Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #271
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,530
I'm also tired of playing that game. That's why I haven't bought anything yet. Since 2005, I have bought and sold a brand new Kawasaki Eliminator 125, Ninja 250 ('07 old style) a Honda Recon 250 quad, and an '09 Ninja 500. Both Ninjas were big mistakes. I put a lot of miles on the little Eliminator and had a lot of fun, but I paid too much for it, and lost a lot when I sold it. I would still have the quad, but the people I was riding with moved away, and I sold my 8 mpg truck. I also bought, and still have, and intend to keep, my '08 Vino 125, '09 Genuine Stella, and '12 Zuma 125. I also bought and sold a used Honda Rebel, and a used Goldwing. Lost money on both those too. I still have my '02 Vulcan 750 and an XT225 with a lot of mods and a nearly complete parts bike with an almost new engine. Time to quit buying and start riding what I have.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #272
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Forza release date

I know effective last week Honda started taking orders from dealers but WHY can't we be told when they will start arriving in showrooms? I've heard August and September.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #273
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I know effective last week Honda started taking orders from dealers but WHY can't we be told when they will start arriving in showrooms? I've heard August and September.
No one wants to commit to a date when they don't know if they'll be able to get any till later than that.

They're having the same issue with not being able to keep up in Europe where they've been selling them for a few months already. I read somewhere that the UK hasn't gotten any (or very few) but was supposed to have them in April.

Hard to tell if it's because of really high demand or if they've had production issues. (I'm guessing demand is actually that high.)
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #274
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Forza delivery date

Whatever the problem I'm about ready to tell them to stick it and keep my beautiful Sportster.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #275
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
Whatever the problem I'm about ready to tell them to stick it and keep my beautiful Sportster.
Yeah I would go with the Sportster.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #276
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Wow! I was considering the Kymco People 300 so I could feel just a bit more secure on longer trips than my People 150. Now Honda comes out with this.

Which one? I mean, I could probably get the Kymco cheaper out the door, but when I'm 1000 miles away from home in b.f.e., the Honda dealership network would sure come in handy...

Which one? I'm interested in a smaller bike than the KLR (if you can believe that) because one of the things I love about motorcycling is the cheap travel aspect, and 300 class motorcycles/scooters seem to be the sweet spot for enough power with good mileage.

So which one? I know you people can throw some opinions out here...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #277
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
The People 300 and Forza are totally different style of scooters. The people has an upright seating position while the Forza is a Maxi Scooter. Which do you prefer? As for dealer support, no one except maybe Harley can match Honda's dealer network but Kymco has a pretty extensive dealer network too. I have a good local Kymco dealer. How are your local Honda and Kymco dealers?

Some things to consider:
-16" wheels on the Kymco VS smaller wheels on the Forza. Which do you prefer?
-Under seat will be much better on the Forza.
-Kymco has 2 year warrantee.
-Kymco claims 54 degree leans angle. I don't know about the Forza but I seriously doubt it's as good. Maxi Scooters with there smaller wheels tend to have limited cornering clearance. There are exceptions like the T-max. This is a big deal if you ride hard through the curves, not a big deal if you don't.
-Brakes. All Honda scooters seem to have linked brakes. The Kymco does not. The Kymco does not have ABS in the USA. Does the Forza? Is this important to you? Personally I hate linked brakes but it's not as big of a deal if they also have ABS.
-Price. You should be able to get the Kymco well under MSRP. Expect to pay MSRP plus lots of fees on the Honda. The Kymco will probably be way less OTD than the Honda.
-Service intervals. Kymco requires more frequent valve adjustments. Not sure about everything else. Usually it's easier to get to the motor on an upright scooter like the people than the Maxi style scoots but you'd need to do some research to find the details on these two.
-The DT300 is probably more comparable to the Forza than the People is.

I'd probably go with the Kymco but then you probably have different priorities than I do. If at all possible, take them both for a test ride. My Kymco dealer allows test rides but it may be difficult to get one on the Honda.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 01:00 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #278
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Forza

Valves only need adjusted every 16,000 miles. I'd definitely buy Honda quality. I'm getting one as soon as they are available.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #279
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I think we all know Honda has a better dealer network, but from my experience Honda dealers tend to know next to nothing about their scooters and so I'm assuming they wouldn't be as reliable when it comes to fixing them as their motorcycles. The Kymco dealers, though rarer, are going to know their way around a scooter.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #280
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,319
Kymco has 600 dealers in the US and wants to get to 1000 to 1100. Around here all the Honda dealers also sell Kymcos.

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/t...-more-dealers/

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #281
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Sctually, *I think it will come down to the Forza or the Downtown 300 which, after more looking, seems to be better than the people for touring.

Still, decisions, decisions. I'll wait until I can sit on both...there's plenty of time...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #282
Jerry_R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
What does it do that a Kymco Downtown 300 won't do?
Few comments from EU agglomeration commuter:

1) DT300 is wide (81 cm), is much less useful for traffic filtering (FORZA 300 is only 1 cm wider than Honda SH)
2) DT300 doesn't allow you to put your legs on higher footrest (who knows why it was added at all? It is not for shorter people, as they would have difficulties to put their feet on the ground)
3) It doesn't offer Combined ABS, which is very usefull in cities, at lower speeds, with passenger, etc.
4) Seat is higher (77.5 cm) than on FORZA (71.6 cm)

BUT:
- Kymco DT300i has great acceleration - better than many 400 cms maxi scooters (eg. Majesty 400)
- Kymco DT300i has great fuel consumption - avg. 3.5 L \ 100km

I now am having another consideration:
- wait till September for FORZA 300
- buy new Burgman 400 with lowered price (but manuf. year 2010, 2011, 2012).

PS:
Kymco People is different kind of a scooter - kind of a counterpart for Honda SH, not Forza.
Jerry_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #283
JerryH
Vintage Rider

While the Kymco People 300GTi IS very different from the Forza, it is more my type of scooter. First of all, it does not have combined brakes, or ABS, which I see as a huge plus. Then there is the fact that it has larger wheels, a shorter wheelbase, and a taller seat, all of which should make it more comfortable for someone my size 6' 225 pounds, and it should also handle better, more motorcycle like.

Kymco wheelbase 57.1 Forza wheelbase 60.9

Kymco seat height 31.9 Forza seat height 28.2

Kymco wheel diameter 16" F/R Forza wheel diameter 14"F/13"R

The Kymco has dimensions much closer to a traditional scooter. And while I prefer smaller wheels for aesthetic reasons (I like the Vespa style of scooter) the larger wheels do have functional advantages.

Add that to the fact that a Kymco can probably be gotten OTD for about $1K less than the Forza (Japanese brand dealers here consider Kymco competition, and do not sell them. If they did, they would be a whole lot more expensive after all the fees) and that makes it the clear winner for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #284
Jerry_R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I am considering opposite route: SH -> Forza (am also considering AN400 now, any advices?).

I am tired with SH blocked legs position. I commute, give my son a lift to school and occasionally travel shortly outside city.
I would like to continue commuting, giving my son lifts and to start travelling abroad (I live in EU).

I used to have DT300 (3.5 L \ 100km) - sold - too wide for very heavy traffic filtering.
I used to have Yamaha Xenter 150 (3.0 L \ 100km) - great for filtering, great acceleration.
I replaced it with Honda SH150i (2.8 L \ 100km) - only due to ABS and better space under the seat.

I liked Yamaha Xenter more, it was better for me than SH, but no ABS. I feel worse, more restricted on SH.
On Xenter I could easily put much more things on the fully flat floor. If only it had ABS...

So now Forza seems to be best candidate for my needs. Not too wide, hopefully not so heavy, enough for my needs engine capacity, hopefully economic (I never reached manufacturer advertised fuel economy), useful in city, at lower speeds C-ABS and finally - I could start travelling further.

Another option would be 2 scooters, but I would like to avoid it.
Jerry_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #285
JerryH
Vintage Rider

It's just a matter of personal preference and what you are going to use it for. It is illegal to "filter" between traffic here, so that is not an issue. I have never ridden either one, but have a Yamaha Vino 125, Zuma 125, and a Genuine Stella. I love the seating positions on the Vino and the Zuma, but would like freeway capability. The People GTi 300 seems to have about the same seating position and overall layout, only with larger wheels. I like scooters to be as short as possible.