impreza.......I don't like it one bit but I bet it will run forever!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #433
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Been a while since i got to this thread, still catching up, but I thought I would let you guys know the shop told me the 240Z is going into paint almost halfway done now and they still have until November to finish it. Now i need to get back to catching up.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #434
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Well they got swamped with cars that had deadlines so mine was pushed back. They still got a lot of the body work done though. Here is a pic I took yesterday of it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #435
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,011
2002 Lexus LS 430

I am making a car ownership philosophical change with my current car a Lexus LS 430. I grew up in Oshawa, Ontario home of GM Canada and 9 years ago I bought this Lexus used with just under 50,000 kms. It now has 140,000 kms. I traded in a 2000 Mercedes S430 that was a money pit as part of the deal.

New the car sold with taxes for over $90,000 and I paid 38,000 3 years later including my trade-in.

It has been in two decent wrecks, the first at 60 KMS a lady in a Pontiac Grand Am shot across a line of parked cars and first appeared in my line of sight just in time for me to provide what seemed like a nanosecond of maximum braking before the left front corner of my car intruded into her passenger compartment and then carved out the front end of her car. She was unhurt and fortunately she did not have a passenger as they would have had been killed. The airbags did not deploy and the employee with me and myself were unhurt.

The Fire/Rescue guys wanted to call a flat bed but I borrowed a set of gloves pulled the fender away from the wheel and drove the car home.

The bill at the body shop was about $8,000 and the car was repaired perfectly. Three years later leaving Gerlach Nevada before dawn I killed a large Buck with the right front corner at about 100 km/h and the car went in for a $6,000 repair job. Again the car ran like new.

In the winter I mount 4 snows on an extra set of OEM rims (ebay) and it travels well in the mountains.

I street park the car and have it detailed 1/4ly.

It has cost me nothing in service as it is after all a Toyota. I replaced the water pump and engine belt this spring $1800.00. I follow the Lexus Service schedule religiously and the cost of oil/filter loaner car and getting a washed car back is about $100.00

So as a street parker the car has had a few bumps and scraps on the doors and rear bumper so the car was looking a bit tired. The car doesn't have GPS, bluetooth or Sat Radio.

I drive about 20,000 kms a year and visit clients at their offices on occasion so of course I have been thinking about the way the car looks with the paint chips and the fact that the front seats are loosing their level of comfort as they have broken down.

In July I drove with a friend down to Sacramento non stop to score the IBR and then drove right home both ways with the cruise set at 75 MPH we got g25 mpg (US Gallons).

So here I am with a 12 year old car that is starting to look a bit ratty and so the great search for a new used car begins. I want another Lexus because it just plain works and I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a used 2010 LS 460 Sport but the sales manager sells it out from under me. I drove it and I was non plussed really it didn't seem that much different than my current car

I took my car into the shop for service and I talked to the service guy a superb individual who says why change your car it will never really depreciate anymore, it works great , the engine is bulletproof , you maintain the car well and we both know the accident repairs were done to spec and have caused you zero problems. If you trade it you will be lucky to get $7500 and it is a good car so why not just bring it back up to spec. He said we both know the drivers in Vancouver are a disaster and the odds are good that you will get hit again, your car has a really good safety rating so why change it. Why don't you just fix it up and see if you can get 20 or 25 years out of it?

Well I took the bait and am fixing up the most reliable (and wonderfully dull) car I have ever owned.

The car is in getting the dings, nicks and scratched bumpers fixed, I have ordered new seat foam and then it is off to the upholsterer for new front seat cushions.

These repairs will cost me about $3,000 so I am spending 40% of the cars value to bring it up to snuff. The car won't depreciate much more but a new used one will drop that much in value the day I buy it, it has been paid for for years and it is a damn nice car to drive . When I started to think about why I needed to trade it was really quite silly; my reasons for change were about cosmetic things that I can have fixed.

I will post pics when it is back from the shop(s). I am embarking on a plan to run this car as long as it will hold together and lower my overall cost of car ownership.

Have nay of you made the same decision with a good solid car that you own ?
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: