Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #121
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
ok a question. friends kia is making noise from the power steering pump. just had it replaced. look at it and its full. i thought they mave have air in it so removed the cap and had her turn the wheel. the fluid began to foam up and spill out. instean of red its more of a pink color. im not a mechinic but ive never seen that. any idea?

I dunno but it sounds like there is some water in there too.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #122
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
ok a question. friends kia is making noise from the power steering pump. just had it replaced. look at it and its full. i thought they mave have air in it so removed the cap and had her turn the wheel. the fluid began to foam up and spill out. instean of red its more of a pink color. im not a mechinic but ive never seen that. any idea?
That's a bit tough to diagnose over the Interwebs. Too many variables. Why was the original pump noisey? What did the old fluid look like? Did they flush the system? Did they perform any pressure checks? What kind of fluid did they put back in it? Factory pump or aftermarket? New or reman?

Lots of things to consider.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #123
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Rented a Focus sedan this weekend in California.

After three years, their "dual clutch" automatic transmission still sucks.....slow to downshift, noisy/creep issues at idle, and the damn thing barely got 30mpg in almost all highway driving.

I want to like this car, but the sightlines are awful, the backseat packaging doesn't work well, and the Sync/driver information panel just isn't getting easier to use.
Well crap. I only did a short test drive just to see how I fit. Maybe I should rent one for a week or so to see how we like it. What else is out there in the small to mid size hatchback/wagon style in the low 20's that will return 30+ mpg?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #124
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Well crap. I only did a short test drive just to see how I fit. Maybe I should rent one for a week or so to see how we like it. What else is out there in the small to mid size hatchback/wagon style in the low 20's that will return 30+ mpg?
Honda Fit.?
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #125
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I dunno but it sounds like there is some water in there too.
the dealer changed it. she had a friend look at it today. she said it was the ac switch. lol so i have no idea. thought this would be a good place to ask. she was putting type f tranny fluid in it.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #126
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,842
Quote:

VW Golf TDI? 40+
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #127
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post
VW Golf TDI? 40+
Didn't see that coming.....
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #128
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Most mid-size hatchbacks are small SUVs now.

Kia sells the Forte in a 5 door.
There are some deals on the TSX Sportwagon that would get it down to mid $20s. Same thing with the Audi A3.

Mini Cooper Countryman.

Honda has some deals on the Crosstour that could get it into the low to mid $20s.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #129
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,869
Quote:
The SE model with a manual trans and no sync solves all of diaz's rental car problems.

Hyundai finally redid the Elantra hatch after a few years selling a weird Euro wagon thing. I dunno if it is any good. I always liked the look of the old Saabish one from the early 00's, still see a lot of them around.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #130
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
Honda Fit.?
That's a bad word in our house right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post
VW Golf TDI? 40+
Wife's brother had a VW that was such a lemon, he got his money back. I'm not sure if the wife is willing to risk it. That said, I looked at them online, and found the jetta sportwagon as well. I do think we will go check them out at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
Most mid-size hatchbacks are small SUVs now.

Kia sells the Forte in a 5 door.
There are some deals on the TSX Sportwagon that would get it down to mid $20s. Same thing with the Audi A3.

Mini Cooper Countryman.

Honda has some deals on the Crosstour that could get it into the low to mid $20s.
TSX sportwagon does look interesting, and beng an Acura can probably sneak by the hell no to honda thing right now. But, it requires premium, and the last car we had that required premium meant I had fill it up when it needed it, or expect it to get the cheap stuff.

No to the Koreans. Again, her sister had one that had so many warranty repairs in the first year they traded it back in on a used ford truck when it was in for a transmission and they told them it could be a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The SE model with a manual trans and no sync solves all of diaz's rental car problems.

Hyundai finally redid the Elantra hatch after a few years selling a weird Euro wagon thing. I dunno if it is any good. I always liked the look of the old Saabish one from the early 00's, still see a lot of them around.
I'm too lazy to drive a stick as a daily driver. The wife likes her jeep with a manual, but I think she would get sick of it for her work car, which gets 15K+ miles of city driving a year. I don't want the sync crap either, but I don't think you can get away from it and have any other features.

Hyundai - see Kia.

Thanks. Ya'll added at least a couple things more to consider. My wife is the worst car shopper ever. She just goes along with anything I pick out. Until we have it in the driveway for a few weeks.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #131
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,246
Quote:

We looked at the Fiesta, 43mpg on regular and Clarkson likes them. We also tried a Sonic Sport with the Ecotec(?) turbo 1.4L, pretty quick and nimble little car, although the Cruz Turbo seemed quicker.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #132
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,126
I also like the Fiesta. $20k gets you a moonroof and heated leather seats.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #133
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
TSX sportwagon does look interesting, and beng an Acura can probably sneak by the hell no to honda thing right now. But, it requires premium, and the last car we had that required premium meant I had fill it up when it needed it, or expect it to get the cheap stuff.

No to the Koreans. Again, her sister had one that had so many warranty repairs in the first year they traded it back in on a used ford truck when it was in for a transmission and they told them it could be a month.
I thought it was a state law in Ohio that you had to consider any Honda product when making a new car purchase.

I agree with the Koreans but I threw it out there.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #134
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,245
I'm really diggin' this.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #135
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,039
Quote:
What else is out there in the small to mid size hatchback/wagon style in the low 20's that will return 30+ mpg?
Mazda 3 hatch meets those criteria.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...or&srchtyp=ymm
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: