User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
gasolinebandit OP
lurker

Oddometer: 11
klx 650 engine rebuild.

I am wondering if there is some company I should send my engine to to be rebuild. if you have any sugestions please let me know. I am in montana.
gasolinebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Do it yourself.

Otherwise take it to a good local wrench. These are easy bikes to work on so just about any bike mechanic should do.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,330
Off to thumpers

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
I've did my 650 motor, all but the bottom end. What's wrong with yours? Those suckers are very strong, but for a few weak spots. Some of it is easy, some is imposible due to scarce or very expensive parts.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
gasolinebandit OP
lurker

klx650

well my klx 650 is way down on power and it smokes badly untill it warms up. also the oil turns black emedatly. so I am hoping to get away with a top end rebuild. also the air cleaner was split open when I baut the bike so who knows how long it was ran that way. so I was wondering if their was a place that did full rebuilds nationaly. I would not trust any of the local bike shops from my experence.

thanks

Kris
Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Not very many of these things still around.

The parts are really expensive. They are easy to work on. Anyplace that can do an XR650R can do a KLX. Is yours an R or C. The C version (street legal) has an iron sleeve that can be rebored. The R is Nikasil, so it is not rebuildable if the liner is scored. Valves are easy to refit and rarely need work. Replace the timing chain also. The cams on these thing have a bad habit of granading without warning. If so the head is ruined and can't be fixed. Yours is still runnning thats good. If it is the C version, a popular option is to buy a Vulcan piston and overbore the cyclinder thus raising displacement to 690, or sumthin like that. I did mine that way. The top end rebuild, without any valve work was about $400 including parts and machine time with my own labor.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,473
I think theres some info in the yahoo forum about using a piston from a kawasaki cruiser to bump displacement and/or compression...

If your going to go through all the work, Might as well end up with some extra ponies
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
The cams on these thing have a bad habit of granading without warning.
Very true! Which is how I came to do my first top end rebuild a couple months ago.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
gasolinebandit OP
lurker

My klx is 650 is a R type. why can't it be bored out and re sleaved? or boared out and renicasiled? it would be much fun to have a 690 . is there any thing that might go wrong with the botom end?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolinebandit
My klx is 650 is a R type. why can't it be bored out and re sleaved? or boared out and renicasiled? it would be much fun to have a 690 . is there any thing that might go wrong with the botom end?
I see I am posting a bit late, but what the heck, maybe the guy is still working on it:

Do yourself a favor and go to the Yahoo KLX650 group. Some of the guys here including myself are members. There is a fair amount of information there in the Files and Photos sections, not to mention the help the members offer. It is exclusive KLX650.

You could see if you can find a used C model cylinder, it is a bolt on from what I understand. Otherwise call LA Sleeve and see if you can have the cylinder sleeved. Then get the Vulcan Nomad piston, rings, and clips. You will end up with a 678cc motor and a lot of power from 3000 on up. Usable stuff. Get the cam chain tensioner converted to a manual unit or buy an APE unit (much cheaper and easy to do the conversion if you have the skill).

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
If you need someone todo it, I have a friend in Northern Il, with a small bike shop, he does 100% top notch work. Just rebuilt a KLX took a bit to decypher what it was, and he has a spare piston now where they sent him the wrong on. PM me I'll get his number.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
metlcutr55
LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer: 883
search this board for Eaglemike or KLRCary, klr guys but im sure they can help.
I am what you may call the 8th wonder.
Hey look out boys, get out the way, ladies get in line.
I aint perfect but almost, I'm dyin' if I'm lyin'
metlcutr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,316
Yeah, what he said.... those are 2 GOOD names for the KLR and other bikes. Cary is AKA Schnitz racing:

http://www.schnitzracing.com/

and Eaglemike is TOPS!
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Paulutions
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Engine seized? What do I have to look forward to with this bike?

Just want to get a feel for what might be in store for me and my 1996 KLX 650. I bought it last fall from an inmate. I got it out on one good ride and, I am guessing, overheated the motor. I didn't notice that it was losing coolant until I got it home. A few days later, I got it started up for a bit, then it quit suddenly and, when I'd go to kick start it, it didn't feel like it was engaging anything and there was an awful sound when I would try to kick it over like a New Years Eve party noise maker. I am only just this week starting to clear enough space in my garage to be able to have the space to tear it down. I did try to bump start it as well. It made a terrible clanking sound and the wheel just locked right up. I am guessing that, at best, I'll be looking at a top end rebuild. The guy I bought it from said that it was recently rebuilt and a sleeve installed that would allow me to bump it up to 700cc somehow. This will be the first motorcycle engine I have ever tried to rebuild, if that is what I wind up having to do. Pointers, tips, advice is appreciated.
Paulutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Too many possible problems to diagnose via the internet. You are going to have to tear it down. You can tell a few basics by seeing if you have water in oil or visa versa. Pull the valve cover off and check valve clearance. Too much by a lot, means bent valves.

A common problem is the cam chain tensioner does not do its job. That causes slack in the top chain, it comes off or loose from the sprocket and bent valves are the result.

One thing is odd though. Kick start means it is the R dirt model. The R model has a nikasil cylinder. To resleeve usually means the C cylinder has been transplanted for some reason, usually in order to bore it out. The aftermarket big bore is around 678cc. It is not unusual to do that, but my cell wasted brain tells me there is some difference with the water jacket or head gasket between the models.

I would try to get that straight first, as it may be related to your current problem. Especially if there are a mix of C & R parts you are not aware of.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 10:09 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote