User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #226
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
The race has reached wp6, the start of the neutralized section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
OK, twitter is posting some pics off full team fricken service at the start of the neutralization. It looks like a bivouac. Since when did that become permitted? On the marathon liaison is bad enough, but now, within the special? This is killing the rally.

Edit** From ‏@LarsTH
@RallyRaidReview Yesterday in the briefing the ASO tolt that is was alowt neutralization zone?

For streamlined breaking position updates during the stage, set your browser to twitter:

http://twitter.com/rallyraidio

and/or

http://twitter.com/rallyraidreview

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #227
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Just a concept to throw out:

The cost for cell connectivity from the bivouac is pretty high... precluding people like XspearsX husband from being in touch.

What about creating a fund for next year to have an "ADV" phone in the bivouac, that people can send us pics and stories from behind the scenes, beyond just the riders? Someone local could get a phone sorted out, that Scott and Pyn's dad and others could use to snap some pics and SMS to one of us...

And, bringing that back to the coffee cup idea, how about upcharging the cup to start the fund?

Thinking out loud...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #228
PackMule
love what you do

Luis is already on his third (and last) engine on the 150cc 2-stroke. Wish him luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
I haven't caught up yet this am on all the posts here, so sorry if duplicate.

Update from Freedom. This was "Tuesday's" update. THey just got wifi this am to send. I can't imagine Scott's stress over Luis' bike. 2nd motor after day 4. Previous years it went so flawlessly. Scott did not build his bike this year, so I don't know the mechanical differences this year vs the previous 2 that Scott built. Without talking to them who knows what's causing the burn thru them this year.

Sandi

Tuesday 8th
Again a frustrating day on a couple of counts. Luis got in at 2:00am or so… with another “fried” engine. It overheated and cracked the cylinder, luckily AFTER he finished the “special” (the dunes and mountains). This meant that Jaime and Scott spent another night working into the wee hours of the morning putting in the third and last engine! Marco and Mateo of course arrived without i...ncident with normal wear on their bikes! Mateo is still slowly rising in the ranks and Marco is just very happy to get through in one piece. Liliana, his wife of course, happy to see him back in one piece.
Wednesday 9th,
Today the riders started at roughly 9:00 am in the morning. They all arrived safe and sound …no problems with ANY of the bikes. This is good because tonight we skip two hours of transition time, as we are now in Arica, Chile. I have not seen so much dessert in my life! The border crossing took an hour, dogs sniffing for fruit and maybe drugs, who knows. They did not find the fruit Jenny hid under the bed.
So this is real short, and may not be posted for a couple of days. As we are still fushing around running a race! Night!

http://www.facebook.com/FreedomRallyRacing

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #229
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Also from Facebook:

Rallyerider

Brett sent us some info last night after Stage 5:
"It was a short but tough and dangerous stage followed by a long liaison in a bit of a sand storm. I picked up a few places in the morning, but then stuffed up between the last waypoint and the finish...
Due to my late arrival the day before, I didn't get the corrections from riders' briefing and that messed up my navigation from the last waypoint to the finish. I lost about 30 minutes!"
They also lost 2hours because they crossed the border to Chile and have to wake up at 4 to tackle Stage 6.
- Good luck Brett - so far so good !!

Here is a pic of Darryl Curtis's fall in the fesh fesh on SS5.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #230
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
One more way to ensure a privateer doesn't get to outshine the sponsored pro's

To be competitive in this "new Dakar" a rider needs, amongst other things, 2 support vehicles (one for bivy and one to shoot ahead to allowable CP's, ghost cars (one to be at beginning and one at end of each SS), an RV with air conditioning to sleep in and provide a humane bathroom experience, a team manager that is competent to interpret the every changing rules so they can be taken advantage of, etc, etc, etc

My only issue with all of this is the $$$ required now to be competitive. I still applaud the fact the everyday man can race next to the hero's but imho they can no longer be competitive. So good but also not to so good.

Another "bummer" of this is that it is changing the race from what it once was to what it is becoming. I, like many others here, don't like the change as I am clinging to an ideal of what the Dakar was. I keep having to remind myself to accept the change as the "new Dakar" is as awesome as the "old Dakar", its just different

I watched some videos the other day of Dakar's from the old days. People riding 500 lb bikes, scooters, etc. The terrain they were riding on was NOTHING like what we see today. Hearing people like Pyndon saying a top of the line, modern, purpose built 450rr can barely make it up some of the hills puts a bit of perspective of the "new terrain". I don't get the impression that folks racing felt they were cheated due to lack of distance yesterday

People are complaining that the distances are short, yet I still see riders coming in at all hours of the night. The challenge seems very real, just different. Again, accepting change is difficult.

I am continually reminding myself not to be a stick in the mud and to accept the evolution of the Dakar. Can you imagine if the course was still doable by a scooter or a 500 lb bike...I don't think we would all be impressed by the daily videos

An analogy, I used to be a pretty decent snowboarder. The terrain we rode and the tricks we did when we jumped are now done by 5 year olds. The pros have become gymnists doing flips and twists that are mind boggling. How freaking lame would it be to watch people on tv doing nothing but old school tricks on old school equipment Same goes for rally I think.

Sorry, felt the need to express myself

I felt real bad for you last year Ned when we learned we were allowed to assist but you had already gone threw the CP and were on your way to the bivy. If I could do it again......we should do it again

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #231
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
This is Luis' 3rd Dakar on the 150. The previous two years that bike went thru the Dakar flawlessly!!!!! Scott can't say enough great things about how well it did. Last year Luis broke his hand in the last stage putting him out, or he would of finished!!!! The 150 would of finished the Dakar!!!! I do not know what is going on this year with the bike. Why 2 motors already? I don't think previous years they changed motors because they had to. Scott changed them just to be on the safe side. Something is different this year. The terrian? The bike? (Scott didn't build this one, so I do not know if there is anything different internally). I know he was stressed about not building, but being the support. Not that he felt the builder was not capable. Just Scott wanting to know 100% in's and out's of what was done to the bike, is all. My hubby is very anal, but in this case can be a good thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
the Pavey-Poskitt Train is rolling into WP6. they rode there together and arrived within 10sec.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #232
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
The front 5 riders are merging slowly, they are now 2,5 mins apart physically from the 1st to the 5th.

If Despres catches the front the provisional standings will look very very tight...

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #233
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
For those interested in the trucks

Stacey
The Dutch driver's Iveco has apparently been badly damaged after an accident (the truck rolled over forwards) after 79 km. The crew are ok, but the truck has been unable to carry on

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #234
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I'm sitting on a plane in Chicago bound for Lima on January 3, 2011. Two guys wearing moto gear board just before the door was closed. As luck would have it I had 2 empty seats next to me so I introduced myself and asked if they wanted to sit next to me. Patrice and Marc are French though Patrice is a US citizen and owns a bistro in Venice Beach California. They were flying to La Paz to pick up bikes and follow Dakar in North Chile. I explained that I was returning to Cusco to collect my bike and resume my trip south. We hit it off and spent the long flight swapping stories and laughing. I especially hit it off with Patrice who was like a brother from another mother to me. We both had this love of bikes and travel that seemed to connect us. I so wanted to ride with these guys I almost changed my trip plans to follow Dakar with them. But I had big riding plans in Bolivia that I had been looking forward to since I left home a year earlier. So we resolved to stay in touch and possibly rendezvous in Bolivia after the race.

Patrice was dead a week later after a head on collision with a car in N. Chile.

I share this story as a reminder to those folks who dream about flying down and chasing Dakar by motorbike. It's absolute pandemonium around the start, finish, bivouacs, and just about everywhere in between. And that's just the traffic and people factor, on top of this you can expect fuel shortages, lodging shortages, and even food shortages in some places. Keep your head on a swivel when you're down there and be prepared for inconveniences. It's all part of the experience.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #235
PackMule
love what you do

France4 live coverage is on now. Check the TV thread in this forum to learn how to tune in.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #236
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Team Redverz - Kevin Muggleton to Dakar 2013

Just read through the incredible number of well wishes! Wow! Thank you. They are off to make mods to the brace, if everything works like it's supposed to, I could be flying home in the next couple of days. My Spanish is coming along , not.

