Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #316
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
webventure stage 7.

Dakar.com photos from stage 7. cross-posted in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

#500 - GERARD DE ROOY (NLD) / TOM COLSOUL (BEL) / DAREK RODEWALD (NLD)

#315 - ROBBY GORDON (USA) / KELLON WALCH (USA)

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA)

#15 - FRANS VERHOEVEN (NLD)

Dakar.com has a bunch of photos for each stage that they're not showing in the main "photos" area... slightly hidden. enjoy! also cross-posted in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #317
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
dakar official youtube stage 7

Stage 7 - Car/ Bike - Stage Summary (Calama - Salta)

Stage 7 Top Moment - Calama - Salta

(pretty lame top moment if you ask me...)

Stage 7 - Winner Interview CASELLI - Car / Bike

Stage 7 Beauty Shots - Calama - Salta
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #318
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Great call by Lyndon.

Altitude really took it out of the boys today.

I spoke to Brett Cummings & Darryl Curtis today. They were also both tired, Brett on an equivalent with Lyndon, Darryl a little less so. Both had headaches as well, and both battled with the altitude today and the dust.

Darryl first talked about how well his teammate Riaan van Niekerk did, and talked about his own performance with a little bit of disappointment I think. I encouraged him because he is still doing very very well, and he said he had a trouble free day but he did not want to take any chances, because there is still a very long way to go. He was really looking forward to the rest day. Darryl thanks all his supporters and apologised for not working harder to communicate with us.

Brett wanted me to thank you all for your support both here at F5irehose and the wilddog forum.za, he sounded quite surprised and encouraged that so many people were following his progress, and that he was greatly admired for towing Matt Fish so far the other day. He also had a trouble free day apart from a really tough liaison with the altitude. He said it was very fast and dusty, and the Hondas are not as fast as the KTM's. He said he could go not more than 139km/hr while the KTMs were doing about 145-15He was frustrated by that a bit today I think. Brett plans to take tomorrow easy and get to the rest day. There is a lot of focus on that rest day b all the riders, he said, and that he was really looking forward to it.

I think that snowball has begun to catch everyone, so its just as well the stage was shortened. In the desertt heavy rains would change the conditions too much and create new gulleys and hazards that would not be in the road book, so I think the organisers decision in this respect is a prudent one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
8 168 - POSKITT Lyndon (GBR) KTM 22h00m04s +04:31:47 --:--:--
9 154 - BEAULÉ Patrick (CAN) KTM 22h45m10s +05:16:53 +00:30:00
10 051 - PAVEY Simon (AUS) HUSQVARNA 23h04m46s +05:36:29 --:--:--
11 033 - CAMPBELL Johnny (USA) HONDA 23h24m03s +05:55:46 --:--:--
12 098 - LUCCHESE MANUEL (ITA) TM 24h25m59s +06:57:42 --:--:--
13 107 - BOUNDS Craig (GBR) KTM 24h59m00s +07:30:43 --:--:--
14 150 - BELAUSTEGUI Luis (ARG)

These guys are incredible. The times of even the guys farther back in the pack are blowing me away. To think of how fast the guys in front are going is hard for me to imagine carrying for a hundred miles. What the stages seem to lacking in overall mileage they seem to be making up for in difficulty.
Jan looked whooped. I've felt like he looked. Sometimes that bike just feels Really Big and Heavy. Snowballed. Still, missing the fuel dump is a hell of a way to dnf.

I'm looking strong for a good ride tomorrow. Have to work, but its a recording babysit gig, and Les Troyens is a five hour opera, so I should have no trouble (knock wood) keeping up, I hope.

Going to be a very interesting day. Looking forward to Cyril get mad

Pyndon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
We are like-minded on this topic. Great post.

If all the great challenges of life are padded to soften the blow, what real lessons would we learn when we fall?

