Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #271
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I think we all know Honda has a better dealer network, but from my experience Honda dealers tend to know next to nothing about their scooters and so I'm assuming they wouldn't be as reliable when it comes to fixing them as their motorcycles. The Kymco dealers, though rarer, are going to know their way around a scooter.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #272
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,578
Sctually, *I think it will come down to the Forza or the Downtown 300 which, after more looking, seems to be better than the people for touring.

Still, decisions, decisions. I'll wait until I can sit on both...there's plenty of time...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #273
Jerry_R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
What does it do that a Kymco Downtown 300 won't do?
Few comments from EU agglomeration commuter:

1) DT300 is wide (81 cm), is much less useful for traffic filtering (FORZA 300 is only 1 cm wider than Honda SH)
2) DT300 doesn't allow you to put your legs on higher footrest (who knows why it was added at all? It is not for shorter people, as they would have difficulties to put their feet on the ground)
3) It doesn't offer Combined ABS, which is very usefull in cities, at lower speeds, with passenger, etc.
4) Seat is higher (77.5 cm) than on FORZA (71.6 cm)

BUT:
- Kymco DT300i has great acceleration - better than many 400 cms maxi scooters (eg. Majesty 400)
- Kymco DT300i has great fuel consumption - avg. 3.5 L \ 100km

I now am having another consideration:
- wait till September for FORZA 300
- buy new Burgman 400 with lowered price (but manuf. year 2010, 2011, 2012).

PS:
Kymco People is different kind of a scooter - kind of a counterpart for Honda SH, not Forza.
Jerry_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #274
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
While the Kymco People 300GTi IS very different from the Forza, it is more my type of scooter. First of all, it does not have combined brakes, or ABS, which I see as a huge plus. Then there is the fact that it has larger wheels, a shorter wheelbase, and a taller seat, all of which should make it more comfortable for someone my size 6' 225 pounds, and it should also handle better, more motorcycle like.

Kymco wheelbase 57.1 Forza wheelbase 60.9

Kymco seat height 31.9 Forza seat height 28.2

Kymco wheel diameter 16" F/R Forza wheel diameter 14"F/13"R

The Kymco has dimensions much closer to a traditional scooter. And while I prefer smaller wheels for aesthetic reasons (I like the Vespa style of scooter) the larger wheels do have functional advantages.

Add that to the fact that a Kymco can probably be gotten OTD for about $1K less than the Forza (Japanese brand dealers here consider Kymco competition, and do not sell them. If they did, they would be a whole lot more expensive after all the fees) and that makes it the clear winner for me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #275
Jerry_R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I am considering opposite route: SH -> Forza (am also considering AN400 now, any advices?).

I am tired with SH blocked legs position. I commute, give my son a lift to school and occasionally travel shortly outside city.
I would like to continue commuting, giving my son lifts and to start travelling abroad (I live in EU).

I used to have DT300 (3.5 L \ 100km) - sold - too wide for very heavy traffic filtering.
I used to have Yamaha Xenter 150 (3.0 L \ 100km) - great for filtering, great acceleration.
I replaced it with Honda SH150i (2.8 L \ 100km) - only due to ABS and better space under the seat.

I liked Yamaha Xenter more, it was better for me than SH, but no ABS. I feel worse, more restricted on SH.
On Xenter I could easily put much more things on the fully flat floor. If only it had ABS...

So now Forza seems to be best candidate for my needs. Not too wide, hopefully not so heavy, enough for my needs engine capacity, hopefully economic (I never reached manufacturer advertised fuel economy), useful in city, at lower speeds C-ABS and finally - I could start travelling further.

Another option would be 2 scooters, but I would like to avoid it.
Jerry_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #276
JerryH
Banned

It's just a matter of personal preference and what you are going to use it for. It is illegal to "filter" between traffic here, so that is not an issue. I have never ridden either one, but have a Yamaha Vino 125, Zuma 125, and a Genuine Stella. I love the seating positions on the Vino and the Zuma, but would like freeway capability. The People GTi 300 seems to have about the same seating position and overall layout, only with larger wheels. I like scooters to be as short as possible.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #277
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Forza ship date to dealers

After talking to a couple dealers today I learned that just today Honda has said Forza's will begin shipping to dealers about August 26. Why are there so many post about size, seat height etc. What scooter is best. Those things are just opinions. Lets talk about price, availability, and when they will be available. People that don't know if they wanta Forza or Kimko need to post somewhere else.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #278
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
After talking to a couple dealers today I learned that just today Honda has said Forza's will begin shipping to dealers about August 26. Why are there so many post about size, seat height etc. What scooter is best. Those things are just opinions. Lets talk about price, availability, and when they will be available. People that don't know if they wanta Forza or Kimko need to post somewhere else.
It's true I am only guessing about what I would like best. I would not buy either without at least sitting on it. I can get a test ride on the Kymco, probably not on the Honda. I would not pass up a great deal on the Honda if it passed the "sit test" , but I don't expect there to be any good deals available on it. MSRP is not bad, but then Honda has added a $310 destination charge, and the dealer is likely to add several hundred more in fees. Most Kymco dealers don't do that. For $1000 less, I would take the Kymco over the Honda, even if I slightly preferred the Honda, just to save money, and avoid being scammed. With Kymco, just like Honda, at least you know the quality is there. And the Kymco riding position looks to be almost identical to my Vino 125 and Zuma 125.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #279
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Forza prices

I'll bet I've talked to 15 or more dealers. Most are ready to deal. By that I mean I've had a dealer offer me the first one for $5499 ($100 off msrp). NO freight, set up or paperwork fees. Just call around. I've had several dealers offer the same deal. $5499 OUT THE DOOR plus sales tax.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #280
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I'll bet I've talked to 15 or more dealers. Most are ready to deal. By that I mean I've had a dealer offer me the first one for $5499 ($100 off msrp). NO freight, set up or paperwork fees. Just call around. I've had several dealers offer the same deal. $5499 OUT THE DOOR plus sales tax.
You must live in wonderland. That is not going to happen here. Despite the economy being really bad here, people seem willing to seriously overpay for such things. $50,000 crew cab 4 wheel drive trucks are selling faster than dealers can get them in. These things get around 8 mpg. The sales tax on one is $5000. I could buy a decent truck for just the sales tax. Somebody has money, but it isn't me.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #281
pilotguy299
Given up...

Oddometer: 1,855
From what I have read, the Forza seems like it would fit the bill for what I am looking for in a scooter. I just wish that Honda would offer it in all three colors here in the US. Not a fan of the red.
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #282
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Forza ship date to dealers

I talked to a Powerhouse dealer in Colorado and he said two Forza's are due to ship to them on August 28.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #283
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Wow! I was considering the Kymco People 300 so I could feel just a bit more secure on longer trips than my People 150. Now Honda comes out with this.

Which one? I mean, I could probably get the Kymco cheaper out the door, but when I'm 1000 miles away from home in b.f.e., the Honda dealership network would sure come in handy...

Which one? I'm interested in a smaller bike than the KLR (if you can believe that) because one of the things I love about motorcycling is the cheap travel aspect, and 300 class motorcycles/scooters seem to be the sweet spot for enough power with good mileage.

So which one? I know you people can throw some opinions out here...
If you are looking to tour the GTi 300 has a couple of limitations. First it has a 9L gas tank. That's even smaller than the 10L tank on my Citycom. I wouldn't want smaller for travel. A more serious drawback is the underseat location of the filler. What a pain! Not only would you have to be constantly stopping while on the superslab, but you would have to unpack your gear each time. Whoever thought that up wasn't.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #284
gizmo309
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Anyone seen one yet? My dealer says sometime in August but they haven't given a firm date. Maybe some parts of the country are already getting them/

Bob
gizmo309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #285
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo309 View Post
Anyone seen one yet? My dealer says sometime in August but they haven't given a firm date. Maybe some parts of the country are already getting them/

Bob
I saw a couple last week. I was in Spain. I was surprised at how plain it looked. Actually, it looks pretty much like you'd expect an updated Reflex to look. The seat appeared pretty low (which is why I want it) but I couldn't try it out as it was just parked on the street. I kept watching for a Honda dealer but never saw one.

I'd guess they will come out in about 1 month - just close to the end of the riding season for many parts of the country. Good move Honda!

JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote