User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
wfopete OP
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 426
Cleaning a seat cover

Bought a 2001 XR Honda the other day. It's in good shape but was stored in a barn. The seat has black spots/stains on it from mold or ???. I attempted to clean it with a brush and soapy water with little success. My next step was Bleach White which worked a little better but the stains are clearly still there. Other than the stains the seat is in great shape so I don't really want to replace the cover.

Suggestions?

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,026
Hydrogen peroxide is the active ingredient in the 'oxy-clean' type products. It works well for blood and some other protein stains. Not sure how it would work on what you are describing, but H2O2 is the 'powdered bleach' active ingredient so it may. It will be obvious within 10 minutes if the hydrogen peroxide works. Acetone is another good stain remover. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) was the magic solution back in the day when it was my job to clean bike seats.
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,451
Auto parts stores stock a vinyl cleaner but if it looks moldy or has been there for a very long time it may well never come out. Stuff leaches into the vinyl and becomes permanent sometimes. Maybe find a seat cover on ebay?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
It is common for the mold to get into the foam under the seat and show thru. At a minimum you may need to remove the cover to clean under it.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,677
I've used lacquer thinner on the XR's that stay parked outside.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
Hydrogen peroxide is the active ingredient in the 'oxy-clean' type products. It works well for blood and some other protein stains. Not sure how it would work on what you are describing, but H2O2 is the 'powdered bleach' active ingredient so it may. It will be obvious within 10 minutes if the hydrogen peroxide works. Acetone is another good stain remover. Good luck!
Sodium Percarbonate to be exact.May work but I was looking at the uses lately and no mention of cleaning Vinyls. Sure gets the food stains/greases out of my work whites.

I have to do a seat that is kind of moldy for a friend, looks like it may clean up but if not.....wash with Ammonia and dye it will be the quick way.And then I get to change the color of my Scorbin at the same time.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
wfopete OP
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxdog View Post
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) was the magic solution back in the day when it was my job to clean bike seats.
What is this stuff and where do you get it?

I tried the Hydrogen peroxide, bleach white and carb cleaner. The carb cleaner seemed to work but I was afraid it was going to eat the seat up so I quit using it. Next will be WD40 and paint thinner.

TAT SHAK
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
okem
Bogsider

Oddometer: 240
MEK can usually be found at builders supply yards. We use it to clean tools after caulking.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
wfopete OP
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Well after trying a few more chemicals with no positive results I went and bought some MEK.

Whoa! If this stuff doesn't take off the stain nothing will becuase it will melt through the seat cover before you can try anything else.

Yes it works...maybe too well. Glad I tried it with just a Q-tip! Had to dilute it WD 40 after getting the stain spot off. I guess the next step beyond MEK would be muriatic acid!

Now I have to figure out how to apply it without ruining the seat.

Thanks!

TAT SHAK
Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Don't forget to Amour All the seat after you clean it. You know.... "to protect the vinyl"
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Tourbus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Westley's Bleach White

This works on most Vinyl trim, have head it is not as strong as it used to be.

Must be NEW and IMPROVED like everything else.
Tourbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Good thing you are spot testing first....always a good thing when strong chemicals are suggested without the proper safety warnings or procedures. Understand that even a small amount of that may dry out the vinyl, may not look bad at first but a few months down the road and it may just fail. If you can snip a little piece from under the seat and dip it in the MEK you'll see.

Funny I sometimes have to teach staff proper uses of strong chemicals. Good thing as most can't, or won't, read a label or MSDS. One of them used Muriatic Acid instead of floor cleaner on our tile deck once, good thing I walked in after smelling the fumes and could kick him out for some fresh air. Etched the shit out of the stainless, that created way too many hours of repolishing, did not make me happy and also caused a lot of the tile grout to fail not long after. A very expensive mistake for the taxpayers.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
MEK is powerful stuff, and may weaken the already aging material. I'd reconsider, else you may need a new seat cover.

I haven't tried it but I read on ADV about spray painting seat covers using (I think) the Krylon paint made for plastics. I was skeptical, but there were positive results reported.

Here is a how-to:

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/seat_paint/
Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

^^^ Vinyl dye, not only Krylon I think just about every paint manufacturer has some. So the price range varies. Autoparts had some from $8.00 to 20somethinhg a can. I settled for the $12.00 one. Haven't done it yet stuff is pretty fumey and my shop too cold. I am sure I can get the Scorbin from grey to black and keep the blue piping, I have small paint brushes.

Nothing I haven't done before, GM used to sell the Vinyl dye by the quart to the dealers and color changing an interior nothing new there, but that nowadays we may have better masks....like MEK none of them fumes are very good for them lungs/brain cells.

But having said that, my friend is a cobbler and does a lot of vinyl dyeing, ladies like to change the color of their shoes/accessories sometimes..... I did set him with a proper exhaust fan, once again watch them fumes.