The sadness of the loss is always tough, the feelings of regret and sorrow overcome rational thought and reasoning. In the end, however, to die doing something you enjoy is a great service to yourself. While your family will see it differently perhaps, there are many less desirable ways to perish. Unsafe employment, drug addiction, random assault...

Each January, I'm reminded of the fact that every competitor in this foolish endeavor has lived more in just a few days than I have in a few decades. It's humbling and exciting and scary all at the same time.

While it has changed, perhaps softened a bit, it is still one of the last of the greatest tests of both mental and physical strength that exists on this ever-shrinking globe of which we inhabit.

Long live the Dakar.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #319
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Due to severe rainfall, SS8 was cancelled for the trucks and shortened for the bikes, who start at 12:00 noon from WP6.

And the n00b strikes!

from dakar.com

L'Américain qui emmène les concurrents Moto s'éloigne du tracé de la spéciale, 30 Kms après le départ. Caselli a "oublié" de tourner à droite à une intersection, et est en train de se perdre dans la pampa.

It's the American who takes competitors Moto away from the route of the special 30 km after the start. Caselli "forgot" to turn right at an intersection, and is being lost in the Pampas.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #320
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
it looks like only one photog has checked in from stage 7 so far; webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos... i've re-posted for your pleasure over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread. :)

#39 - MATT FISH (AUS)

#168 - LYNDON POSKITT (GBR)

#30 - JAVIER PIZZOLITO (ARG)

#57 - BEN GRABHAM (AUS)

#18 - JAKUB PRZYGONSKI (POL)

#422 - VARELA REINALDO (BRA)

#314 - BORIS GARAFULIC (CHL) / GILLES PICARD (FRA)

re-posted for your pleasure over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread. :)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #321
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Fuck it. Instead, have aread at what Jordi Viladoms has to say about yesterday:

Jordi Viladoms: "It is terrible to drive in these conditions, but I wanted to finish the stage in order to stay in the race"

Yesterday was one of those days you never forget Jordi, the seventh stage between Calama and Skip was complicated at times and the pilot arrived at Bivouac past twelve at night. To give you an idea of ​​the strength of this evidence, note that participants in the Dakar special begin each day at dawn after making several hundred kilometers of link. Specifically yesterday, the stage was timed 218 and 585 link and crossed two countries Chile and Argentina.

Jordi broke down on his motorcycle shortly after starting the special, exactly at mile 38, he could not resolve until six in the afternoon approximately. Because in the marathon stages like this, the assists are not permitted, our pilot had to contrive with the tools he had on him to repair the Husqvarna. He himself has told how she faced the difficult situation:
"I set the path to the bivouac knowing that I'd catch the night, but I tried to concentrate on driving and not risking too much to not suffer any downtime. The bike was fine, but driving at night forced me to go little by little, it becomes very hard to stay focused after so many hours, but I tried and just focused my mind on every yard progressed. When you're in the race and is the day you know that if anything ever happens is passing other riders, bikes either, cars or trucks, but apart from a truck that had been unable to finish the stage, there was only me, and that made me take it slow. But that was not all, it started raining and snowing that altitude, and visibility became even smaller, is terrible to drive in these conditions, but was willing to finish the stage in order to stay in the race. "

After spending six hours driving, with poor visibility, difficulty reading the roadbook that lets you avoid getting lost, dark and raining, Jordi arrived at the bivouac in cars and trucks. Although I should have finished in the bivouac of bikes, fortunately the organization decided that, as a precaution and prioritizing the integrity of the pilot, Jordi to stay with them. Motorcycle reach the bivouac, supposed back up to 5,000 meters and snowing night. Jordi already had too many hours in the race and also could run out of gas. A Jordi finally touched hers reassure:
"Upon arrival at the bivouac after many hours I called the home run, that's the hard part of this race also, no hear from me did not know under what conditions you can imagine I was and what they were eternal hours not only for me but for friends, family ... Also, do you know of whom I remembered? Del school Ullastrell Serralavella of each year that follows me and worried a lot during a similar experience when I lived in the Atacama Desert in another Dakar when after breaking a part of the bike I was without a navigation system or GPS. Did not know how to find the control points let alone how to get to the bivouac. They sent me some pictures of how incredible it had lived and sending me encouragement. "

On that occasion, Jordi not only made it to the bivouac after 400 kilometers blindly by Atacama but not missed even one step controls. He lost four hours in the Atacama desert with no chance of being guided only by the marks that he encountered. Came dehydrated and doing the last kilometer towed by a colleague why he had run out of gas, but never threw in the towel! Yesterday he did it again. In Walnut we have no words to describe what has been able to do Jordi. Showed that not only wins Dakar which takes the podium. For us, and certainly for all its people, Jordi won his Dakar yesterday.

And to top it off, the pilot still in the race Igualada and faces the eighth stage of the Dakar in Argentine territory between Salta and San Miguel de Tucuman with 183 and 228 competitive kilometers liaison. Tomorrow, day off, well deserved for Jordi Viladoms. By the way, you are preparing a surprise:)

Ah! By the way, the image illustrating this post is one of the school's students drawings of Ullastrell Serralavella did to Jordi when lost in Atacama. It reads: "A single sentence but very important, go ahead".

Pyndon '13
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #322
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post

Pyndon '13
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #323
Flood OP
F5lood.

Casteu takes over, it's sink or swim for the cars

Joan Barreda won the last stage before the rest day in Tucumán, while David Casteu toppled Olivier Pain from the top of the general classification. Cyril Despres bounced back after changing his engine during this mammoth stage. The car race was neutralised due to a flash flood. Stéphane Peterhansel is still in command of the overall, but the size of the gaps, and even the name of today's winner, are still a mystery.

It was just like a game of coconut shy! The eighth stage of the Dakar was expected to be tricky and, above all, long. Even the amputation of the first part of the special due to torrential rain didn't blunt the edge of this stage. Navigational skills proved to be the decisive factor today. Especially at kilometre point 122, where a group of wayward riders lost almost half an hour, including yesterday's winner Kurt Caselli and, most importantly, overall leader Olivier Pain, whose mistake ended up costing him the lead, as well as "Chaleco" López, who also lost his second place.

At the end of the day, the list of those who benefitted from this was even longer. Chief among them was Joan Barreda, who started in 21st place this morning and seized the opportunity offered to him on a platter by those in front of him. He may no longer be within striking distance of the overall win he aimed for, but the Husqvarna rider took his third stage this year with seven minutes to spare on American Johnny Campbell, followed by surprise guests such as Ivan Jakes (third), Pedro Bianchi Prata (fourth) and Vincent Guindani (fifth). Behind them, David Casteu managed to limit the damage enough to take over from teammate Olivier Pain at the top of the general classification. Cyril Despres will also be happy to reverse the negative trend after his terrible day at the office yesterday. The defending champion was saved by Pole Marek Dabrowski's willingness to give him his KTM's engine at the assistance-less bivouac in Cachi, enabling him to tackle today's special with a born-again motorcycle, avoid navigational mistakes and zero in on the second place overall in Tucumán, 9′26″ down on Casteu. Nevertheless, his engine change will cost him a 15-minute penalty and push him down to sixth place overall ahead of the second week of racing, when each rider's strategic decision to change his engine or not will take on a new dimension.

Sarel Van Biljon's big shell could well become a recurring sight. In what is his first participation in the Dakar, yesterday he missed the win by 34", but today he was the strongest between Salata and Tucumán. The South African, clearly more at ease on rolling terrain than on the dunes, was faster than Marcos Patronelli, but the Argentinean still leads the overall. Ignacio Casale remains his closest challenger, but today's performance catapulted Van Biljon to the provisional podium, toppling Rafał Sonik.

