Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #76
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Never ever use ether on a gas engine. If it has compression, fuel, and spark, it'll start.
I use carb cleaner (or brake cleaner - but not in a closed environment due to the potential to create phosgene from the chlorinates) as a quick and dirty test for fuel related no start conditions.

Ether can be used, but the user better damn well know what they are doing. I've used it successfully in both gas and diesel applications. The mistake most people make is they don't realize that a very little bit goes a very long way.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #77
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Ether can be used, but the user better damn well know what they are doing. I've used it successfully in both gas and diesel applications. The mistake most people make is they don't realize that a very little bit goes a very long way.
With a gas engine having advanced ignition, I'll choose to keep my eyebrows.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #78
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
I use carb cleaner (or brake cleaner - but not in a closed environment due to the potential to create phosgene from the chlorinates) as a quick and dirty test for fuel related no start conditions.

Hell, I just used WD40 on my Willys pickup the other day since it's been sitting for a few weeks.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #79
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
With a gas engine having advanced ignition, I'll choose to keep my eyebrows.
Not sure if you know or not, but the risks are actually worse in a diesel.

Gas engine ignition will light up carb cleaner just as easily, as I've gotten the pleasure of witnessing first hand when a fellow tech lit up a customer's engine compartment right in front of the customer. I'm not sure which freaked out the customer more - the fire, or the extinguisher I emptied on his car when my co-worker - frozen in panic - refused to act

Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #80
neumie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
How much?

Thanks for the tips! How much do you figure a dealer should make on a sale? I wrote this: "I would point out that NADA bbv clean trade is $21,900 for my truck and the same clean trade is $25,700 for the F150. The difference being $3800. You are pointing towards a transaction difference of $6-7000." In an email to a dealer this evening. Maybe I don't understand the business well enough.

Love the tech stuff in this thread--although it is way over my head for the most part.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #81
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumie View Post
Thanks for the tips! How much do you figure a dealer should make on a sale? I wrote this: "I would point out that NADA bbv clean trade is $21,900 for my truck and the same clean trade is $25,700 for the F150. The difference being $3800. You are pointing towards a transaction difference of $6-7000." In an email to a dealer this evening. Maybe I don't understand the business well enough.

Love the tech stuff in this thread--although it is way over my head for the most part.
Are you trading in your truck with a trade value of $21.9k on a used F150 with a trade value of $25.7k? Then yeah, he's going to need to see nearly $6k in cash to make it worth his time. If he did the deal for $3800, all he did is change his inventory and not put a dime in his pocket.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #82
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure if you know or not, but the risks are actually worse in a diesel.
The only diesels I've ever ethered were semi-tractors. I felt little concern, because of their intake length, robust design, and there being a turbo in the way. Furthermore, I've never had one even think of backfiring. Now, the ancient Continentals, in duece and a halfs, using a JP4 (jet fuel) soaked rag, could definitely teach one a lesson. But, in Korea, out in the field at -5 degrees, one has to use whatever it takes to get 'em going. Oh yeah. Don't try that at home.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #83
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumie View Post

Not sure exactly what you are saying here, but look at it this way:

Many dealers like to talk about trade difference. If you're good with numbers and know how to negotiate off of the total like that, go for it. I often will. But most people are more comfortable breaking it down into two pieces:

1) How much do I pay for the new vehicle?

2) How much do I get for my trade?

Added to that will be smaller stuff like doc fees, etc., but breaking the deal into pieces lets you better understand what is really going on.

Beyond that, if you are buying a used vehicle it gets a little more gray. Your point of comparison is market value only, because you have no way of knowing what the dealer has invested in a used vehicle. If you purchase it favorably compared to market, you are doing well. Some do better than others, which is attributable to local market conditions (demand), length of time in inventory, the dealer's net cost, his interest in your trade, and your negotiating skills.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #84
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
The only diesels I've ever ethered were semi-tractors. I felt little concern, because of their intake length, robust design, and there being a turbo in the way. Furthermore, I've never had one even think of backfiring. Now, the ancient Continentals, in duece and a halfs, using a JP4 (jet fuel) soaked rag, could definitely teach one a lesson. But, in Korea, out in the field at -5 degrees, one has to use whatever it takes to get 'em going. Oh yeah. Don't try that at home.
Modern diesel pre-heating systems can readily ignite ether Ether itself is some dangerous shit no matter where it is used. Just like a bomb it's perfectly safe until it winds up in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #85
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Modern diesel pre-heating systems can readily ignite ether Ether itself is some dangerous shit no matter where it is used. Just like a bomb it's perfectly safe until it winds up in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, on pickup engines. I'm not sure what commercial engines have "glow plugs". With all the new EPA requirements that keep rolling out, it's hard to keep up. I've left that industry, anyway, so I'll be safe.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #86
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I

1) step on the gas to leave the stoplight
2) something begins to sound like a blender with ball bearings in it, but there's precious little forward motion
3) step on gas harder
4) ball bearings in a blender sound gets quite loud. Blender is angry!
5) car darts uncontrollably left and right as it begins to move forward
6) step on gas harder because you just got smoked off the line by a blue-hair in a Sentra
7) ANGRY BLENDER!!
8) achieve cruise speed of 30 mph, reduce gas pedal pressure.
9) angry blender goes away, car slows to 20 mph
10) repeat step 6 before blue-hair sideswipes you

If my company wasn't stinking fucking rich you would owe them a keybaord, because I just filled this one with coffee.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #87
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
I have 1000 miles on my S60.

Damn, I really like this car. I like how it drives. The AWD is fantastic. The engine has a nice growl for being a 5 cylinder. The seats are tremendous. The power steering feels properly boosted for the car. The brakes are even and have good feedback.

Exceeding my expectations.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #88
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,315
Cool thread. I even like Bueller even though he's a wrangler fan!

One of the managers that works for me has a 2008 Wrangler Sahara with a 3-4" lift and 35s on it with the Auto transmission and 45k miles. What do you think the value of something like that is? She's tired of driving it and its a dog on the highway.

She likes the Caddys - the CTS and the SRX.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #89
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Cool thread. I even like Bueller even though he's a wrangler fan!

One of the managers that works for me has a 2008 Wrangler Sahara with a 3-4" lift and 35s on it with the Auto transmission and 45k miles. What do you think the value of something like that is? She's tired of driving it and its a dog on the highway.

She likes the Caddys - the CTS and the SRX.
Depends on the options, the brand of wheels and tires, and the quality of the lift & other equipment. You can lift a JK the wrong way for $300.00, or the right way for $4000.00, not including wheels or tires. Figure retail book value (which will be comparatively high because Wranglers have stellar resale value) plus about 50 cents on the dollar for her modifications if sold to a private purchaser, or wholesale book value plus zero to 25 cents on the dollar for her modifications if traded in to a dealer.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #90
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
The fact you mention it's a dog on the highway means it wasn't regeared for the bigger tires. That would lead me to believe they would have gone cheap on the lift as well. My wife's jeep supposedly has a two inch lift and she wants bigger tires, but I won't buy them till I find out what was done to lift it and what would need to be done to run 35's the right way.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: