User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Cobain OP
night owl

Oddometer: 132
advice on buying a non running cbr929rr

Ok so i need some advise from you street guys on buying a non-running 00 cbr929rr. This is what he said about it.

Was running great before it went down (about 5mph). Not running now no battery & stator cover broke. Just ordered the mid fairing, the only fairing it needs & have a stator cover. I just have other projects so thought i'd see if anybody wants a deal & do it them selves. About 20k miles like I said no battery so not exactly sure. 2bros exhaust, clean besides where it went down.
CLEAN TITLE
2000 obo

What do you guys think and what should i check for? Could it be blown up?
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
What do you guys think and what should i check for? Could it be blown up?
Sounds very likely to me.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Cobain OP
night owl

any way for me to get an idea of if its blown or not? because the price seems way low for just needing a stator cover.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
I don't know this model specifically but I would find a way to get it to turn over. Bring your own battery, jumper cables, something and spin the engine.

Is there a way to get on to the end of the crankshaft with a socket? Easy way right there.

Worst case, pull the plugs and do it by rolling the bike back and forth.

It's not a sure fire method but would go a long way towards making sure it didn't have a catastrophic failure.

2k seems high to me for a non running crashed bike but maybe that's just me.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
That price isn't low. My old co-worker bought an uncrashed 954, oil light was flashing, thought it was a code for diagnostics, for $1500, bike was less than 10,000 miles. I offered $2000 to him 10 minutes after he bought it. No dice. Took the lowers off and a wire going to the oil pressure sender was hanging loose. Plugged it back in and the light stopped flashing. He sold it the same week for $3000.

So a scuffed 929 is not cheap. $1000- maybe $1500 would be about right. If it isn't blown up. It probably isn't, but you never know for sure until you fire it up. Even a nice one is worth about $3000.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

For what it's worth, if it is a black one I'm pretty sure the same bike was for sale here in Austin on Craigslist a couple months ago. Could be that the guy never sold it here and moved, but someone could have bought it trying to make a buck and then found out it needed way more work that it is worth. IIRC, the one here had a crack in the motor mount on the case, so check for that either way.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,093
Check to make sure the engine spins, I'd use a wrench on the crankshaft or via the rear wheel.
Make sure the frame and all engine bolts and mounts are in good shape, this was iirc a pro frame bike so the swing arm pivots off a plate bolted to the engine.
Check the oil in the sight glass,
Take a flash light and really look the bike over.

If there is any sign of wonkieness I would walk away.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Dalesrider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Speaking from experience, if it has been down on that side it will need a new set of coils for the generator (even if they look ok) which aren't cheap. Would also explain why it won't run now (electrics aren't charging, so it's drained the battery). If you have a spare battery and a voltmeter it's easy to check if you can get it running.

I'd be surprised if it is blown up the mechanicals are well made, but 929 electrics are not robust judging by what I've seen on my old bike and others.

Remember the proverb '....and on the seventh day the Devil invented bike electrics'.

Much as they are a great bike I'd be wary of buying one with any 'issues'.
Dalesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
What's a pro frame bike?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 432
got a pic?
id get it for the price of 1000$
and part it out. or fix it and ride.
I had a 929 and loved it.great bike
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #11
Dalesrider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
What's a pro frame bike?
Honda went through a phase of building bikes where the frame rails from the headstock attach to the top of the engine but do not continue down to the swing arm pivot (unlike earlier models). The swing arm pivots through the engine cases and in the case of the cbr 929/954 also has a bracing piece under the engine. The idea was to separate steering and braking forces usually transmitted through the frame.

It was used on the cbr 929/954, vtr1000 and vfr800. On the cbr 929 word has it the design was not sufficiently stiff for race use on slick tyres causing the engine cases to twist, hence a poor showing on the track against the R1 Yamaha.
Dalesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Depends on how long it ran once down. Have a buddy that bought a lightly crashed bike, years ago, and found the crank bearings were toast because the bike had ran long enough after down to starve the bearings of oil.

I'm just not much a gambler I guess, but I'd be leery of any bike that had gone down and wasn't running....

If it supposedly just needs a battery to run then hit the seller up with the idea of bringing a battery. If he makes excuses, walk away.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
If it doesn't run, it's a parts bike (market value). I'd pay no more than $900 - 1000. If it has too many issues to fix, then part it out and maybe make a little money. Whether that's worth your time is up to you.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
Cobain OP
night owl

Thank you for all the feedback. The stator cover is cracked and all oil drained out. the guy said that he can put a battery out of another bike in it to see what it will do. is it safe to turn it over at all without any oil in it? or should i just roll it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 483
2k is a premium for that bike needing work. For that price he should be willing to put oil in it and turn it over. If he's hesitant he may be trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I would walk. Theres better deals to be had.