In the car category, the weather conditions made things more difficult, with torrential rains slowing the vehicles down a bit. Well, that's an understatement! The race was stopped at CP2, 88 km into the stage, as a riverbed on the course of the special suddenly swelled with water. At the time, Nasser Al-Attiyah was the fastest, 13″ ahead of Gordon but, most importantly, almost 3 minutes ahead of Stéphane Peterhansel… putting him within striking distance of the top place in the overall. In the meanwhile, more than fifty cars had gone past this point, inching towards the finish line with mixed success. It was here that the Qatari driver got stuck and saw several of his rivals disappear into the distance. Guerlain Chicherit was both the first and the fastest driver across the finish line. But the SMG driver, who's still chasing his first win this year, may yet see the stage slip from his grasp, as the race officials still haven't decided which times will be taken into account!

In the fight for the title, there's no doubt that Stéphane Peterhansel, who also overcame the meteorological challenges to post the fifth best time, will keep the race lead before the rest day. But, with what margin? Nasser Al-Attiyah's problems also haunted Giniel de Villiers, who held the last podium spot yesterday and at today's CP2.

sourceakar.com

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #324
Flood OP
F5lood.

Sorry for falling behind on the cliff notes, that was a surprisingly tough day full of speculation.

Above is the official dakar.com race report, following a quick recap of what happened on the firehose.

It started with a shortened special and Caselli opening the stage. Unsurprisingly, he made an early nav error and might catch a lot of penalties for missing waypoints.

The field disappeared from the trackers for WP 10 and 11 where many top riders took a wrong turn, resulting in many mid-pack riders finishing way up top.

Among them are Pedro Bianchi Prata in 4th, 19 year old Dutch Robert van Pelt and, most importantly, our own Lyndon Poskitt in 9th! A top ten stage result for a British rider is a first since the days of John Deacon. We're really looking forward to hearing from Pyn.

What followed was a load of speculation after only 5 cars made it to the finish before flash floods made the course impassable. Dakar.com released a poorly worded information that the stage would be neutralized at CP2, which would put Lyndon back in 55th place.

After hours it was confirmed the red flag only applied to cars.

Just an hour or so ago, Spanish sources fielded a new rumor, exiting easily-excitable F5ers, saying that Despres engine swap in the marathon bivouac yesterday might be illegal.

The rules (section 7P1) seem to imply that a rider can only swap among his personal spare engines as presented and marked during scrutineering. Cyril of course is now running Dabrowski's used engine (and has confirmed he planned to ride it until the finish), so the rest day might bring protests from team who like to see Despres even further down the order.

Of course, many top riders will get a fresh engine tomorrow, resulting in many planned 15' penalties.

The day ended with the first photos from cars stuck in the flooding river came in.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #325
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #326
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeldi View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #327
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Dakar 2013, 8th Stage: Cachi – San Miguel de Tucuman (Argentina)
500 km stage (312 miles) including 183 km special test

Third victory for "Bang Bang" Barreda and Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain

Joan Barreda landed a victory in the second leg of the Marathon stage, which ran from Cachi to San Miguel de Tucuman. A heavy rainfall in the night forced the organizers to reprogram a shorter than planned stage, and cancel the first part of the special test, leaving only the final 183 km (114 miles).

Joan Barreda on the Husqvarna TE449RR by Speedbrain notched up his third stage victory so far in this Dakar, equalling Chilean Lopez as the rider with most stage victories to date. Joan stormed his way through a tough, technical special, making an excellent interpretation of the course, whilst imposing a seven minute advantage over his nearest rival. Paulo Goncalves and Alessandro Botturi, on the other hand, made a navigational blunder as they followed the main leader’s group down a mistaken route.

After eight stages and around 4000 km of racing, the Dakar caravan gets a well-deserved day of rest tomorrow. But there’s still another 4000 km to go before Santiago...

