Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
The f5-ing possibilities are endless...

but enough of the ridicule...

time for some speculation...

Verhoeven leads out with Faria in pos 2. wearing a redbull(seye) on his back that Chaleco will have his sights honed in on?

Cyril is in a position where Pedrero can afford to park off the DSS start for two minutes and fall in behind Despres as WC for the day (leaving Faria free to defend against Chaleco). Caselli is also off the start just behind Cyril this morning (4 minutes) and there is the possibility (if the field bunch in a CAP/off piste/dune stage... or the fog plays a role) to send the US scud missile ahead to hang with Chaleco (if the Matighofen crew want to protect Ruebens 2nd place?).

In either case KTM pretty have 1st to 5th sewn up (aside from unforseen mechanical or a navigational blunder... so the "in fighting" may be limited to "in-hired gun" Chaleco trying to snatch 2nd or even the top step of the podium from the factory boys?

I would expect Chaleco to go WFO today... on home soil... if CDp is too conservative/cautios... lopez could put an eight to ten minute dent in Cyrils lead, by jumping up the order on the road - to the front - today.

Lots of cat and mouse today I predict!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #467
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
45 minutes to start, do yourself a favour and listen to this:

Mark Miller interviewed on Robbie Gordon and his new book about Dakar, DASH

Really cool info on his co-drivers, his teammates from the VW years and Rubbie.

At the end, he has a little surprise announcement, I won't spoil it for you though

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #468
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Not much in it today for a long (4 hour) special.

52 in on Dakar.com and only about an hour separating them all.

JC finished 33rd only 38 mins down so not too shabby with his bumps and bruises.

Helder is in at 6, less than 10 mins down - bike apart, he just hasn't seemed to be the Helder we all expected.

The bike, well it seems to have served Pizzolito quite well, who was essentially Zanols waterboy and potentially the 4th quickest in the HRC team. He is currently sitting 8th overall in a position that he will probably be quite pleased with on his comeback Dakar.

Maybe a bit of a way to go for HRC, but it only looks like tweaking and with the volume of data and experienced gained this last two weeks things should be positive.

Pyn in at 38th at 12 only 44 mins down, so a solid run there and a short stage to achieve his goal of finishing, - will be so pleased for him after his flirt with a potential DNF yesterday.

Last day tomorrow 1,2,3 looks set, but anything can still happen

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #469
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Not sure if posted before, but noteworthy nonetheless:

The spirit of the Dakar!!

This photo was taken at Stage San Miguel de Tucumán - Cordoba, Argentina (it was extremely hot) later came the bike # 15 (Frans Verhoeven) (NLD) that from afar looked troubled until not take it anymore and fell, minutes I get the bike # 30 (JAVIER Pizzolito (ARG) who saw the pilot in trouble and did not hesitate to help, staggering the two were destined to fall until it appeared the motorcycle # 77 (NICOLAS ALBERTO CARDONA Vagnoni (VEN) obtaining support both the moto # 15 and that's how the three came to the finish without problems!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #470
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Pyn is in!

168 POSKITT Lyndon (GBR) 16:19:26 05:40:56 00:46:02

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #471
Flood OP
F5lood.

Cyril:

The bike race isn't just about strategy. It's also about rally-raid sport: we've just rode 440 km. I was feeling good on the first section, where there was quite a bit of navigation. Afterwards, I saw that I'd got some time back on Chaleco and that he wasn't going to disappear into the distance over 140 km. So I thought I had better be careful with the engine. Since I ate quite a bit of dust in the morning, I preferred to make sure and take it easy. For Ruben, we tried our best! In his defence, the navigation wasn't that easy in the morning. There were two or three tricky bits of reading to select the right track. As for celebrating, we still have 220 kilometres to the bivouac today and with 690 km tomorrow, it's not going to be a walk in the park…

dakar com

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #472
Flood OP
F5lood.

CHALECO FESTIVAL!

The day before the finish in Santiago, "Chaleco" Lopez put in a first-class performance between Copiapo and La Serena to pick up his 4th stage victory in 2013 and more importantly to move into 2nd place in the general standings at the expense of Ruben Faria.

