User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,569
Mahindra GenZe

Indian company Mahindra is entering the American market with its electric scooter: the GenZe. Lots of interesting technical solutions on that thing.

http://www.genze.com/model/genze-2-0/

Old 01-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
This is an electric scooter I really like

Looks like it is lacking performance wise though. According to the video top speed is 30 MPH witch really won't work for much of anything. Maybe in a densely city environment with 25 MPH speed limits or some kind of beach community will slow roads. It might work pretty well if the law would allow the rider to use bicycle lanes witch are popping up across the country.

The 30 mile range is not half bad. I would need a minimum of 22 mile real world range for my commute. 30 on a good day would be pushing it in the real world.

Still very hesitant of any vehicle that is electric. Seems only Tesla got it right and I am not sure even those cars are fully capable of the claimed range. Just a few days ago I was behind a Nissan Leaf on my Hooligan 170. It was a 30 MPH road and all of a sudden the Nissan Leaf started going slower and slower. The driver turned off (or they shut off) the headlights even though it was mostly dusk. 25 down to 20 then to 15 MPH. I stayed behind him out of curiosity until he slipped below 10 MPH. I finely passed him. He made it about 200' from the next stop sign about a half mile down the road before it died. On my way back about an hour later it was being put on a tow truck.

All I can think of is what in overpriced limited piece of junk. It must really suck when the battery dies like they do. I bet a lot like a cell phone the 1st half of the battery last a lot longer then the 2nd half. You must really plan your trips carefully with a car like that.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
sharkmotorcycle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Looks Promising might prove to be an good commuter. Recently heard that this company acquired Korean Ssangyong Automobiles & has also purchased 51% stake in Peugeot Motorcycles.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I'll get interested in electric scooters/motorcycles when they can go 50 miles @ 60mph or faster. I live in a small town. If I had a scooter like that I might as well be living on an island.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 AM   #5
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
I'll get interested in electric scooters/motorcycles when they can go 50 miles @ 60mph or faster.
Just a FYI - "... 94 miles on the highway at a constant 70 mph."

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...roduction.html

Bob
Moat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
This is an electric scooter I really like

Looks like it is lacking performance wise though. According to the video top speed is 30 MPH witch really won't work for much of anything. Maybe in a densely city environment with 25 MPH speed limits or some kind of beach community will slow roads. It might work pretty well if the law would allow the rider to use bicycle lanes witch are popping up across the country.

The 30 mile range is not half bad. I would need a minimum of 22 mile real world range for my commute. 30 on a good day would be pushing it in the real world.

Still very hesitant of any vehicle that is electric. Seems only Tesla got it right and I am not sure even those cars are fully capable of the claimed range. Just a few days ago I was behind a Nissan Leaf on my Hooligan 170. It was a 30 MPH road and all of a sudden the Nissan Leaf started going slower and slower. The driver turned off (or they shut off) the headlights even though it was mostly dusk. 25 down to 20 then to 15 MPH. I stayed behind him out of curiosity until he slipped below 10 MPH. I finely passed him. He made it about 200' from the next stop sign about a half mile down the road before it died. On my way back about an hour later it was being put on a tow truck.

All I can think of is what in overpriced limited piece of junk. It must really suck when the battery dies like they do. I bet a lot like a cell phone the 1st half of the battery last a lot longer then the 2nd half. You must really plan your trips carefully with a car like that.
The good news is that Mahindra has deep, deep pockets, and it is starting out small with this one (agree that it's usability for most of us would be limited at best). This current one isn't really even competition for a 50cc gas scooter. As battery life in smaller packages increases, Mahindra can leverage the technology and what they've already learned to build models that can compete more with a 150cc scooter in both range and speed, much the way Zero is doing with motorcycles (why doesn't Zero come out with a scooter and build it for range rather than top speed???).

Do any of you have concerns about riding a small scooter that makes zero noise while driving around other vehicles?
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
why doesn't Zero come out with a scooter and build it for range rather than top speed???
You know, that is something I have asked myself. Their product is really good but I think it would be better fitting to a scooter. Perhaps it's the (scooter) image?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
Dabears
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE-O G View Post
You know, that is something I have asked myself. Their product is really good but I think it would be better fitting to a scooter. Perhaps it's the (scooter) image?
That's a good possibility. Also could tie back to a comment I made somewhere about scooters not really being a problem that needed 'fixing' since they already get crazy good mileage compared to cars.

Zero may be looking to get the performance dudes to buy in on the cool factor of leading edge technology coupled with great speed to build a fan base.

Funny- I checked my Gas Cubby app- the last time I put gas in my HD200 was Nov 24; back then it was $2.96/gallon and I spent $2.68. So fuel cost isn't really a hot button issue for me- certainly not to justify the cost of an electric scooter....
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
That's a good possibility. Also could tie back to a comment I made somewhere about scooters not really being a problem that needed 'fixing' since they already get crazy good mileage compared to cars.

Zero may be looking to get the performance dudes to buy in on the cool factor of leading edge technology coupled with great speed to build a fan base.

Funny- I checked my Gas Cubby app- the last time I put gas in my HD200 was Nov 24; back then it was $2.96/gallon and I spent $2.68. So fuel cost isn't really a hot button issue for me- certainly not to justify the cost of an electric scooter....
I know cost and running costs are 2 important factors but I think for me it comes down to infrastructure. How do we go from gas stations to electric ones? What would/ will the cost be? I don't really see efforts being made in that direction. Here in Texas, the urban sprawl is crazy. People will commute hours so they can get their little patch of land. How do we accommodate that?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,294
Seems to me that we won't get rid of gasoline vehicles for a long, long time.

However,I would guess that the vast majority of of Americans live in a two car or more household. Further, I would guess that in such households one of the vehicles rarely is driven more than 100 miles in a day.

Therefore, there is likely a huge market for electric vehicles to be one of the two vehicles in a household. Charging could be done at home and there would be no need for any additional infrastructure.I think that time is fast approaching as the electric cars range increases.

In addition, I believe an infrastructure for electric vehicles will also be developed-soon, the key being electric vehicles that can be charged quickly.

If someone builds an electric car with a 100 mile range that can be recharged in 15 minutes, I think it will sell. I further think gas stations, coffee shops, fast food places would build charging stations to attract customers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Dabears
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Seems to me that we won't get rid of gasoline vehicles for a long, long time.

However,I would guess that the vast majority of of Americans live in a two car or more household. Further, I would guess that in such households one of the vehicles rarely is driven more than 100 miles in a day.

Therefore, there is likely a huge market for electric vehicles to be one of the two vehicles in a household. Charging could be done at home and there would be no need for any additional infrastructure.I think that time is fast approaching as the electric cars range increases.

In addition, I believe an infrastructure for electric vehicles will also be developed-soon, the key being electric vehicles that can be charged quickly.

If someone builds an electric car with a 100 mile range that can be recharged in 15 minutes, I think it will sell. I further think gas stations, coffee shops, fast food places would build charging stations to attract customers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I suspect you are probably right on all counts. One of my coworkers has a Nissan Leaf which he commutes in and there is a place somewhere in the catecombs of our massive parking garage where he can plug it in during the day. I have heard that he's so happy with the Leaf that he is going to sell his other car and buy a second one. Go figure.

The problem currently for most in my opinion is that the 80/20 rule of usability (it would work fine for me 80% of the time but not for 20%) simply isn't an option for either airplanes or electric cars. On those rare occassions where I have to head out on short notice to someplace other than my normal routine I don't want to be obsessed with watching my battery charge indicator worrying I'm going to be stuck somewhere. With a gas engine I am comfortable knowing I have sufficient range even if my route diverts to find fuel to complete my trip.

Certainly the day will come where 15 minute fillups and places to get them are common. Question is, do I want one?