Joan Barreda: ”After a couple of days in which just about everything has happened to me, this is a really important victory! Winning again is vital for me and for the whole team. I was up with Despres, but 50 km from the finish I saw that he had taken the wrong route, so I halted and then decided to take another path, and that led to victory.“

Alessandro Botturi: “I was unable to find the right route. A whole load of us arrived at that point about a 110 km into the special. Besides the track was really dangerous. Anyway, we are only at the halfway point, and I’m happy with the way things have gone up until now.”

Wolfgang Fischer: “We are halfway through the race and we have won three out of the eight stages. Joan has shown again today just how valuable he is, and how mature he is, especially with navigation. It’s a real shame that he won’t be battling for a place at the top of the leader board after the setbacks of a couple of days ago. But there’s still a long way to go…”

Result Stage 8:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 2h07m26s
2. Campbell (USA, Honda) +00:07:04
3. Jakes (SVK, KTM) +00:07:57
4. Bianchi Prata (PRT, Husqvarna) +00:11:10
5. Guindani (FRA, Yamaha) +00:13:07
22. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:19:08
39. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:24:22
53. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:27:19

Overall Standings after eight stages
1. Casteu (FRA, Yamaha) 19h56m33s
2. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:09:26
3. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:11:16
4. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:12:00
5. Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +00:16:10
13. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:36:47
24. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +01:41:40
42. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +03:26:40
124. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +22:39:22

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #328
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #329
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Pain

"A terribly difficult day. Well, difficult, it's rather that we made a mistake. I was thinking that I had to stay focused and, right on cue, I made a mistake. I don't understand, everything seemed fine. Chaleco went into a valley a bit too early. He came back just in front of me. We were doing well. And then, I don't know. We should have turned a bit more to the right but it was difficult with the rain. That's the way it is. I was the big loser. Of course, I knew it wasn't all wrapped up yet; but there will be further surprises during the second week. The aim is not to get hurt and to make it to Santiago. But there's still much to go..."

Cyril

At any rate, I've put my bad day behind me! It was yesterday, when my fifth gear broke down in what was a fast special. I lost time, but I was nevertheless lucky because my friend Marek Dabrowski gave me his engine and took mine yesterday evening at the marathon bivouac... So today I was able to ride normally, and I could have pulled off a big coup today, because I almost took the right trail at the entrance of the río, but all the tracks went left, so in the end I followed them and came upon everyone riding around at sixes and sevens and looking at each other. When this happens, I only look at my road book and the landscape... I didn't see some riders break away and I had to make a U-turn 500 m from the right trail, but that's the way it is... There are good days, less good days and great days, and I'm waiting for a great day!

Casteau

A huge navigational success! I'm over the moon because it's difficult to ride at the front while attacking and keeping your bearings, navigating... I was able to keep my cool while everyone else was spinning around, but I stayed focused and was the first across the line... And leading the Dakar during the rest day, that's terrific!

Barreda

It was a good day, because after all the problems over the last few days, my hand feels better and better and I'm starting to ride at ease. I quickly caught up with the leaders, who were backtracking after a navigational mistake, and went flat out from then on, but in the last kilometres it was my turn to make a navigational mistake and David Casteu overtook me. Anyway, I'm happy nevertheless because I navigated quite well and I'm happy to add another stage win to my tally.

---
Monsieur Dakar

My first big mistake since the start of the rally, I insisted on following the motorcycle tracks but it was the wrong direction. Jean-Paul pressured me to look for a way out of the riverbed, but I continued for 2.5 km before retracing my steps, which means I'd gone 5 km too far and lost almost 9 minutes, as Terranova was going by when I came out... Well, that's the way it is... Nasser will probably take advantage of this, but that's racing... Having said that, one of the riverbeds was quite full when we went by and apparently they wanted to neutralise the stage at CP2. This wouldn't be bad news for me, as it would neutralise our navigational mistake and we'd only concede the time lost head-to-head on the course... We'll see...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #330
Flood OP
F5lood.

Moment of the day, SS8

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread