User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
AZstrommer OP
Long may she wave!

Oddometer: 969
Helix meltdown

My son called me today to tell me his Helix was running rough and had little power. It's a 2000 Helix with 52K miles on it.

He rode over and I heard it - Pretty loud with backfiring and chugging around.

We removed the seat and holy meltdown, batman! The inner side of the airbox and rubber boot were totally melted! I seems the exhaust gasket that joins the exhaust manifold to the muffler was blown out so extremely hot gases were blowing on the airbox.

Anyone ever had this happen?

AZ

We can't negate who we are, who we were, what we've done. Who we've loved, who we've hurt. Part of our human fabric. Who are are. I am the sum of all I have done before. I am imperfect, I am flawed. I am, however, aware of that. I desire happiness, I long for joy, always knowing the price, the balance. - Sabre
AZstrommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
each time the exhaust is removed, Honda says that the exhaust gasket must be replaced. So basically when you change the tire you have to take off the exhaust. Without replacing the gasket it can leak, once a leak occurs it will get worst and worst.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,059
Nope never seen that but I ve seen blown muffler gaskets direct hot air up towards that area. There s almost no way not to know that the gaskets gone unless you ignore the loud muffler sound. Also riding around to long like that leads to burn vales. At 52 thousand miles the helix may need a real look at including a pressure test to see if the engine is healthy still. As is ebay has replacement air boxes cheap.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
cdwise
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Nope never seen that but I ve seen blown muffler gaskets direct hot air up towards that area. There s almost no way not to know that the gaskets gone unless you ignore the loud muffler sound. Also riding around to long like that leads to burn vales. At 52 thousand miles the helix may need a real look at including a pressure test to see if the engine is healthy still. As is ebay has replacement air boxes cheap.
This ^^^.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Vespa

A 'la the modern, large framed Vespas. Same Achilles heel.

When those exhaust gaskets fail they often take the rear brake line with them.

Carry a spare, and replace often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
each time the exhaust is removed, Honda says that the exhaust gasket must be replaced. So basically when you change the tire you have to take off the exhaust. Without replacing the gasket it can leak, once a leak occurs it will get worst and worst.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #6
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
My Elite's exhaust doesn't fit too well so I have to use 2 exhaust gaskets. Next time I need to replace it I think I'll try to make a copper crush washer for it instead.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
AZstrommer OP
Long may she wave!

Parts are on the way to fix the meltdown. Thank goodness for eBay! I did order several of the exhaust gaskets for future rear wheel removals.

AZ

We can't negate who we are, who we were, what we've done. Who we've loved, who we've hurt. Part of our human fabric. Who are are. I am the sum of all I have done before. I am imperfect, I am flawed. I am, however, aware of that. I desire happiness, I long for joy, always knowing the price, the balance. - Sabre
Old 04-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
cdwise
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstrommer View Post
Parts are on the way to fix the meltdown. Thank goodness for eBay! I did order several of the exhaust gaskets for future rear wheel removals.

AZ
Sounds like you have things well in hand then. Exhaust gaskets were one of the few spare parts I took on the scooter cannonball. :)
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
fullmetalscooter

The yahoo ch250 group has had some of them make up these gaskets out of copper or brass pipes cut to fit . Also some of made up gaskets out of bare copper wire thread around and around. I hope your sons bike turns out to be ok .
Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
yeah I was thinking of using copper pipe.

Use copper pipe that's slightly larger diameter then the gasket.
Cut two sections the length I need.
Cut a section down the pipe so I can compress it.
Then just fit them in. one inside the other so it's a little thicker.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
AZstrommer OP
Long may she wave!

All the parts except the muffler joint gasket arrived last night. Airbox is installed and looks great. Tracking says missing gasket will be here today.

Watching the mailbox...

AZ

Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I've had that happen while riding on Hwy 99. Actually the downtube to the muffler went too. It seemed pretty loud, and the flames coming out made it pretty obvious. I had to put it in a storage unit somewhere near Sacramento for a few months.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
AZstrommer OP
Long may she wave!

Back together and running fine...except...

Appears to be some oil in the coolant overflow tank.

Where do I start?

AZ

Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
fullmetalscooter

Well change out the coolent and see if it happens again ? Drain it , Flush it out . Start with fresh stuff. If you get more oil your head gasket is gone but full set of clone gasket are 20 bucks from scrappy dog scooters online. If if there is issue also at the same time with over heating then Its the head gasket I feel. 15 Min ride around you neighborhood should show if there's oil in the system again. Where you put the Rad cap is under the front plastic on the right side .
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
AZstrommer OP
Long may she wave!

Thanks. Will do it tomorrow after work.

AZ