ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #31
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 12,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Last year we heard the stories of how crappy it was in Bend.
Lots of snow there, above us, at the Crooked River,
we saw lots of clouds blowing quickly over,
and got just a little bit of weather.
Trust me.......it'll be awesome


I've ridden with you enough that if Ida seen you do that,
I wouldn't have been surprised at all
Actually, I have, but it was only an XL500. It weighs less with me on it than my 950 does with me off it.
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by boerbebop View Post
I might interested in this adventure. What is the normal count of "souls" who partake?
Normal?? ......
There is nothing about camping on the Crooked River in March
........that could possibly be considered normal.

This location can accommodate 5 or 50 and no-one would notice or care.


Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
I'm willing to do it again,....

count me in.........

.......bring wood, were going to need a bigger fire!
It was a bit cold......
I just might join you up on the Millican plateau this year, so.....
.....bring your camera
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer
 
smilin jack's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lebanon Oregon
Oddometer: 1,226
Rider Lineup 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerbebop View Post
I might interested in this adventure. What is the normal count of "souls" who partake?
Here's a rider lineup the first morning of the 2012 ride. More riders showed later.



My DR is in the back next to the white truck while taking this photo.

I plan on attending again... and maybe Frank (fbritt5) will tag along. Frank, bring your camper. That wind and snow was TOO COLD for me.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #34
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer
 
Scott_PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Portland...the newer one on the left side.
Oddometer: 3,035
For those on the fence, and not sure what the riding is like in this area in March - Here's a little dual sport video I took last year. Starts at the top of one of the local hills and ends up in camp.


Spring Brake WR250R on Crooked River Oregon from Scott Brown on Vimeo.
__________________
2014 KTM 690R, 2009 KLR650, 2004 KTM 450 EXC, 2000 R1150GS

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #35
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer
 
Scott_PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Portland...the newer one on the left side.
Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post

You brought your pole last year, right?
Maybe one day we should just start drinking at 9am, stay in camp and fish all day,
....take a nap before the muddy crew gets back from Millican,
and then I'll cook up some trout and rice surprise for dinner !!
Yep, Jessie and I caught a half dozen 8"ers. Later on I noticed one of the lower campgrounds had some nice looking casting platforms that might be fun if there are any risers. Not sure if it's C & R or not there, better check the regs. Had such a good time last year, I might drag it out a day longer. Still planning on wussing out with the RV, may drag a little Orange play bike I picked up recently as well - It's street "legal-ish".
__________________
2014 KTM 690R, 2009 KLR650, 2004 KTM 450 EXC, 2000 R1150GS

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
Squishy
Positively charged
 
Squishy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, PNW.
Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
For those on the fence, and not sure what the riding is like in this area in March - Here's a little dual sport video I took last year. Starts at the top of one of the local hills and ends up in camp.
Thanks Scott,
Nice looking back roads, i like it like that! cept...i could hear you eating your cornflakes the whole time.
__________________
Tasty.....like fish and chips tasty
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #37
rockyroad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: ZIG ZAG OREGON
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Yep, Jessie and I caught a half dozen 8"ers. Later on I noticed one of the lower campgrounds had some nice looking casting platforms that might be fun if there are any risers. Not sure if it's C & R or not there, better check the regs. Had such a good time last year, I might drag it out a day longer. Still planning on wussing out with the RV, may drag a little Orange play bike I picked up recently as well - It's street "legal-ish".
Lets hear a little more about your new orange playbike.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #38
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer
 
Scott_PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Portland...the newer one on the left side.
Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecows View Post
Lets hear a little more about your new orange playbike.

A winter project, 2004 KTM EXC 450. Feeling guilty about beating my WR250R up on gnarly rides, so thought there was room for a dirt bike I wouldn't mind dropping as much. Something light I could haul to riding areas to explore, and maybe try the trails a bit more without 30lbs of gear strapped to the bike. The more I looked, the more I wanted a Headlight, Magic button and, darn it's hard to give up a plate if I don't have to. This one had "lowish" hours (132), and had what I wanted, so thought I'd give it a try. Have yet to ride it anywhere but my neighborhood, and slowly at that...this thing GROWLS! A couple more weekends of projects before it's maiden voyage.

Know any noob dirt riders?

__________________
2014 KTM 690R, 2009 KLR650, 2004 KTM 450 EXC, 2000 R1150GS

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #39
matloik
kludge
 
matloik's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: PDX | Hood River
Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
A winter project, 2004 KTM EXC 450. Feeling guilty about beating my WR250R up on gnarly rides, so thought there was room for a dirt bike I wouldn't mind dropping as much. Something light I could haul to riding areas to explore, and maybe try the trails a bit more without 30lbs of gear strapped to the bike. The more I looked, the more I wanted a Headlight, Magic button and, darn it's hard to give up a plate if I don't have to. This one had "lowish" hours (132), and had what I wanted, so thought I'd give it a try. Have yet to ride it anywhere but my neighborhood, and slowly at that...this thing GROWLS! A couple more weekends of projects before it's maiden voyage.

Know any noob dirt riders?
Excellent! Now you're all set to come out to Hood River to do some OHV riding ... probably Apr after the snow melts.
__________________
'08 Versys & '08 450 EXC-R / '11 G650GS & '06 KLX250S (wife's)
Portland Area Off Pavement Rides ~ Hood River Rides ~ Vancouver Island Trip
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #40
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Excellent! Now you're all set to come out to Hood River to do some OHV riding ... probably June after the snow melts.
fitzed


Are YOU coming to Chimney Rock, Mat?
Or are you just a trailie guy, now?

We promise not to laugh if you ride your Versys.
Unless it's after 6:30pm,....because by then, we laugh at everything
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #41
matloik
kludge
 
matloik's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: PDX | Hood River
Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
fitzed


Are YOU coming to Chimney Rock, Mat?
Or are you just a trailie guy, now?

We promise not to laugh if you ride your Versys.
Unless it's after 6:30pm,....because by then, we laugh at everything
I'll hitch-carrier the KTM down with my van, which I'll sleep in--and laugh at you in the morning as you scrape frost off yer tent.
__________________
'08 Versys & '08 450 EXC-R / '11 G650GS & '06 KLX250S (wife's)
Portland Area Off Pavement Rides ~ Hood River Rides ~ Vancouver Island Trip
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #42
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
I'll hitch-carrier the KTM down with my van, which I'll sleep in--and laugh at you in the morning as you scrape frost off yer tent.
Fair enough


You'll hafta get up pretty fuggin early to do that,
chances are, I'll have coffee and breakfast already in me before you climb out of that big red cave....
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #43
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
A winter project, 2004 KTM EXC 450. Feeling guilty about beating my WR250R up on gnarly rides
Excellent!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Look at that....up in the top right of the pic....
He's got his first KTM, and it's used even,
...but he still buys the Liquid Gold Motorex oil for it at $18/litre

.....and your first bike was a KLR? What's up with that?


I'm guessing you're expecting a long relationship with this bike
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #44
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer
 
Scott_PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Portland...the newer one on the left side.
Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Excellent!!

Look at that....up in the top right of the pic....
He's got his first KTM, and it's used even,
...but he still buys the Liquid Gold Motorex oil for it at $18/litre

.....and your first bike was a KLR? What's up with that?


I'm guessing you're expecting a long relationship with this bike
I figured I'd treat her well by startin with "Champagne" before I begin feedin her the "Hamms".
__________________
2014 KTM 690R, 2009 KLR650, 2004 KTM 450 EXC, 2000 R1150GS

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #45
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Mt. Hood
Oddometer: 552
Just thought I'd throw this out there if there are any ladies thinking they might like to go to this and don't want to be the only estrogen unit in camp. I will likley trailer down and bring the dogs with me, as long as it looks like the weather isn't going to be horrible.
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014