Like · · Share · 1111 · 6 minutes ago ·

Super slo mo action of Pyndon ripping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Super slow mo camera action
As requested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qk-IPfDgIk&feature=youtu.be

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #237
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
dakar com

Lopez
The first part of the special went very well, but on the second section, the engine lost a fair bit of power and I started wondering whether it was a fuel problem or due to the altitude. I don't know, but I should find out when I get to the bivouac”.

Faria
I knew that it was the first stage on hard terrain so I had to make the most of it. I set of in 13th place and tried to go flat out, but I wasn't able to go as fast as I wanted with all the dust on the special. What's more, Paulo Gonçalves overtook me... On the second part, I found a good pace and moved up. I would have liked to have won the stage today because it's my wife's birthday and I wanted to dedicate the victory to her. Nevermind, she'll just have to be happy with 2nd place. That said, from a racing point of view it's better, because I will have less time to wait for Cyril, who must have finished in third place.

Cyril
I ate quite a lot of dust having started 5th this morning, but then I caught up with the stage leaders at the end of the first section. It was very quick, a WRC type route... At last there were some tracks and rocks. It was really nice to ride and on the second section, we all stuck together in single file. All in all, it was generally a good special and it's great to be in Chile!

Pain
Apart from a small navigation error at the start of the special, which must have lost me around 3 minutes, I managed to catch up with Casteu and Pedrero at the end of the dunes before overtaking them. Afterwards, I opened the road and attacked, but made sure I didn't take too many risks, because it was quite tricky. On the second section, I knew that Cyril would have trouble overtaking with all the dust around, but I still rode fast to keep the lead in the general standings. So, it's a good day in general, because I gained some time back on Casteu and didn't lose too much to Cyril. I'm still in the lead of the Dakar, for the 3rd day running – it's great! But I'm not letting it get to my head; I'll continue as I am, taking it day by day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_FX View Post
Awesome video of trucks strugling to climb a dune!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....51186369471513
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
I think it was yesterday somebody demonstrated that over the last few years we had 1 and 2 but 3rd and beyond we're an hour back - currently we currently have 21 riders within an hour - congested and competitive or what!

Tomorrow Cyril has Faria to pull and Caselli to push, I think we could see him erode that 2 mins 22 that Pain has on him and still not have to lead off the next day - is he about to make his move?

Helder is 25 mins down and lying 10th - not going to be easy to erode time in the present company, but he is looking relaxed so don't count him out yet.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #238
PackMule
love what you do

Must see video. Thanks EP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Todays compilation.

Fesh fesh, broken bikes, helios, broken men and tears !! Feel the pain.
Go somewhere quiet to watch this as you will get emotional. This is the spirit of Dakar not your motorhomes,physios and clean white bandanas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHBKfdc_Og&feature=youtu.be

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #239
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
Paulo Speedy Concalves

"Boas pessoal! O dia de hoje estava a correr na perfeição, estava na frente da corrida até à neutralização, mas logo após iniciar a segunda secção da especial a moto teve um problema elétrico que me obrigou a parar, tendo perdido muito tempo, terminando o dia na 64ª posição. Hoje foi um dia muito difícil para a equipa Husqvarna Speedbrain. Abraço"

Good folks! This day was running perfectly, I was in front of the race until the neutralization, but soon after starting the second special section of the bike had an electrical problem that forced me to stop, having lost a lot of time, ending the day at the 64th position. Today was a very difficult day for the Team Husqvarna Speedbrain. Hug (
Quote:
Struggles face the support crew as well... email from the Freedom Rally team states "The support road is tough today. Bent a wheel on the support truck and got a flat on the RV."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
those fr4 reporters rock, helping the last guys on the track and at the same time shooting it, priceless indeed

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #240
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Tomorrow another short special:

418km connection, start of SS @ 10:10 local
WP1 @ 74km
WP2 @ 113km
WP3 @ 135km
WP4 @ 181km
WP5 @ 200km
Finish @ 218km
Followed by 167km connection
Bivouac for moto and quad is different of car and truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Today's voice clip from the SA Broadlink team: http://www.broadlinkktmrally.co.za/b...ly-home/?&re=1

Pyndon '13
Closed Thread