On home soil, it is well known that Francisco “Chaleco” Lopez is formidable. As proof, out of his 6 victories on the Dakar before this 35th edition, four of the triumphs were obtained in Chile. The motivation of national pride was all the stronger today since at the start of the 13th stage, the country's idol was in a position to grab 2nd place in the general standings. Taking advantage of being the seventh rider to start, Chaleco let rip over the 380-km of the day's special to leave the stopwatch smoking and pick up his 4th stage victory on the Dakar 2013 and his 10th overall in his career on the event… as well as his 6th on his native Chilean soil. At the finishing line, the Tamarugal Honda rider beat Frenchman Cyril Despres, 2nd today, by 5'25. He also put 5'29" between himself and Portugal's Paulo Gonçalves, but most significantly beat Portuguese rider Ruben Faria, who finished in only 15th place today, by 14'27.

As a result, in the general standings, whilst Cyril Despres remains solidly in the lead, he witnessed "Chaleco" moving into 2nd place, 8'15 behind him, whilst Ruben Faria, the title holder's water carrier, fell back into 3rd, 10'04 in front of Ivan Jakes.

dakar com

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #473
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I'll post this link again because I noticed a nice video interview of Lyndon in it!

Any of you F5hotshots know how to embed the FB video?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-...-diary-1539154

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #474
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #475
PackMule
love what you do

Lyndon's Stage 13 Call

An upbeat Lyndon calls in on the Penultimate day of the rally. After his miraculous (and rally-saving) mechanical repair yesterday, he started well down the field today and had to contend with a lot of dust, passing 40 bikes and quads through the course of the stage. One day to go, and Lyndon knows it's not over until the finishers medal (which is satisfyingly heavy, as Ned Suesse informed us last year) is in his hand. Keep it steady, Lyndon, and thanks for the ride!

Direct download link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D17.mp3

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #476
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
ktm newsroom 1-12

quick catch-up with the ktm-newsroom, lots of new images posted to the media thread...

Stage 01 - KTM RIDERS WELL PLACED AFTER DAKAR 2013 STAGE ONE

Stage 02 - KTM'S FARIA AND PEDRERO 2-3 OVERALL AFTER DAKAR STAGE TWO

Stage 03 - DESPRES TAKES OVER AS OVERALL LEADER IN DAKAR 2013!

Stage 04 - DESPRES CONTINUES TO RIDE AT HIS OWN PACE

Stage 05 - DESPRES THIRD OVERALL AS DAKAR RALLY ENTERS CHILE

Stage 06 - DESPRES NOW 2ND OVERALL AT DAKAR 2013 AFTER STAGE SIX

Stage 07 - STAGE SEVEN WIN TO NEWCOMER KURT CASELLI!

Marathon Bivouac - DAKAR UPDATE FROM THE RIDERS' BIVOUAC

Stage 08 - DESPRES CLAWS BACK SOME TIME IN STAGE EIGHT

Rest Day - DAKAR 2013 REST DAY WRAP-UP

Stage 09 - DAKAR 2013: DESPRES WINS STAGE 9; FARIA IN OVERALL LEAD!

Stage 10 - DESPRES & FARIA 1-2 OVERALL AFTER STAGE TEN!

Stage 11 - DAKAR 2013: STAGE ELEVEN WIN TO CASELLI; DESPRES & FARIA 1-2 OVERALL!

Stage 12 - DESPRES RETAINS OVERALL LEAD AT DAKAR 2013

Stage 13 - DESPRES HEADS TO SANTIAGO IN OVERALL DAKAR LEAD!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #477
PackMule
love what you do

So you think it'd be easy to do Dakar media, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Lots of people on here ahead of me in this queue, but having gone as a journalist on the ground twice, I can tell you it's hard. Really hard. And REALLY bloody expensive.
For web good enough to do the webcast you'd need to tap into the ASO-provided connection - about $US6,000.
Accreditation on it's own is about $US4000.
So that's $US10,000 at least before you start.
Then, flights: $US2,000
Car space (use the ASO transport is convenient but gets you no stage access for photos etc), so get your own media-car hired and accredited = $2000 (at a bare minimum).
About $70 a day for fuel. 70*15 = $1050.
Accommodation for non-bivouac days (start and finish) $300.

All up, you're looking at $15,000 to get something going. Oh, and if you want to get global digital rights to the feed provided by the ASO add another $250,000.

So basically, even for something like web coverage with results, photos, video interviews and reports, you'd need two people with video accreditation, you'd be at $30,000 before you even began.

If that $30,000 should ever appear I'd like to apply for one of the positions, and I'd write a book to be printed and sold after the event. (I've written one and co-written three already but not about the Dakar).
Of course, there are plenty of people on F5 who would also love the gig and deserve it for what they put into this site already, so if you guys do get the $$ up, I think it would be great coverage. God knows I'd tune in, I'd even pay a subscription fee for it.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #478
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Dakar 2013, 13th Stage, Copiapo – La Serena
735 km stage (500 miles) including 441 km special test

Paulo Goncalves third and Joan Barreda fifth in the penultimate Dakar stage.

Local hero Chilean Chaleco Lopez won today’s stage of the Dakar, and in doing so equals Joan "Bang Bang" Barreda in the number of stage victories. Portuguese rider Paulo Goncalves was the best of the Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain crossing the La Serena finish-line in third, just five seconds behind second place Despres who looks set to win his fifth Dakar tomorrow. The result takes Paulo up into tenth overall place.

Joan Barreda similarly put in a fine performance, setting off from third position. The rider took command of the main group, dominating the entire stage in first place as well as doing an excellent error-free navigation job for the whole 400 km of the special. He marked up the fifth best time in today’s section against the clock.

Matt Fish crossed the finish-line in seventeenth place. Alessandro Botturi had a second really unlucky day. Yesterday, a penalty and navigation errors caused him to lose an hour and half, today it was a technical problem and he was unable to finish the stage.

Tomorrow sees the final stretch for all the participants with a 626 km stage (391 miles) that runs from La Serena to Santiago, including a special test of 346 km.

Paulo Goncalves: “Today was a great race for me. I wanted to really push it more today, as I really wanted a win in this Dakar, but towards the end it started getting really dangerous and there were rocks everywhere, so I decided to take it easier. I’m happy with the way the team and I have worked. Now there’s just the final stage to go, and I hope to keep my tenth overall place or maybe even improve on it. ”

Joan Barreda: “I had a ball navigating today. I was out there on my own practically the whole way once I’d got past Faria and Verhoeven a few kilometres into the race. I’m really happy.”

Alessandro Botturi: “Two days to forget about. 130 km into the special test the motor packed up on me. I was really disappointed because it’s really important to make it to the end in a race like this one, even if it wouldn’t make a difference in the overall standings. Still, I’ve made a big step forward compared to last year’s edition, and I have been up there battling amongst the leaders. We’ll have to see what happens next year.”
Result Stage 13:
1. Lopez (CHL, KTM) 3h44m54s
2. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:05:25
3. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:05:29
4. Pedrero (ESP, KTM) +00:07:42
5. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:08:24
17. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:20:00

Overall after Stage 13:
1. Despres (FRA, KTM) 41h37m18s
2. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:08:15
3. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:14:41
4. Jakes (SVK, KTM) +00:24:45
5. Pedrero (ESP, KTM) +00:43:31
10. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +01:29:46
17. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +03:08:32
100.+ Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +25:21:37

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #479
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
2nd engineGATE at Dakar 2013

Noticias dakar 2013 ‏@2013Dakar
Chaleco con problemas en su motor. KTM recomendó cambiarlo (15 min d penalización, pierde el 2do lugar). El equipo del chileno aún no decide
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Chaleco with problems in his engine. KTM recommended change (15 min penalty, lost 2nd place). The Chilean team has not yet decided

El mecanico de chaleco dice si no cambia el motor chaleco no termina y la decision es de el mecanico con jordi arcarons
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

The Chaleco mechanic says if the engine isn't changed Chaleco doesn't ends it's the mechanic and Jordi Arcarons decision

Noticias dakar 2013 ‏@2013Dakar
Si no cambian el motor mañana chaleco no llega a la mitad de la etapa la coolaboracion de ktm no afecta en la decision final

If they don't change the engine tomorrow Chaleco does't get to half of the stage the colaboracion with KTM does not affect the final decision

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #480
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

Turns out the bike's engine failed Lopez KTM 450, and after a meeting with his team, it was the decision to change, which means 15 minutes of penalty, falling to third place. With this, the Portuguese Faria goes to second place and now exceeds Chaleco for only a minute and a half to fourth place, Slovak Jakes, so in the last stage must gamble to reach La Moneda on Sunday and be on the podium.

here

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread