Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
LeQuack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
CT90 Speedo Glass

Hey,

I'm picking up a kinda wreaked CT90 today and I spent most the weekend getting prices on bits I know I'm gonna need (pipe covers are expensive) but I know it's missing the glass from the speedometer. Does any one know anywhere that sell replacements that are in the UK/ships to the UK.

I can shape a bit of plexi myself but I just wanted to see if there was anywhere doing it cheap for a quick fix.

Cheers
Old 09-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,141
So far, I've had the best luck finding obscure parts at:

http://www.cmsnl.com/

They're in the Netherlands, and they have stuff for my 1965 ct200 that nobody else has. Stuff like pushrods, screws, etc... They may be a bit pricey, but it's all NOS OEM stuff. I've made a few big orders with them and been very happy. You can search the parts schematic for your exact model. I'm not sure if they sell just the glass, but it's worth a look.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
LeQuack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom View Post
So far, I've had the best luck finding obscure parts at:

http://www.cmsnl.com/

They're in the Netherlands, and they have stuff for my 1965 ct200 that nobody else has. Stuff like pushrods, screws, etc... They may be a bit pricey, but it's all NOS OEM stuff. I've made a few big orders with them and been very happy. You can search the parts schematic for your exact model. I'm not sure if they sell just the glass, but it's worth a look.

Cheers for the tip but sadly no glass just a full unit for over 100, I'll just shape some plexiglass not too big-a-job just a bit of a pain getting the size/shape just right.

thanks for the help tho
Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,709
I doubt the glass is considered a replaceable part. On most bikes the instruments are sealed units, there is no way to take them apart. Might be easier to use one of those TrailTech gadgets, unless you are going for a complete restoration. I have seen them for sale on eBay for fairly reasonable prices. I used a cheap Garmin eTrex GPS for a speedometer on an old Goldwing for 11,000 miles.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,141
Darn, I figured finding just the glass was a long shot. Another option, I'd keep your eyes open on ebay for an old trashed speedo that is going cheap. That way you can just lift the glass you need.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
gaijinrider
Positively positive

Oddometer: 63
...or you can go digital with the speedo.
There's one available at webike (http://japan.webike.net/products/9726805.html) but shipping is not free unless you buy a total of about $600 worth of goods from them. The digital tach is a Takegawa priced at $174
gaijinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
David sliver spares or DRatv may have something. Fleabay 2 . Any old bike wreckers where you live?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I doubt the glass is considered a replaceable part. On most bikes the instruments are sealed units, there is no way to take them apart. Might be easier to use one of those TrailTech gadgets, unless you are going for a complete restoration. I have seen them for sale on eBay for fairly reasonable prices. I used a cheap Garmin eTrex GPS for a speedometer on an old Goldwing for 11,000 miles.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here....... They might be work to get into, but most all gauges are serviceable in one way or another. Don't discourage the guy because YOU don't want to take the time and patience to do it.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #9
LeQuack OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the help guys

sadly CT's are pretty rare here in the UK so finding another for cheap is gonna be hard, Also its a K1(1969) with the speedo's built into the headlight bucket so swapping it out for another means I would also need a new bucket

While the speedo are a sealed unit I found a good guide showing one being taken apart just needs some time and careful work. http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/topic/...and-Reassembly
Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeQuack View Post
Thanks for the help guys

sadly CT's are pretty rare here in the UK so finding another for cheap is gonna be hard, Also its a K1(1969) with the speedo's built into the headlight bucket so swapping it out for another means I would also need a new bucket

While the speedo are a sealed unit I found a good guide showing one being taken apart just needs some time and careful work. http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/topic/...and-Reassembly
Then I would sugest that taking into a real glass place that can use the speed as a template and cut you a new peace in going to be the way to go but theres this one on fleabay over there . http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-ho...item4187656f9a

after a little looking there seem to lots of them on fleabay . It was common to use the same parts on more then one scooter to save cost . For under 10 of you pounds it worth buying one just for glass. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...meter&_sacat=0
Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #11
LeQuack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
It was common to use the same parts on more then one scooter to save cost .
Good shout, The K1 has a one year only speedo and its built directly into the headlight so I wasn't hoping for much but looks like it was pulled from the honda dax which was sold in the UK, I can even get reproduction speedometers if I need a completely new one for any reason

LeQuack screwed with this post 09-26-2014 at 02:27 AM
LeQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeQuack View Post
Good shout, The K1 has a one year only speedo and its built directly into the headlight so I wasn't hoping for much but looks like it was pulled from the honda dax which was sold in the UK, I can even get reproduction speedometers if I need a completely new one for any reason
You main the honda ct 70 min bike as it s called here.? Glad I could help that means I can now be a jerk the rest of the year.