ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
AngryScot OP
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,313
Tarp poles - short length for jesse bags

I have been searching for the perfect tarp poles with no luck.
The closest I have found is this, kelty staff pole. $24

But at 21" length folded they have to go at an angle in my jesse's.
I know I could find something easy if I just put them on the rack etc, but I am looking for the "ideal" setup which would mean everything in the panniers, with the poles laying on top, this limits me to around 18".
Was even thinking of making something myself with shock cord and alum poles but that is going to take time and effort and probably more $$ etc.

So anyone found anything that works well in a short compact dissasembled package?
Or where is a good place for supplies like alum pipe in various diameters so I could make an adjustable one with thumb screw adjusters threaded into the poles?

Just playing around with all the tarp options.....

cheers!
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better
 
mark1305's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Oddometer: 5,934
Take a look in camera shops for monopod camera rests. Basically like one leg of a tripod with camera mount on top used to steady the camera while shooting. Some of the latest ones are pretty light and should telescope into a short bundle. Or if you find a tripod with suitable legs, disassemble and keep spares or share with a friend.
__________________
Mark J
Merritt Island, FL

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree
 
BENRON's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Schleisingerville
Oddometer: 3,507
Cool2



http://www.supportsusa.com/mobility/...blindcanes.htm

Just think of all the fun looks you can get when you ride in, get of the bike, open up the case and grab your "mobility cane"
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
A Google search found www.polesforyou.com ...and many others.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
AngryScot OP
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,313
will check them out thanks.
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
AngryScot OP
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
A Google search found www.polesforyou.com ...and many others.
Will send them an email, the tarp pole needs to be pretty beefy, bit more so than a flexi tent pole. I see they do teepee type stuff so that might be the ticket.
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez
 
dirty_sanchez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Louisiana, Baton Rouge
Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by benp1981


http://www.supportsusa.com/mobility/...blindcanes.htm

Just think of all the fun looks you can get when you ride in, get of the bike, open up the case and grab your "mobility cane"
I've seen it all now, a website selling canes for blind people.

Am I the only one here that finds this mildly amusing and even more confusing?

I tried feeling the canes on the screen but the canes feel just like the breasticles on that Jenna what's-her-name's website.

Dirty
__________________
No, really, the mustache means I love you.
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
MojaveGS
Loving it!
 
MojaveGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Digging in with McClaw's Div waiting for Jackson
Oddometer: 3,738
I do believe that tentpoleforyou place will custom make poles for any given tent with a section length that you give them. So in other words if you tell them it is for a Bibler Awahnee they known the length of the pole and you tell them you want the sections no longer than 17" (or whatever) and they will make them.
__________________
?OBKR
UOXOGHULBSOLIFBBWFLRVQQPRNGKSSO
TWTQSJQSSEKZZWATJKLUDIAWINFBNYP
VTTMZFPKWGDKZXTJCDIGKUHUAUEKCAR
MojaveGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
AngryScot OP
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveGS
I do believe that tentpoleforyou place will custom make poles for any given tent with a section length that you give them. So in other words if you tell them it is for a Bibler Awahnee they known the length of the pole and you tell them you want the sections no longer than 17" (or whatever) and they will make them.

That sounds like a plan! Costly but toys are toys!

Thanks Dude!
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death
 
nickatnite's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lousy-ana, learing kung pow streetfighting.
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
I have been searching for the perfect tarp poles with no luck.
The closest I have found is this, kelty staff pole. $24

But at 21" length folded they have to go at an angle in my jesse's.
I know I could find something easy if I just put them on the rack etc, but I am looking for the "ideal" setup which would mean everything in the panniers, with the poles laying on top, this limits me to around 18".
Was even thinking of making something myself with shock cord and alum poles but that is going to take time and effort and probably more $$ etc.

So anyone found anything that works well in a short compact dissasembled package?
Or where is a good place for supplies like alum pipe in various diameters so I could make an adjustable one with thumb screw adjusters threaded into the poles?

Just playing around with all the tarp options.....

cheers!
Take the shock cord out of that Kelty and cut them to fit inside your Jesse. That is what I did!
__________________
Dood, lower your expectations a little, the BMW GS isn't the Homecoming Queen OR Prom Queen, it's the band camp girl you really wanna take to the dance cause you know you are gonna have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
AngryScot OP
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite
Take the shock cord out of that Kelty and cut them to fit inside your Jesse. That is what I did!
I take it the rubber cap just comes off and you can access the knot from there?
I returned the pole to REI when I couldn't make it fit nicely.
I may try and get 2, 1 slightly smaller so I can have a nice sloped roof with ventilation options at the end, and still be able to get my tent under it.

I need to work on my stake out's too. Not easy to do with 1 person when you have no clue what you are doing!
THis made some sense, saw it after of course!


__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
oio
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oio's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Colorado Springs and Leadville, CO
Oddometer: 498
Here is a link for a source for light weight Easton aluminum tent poles.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

Their shortest is 18", but you can cut them to any length you want.
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
oio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA
 
ownst1100's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Oddometer: 994
Made my own. Found everything I needed at a local metal supply. 3/4" outside, and 5/8" inside slip fitting. Aluminum tubing came in 6' lengths. After cutting to length (12") you want install 5/8" (6"+) pieces at joints and your done. To hold the 5/8" in place I made sure I had at least 3"-4" on each side. Was already a snug fit and by simply tapping the end that stays in place with a rubber mallot making it just out of round this ensures for a good pressed fit. I still might install a pop rivet at each section although i've had no problems with the fittings yet.



I've been using my bike to hold up my tarp. Allows me to cover the table and leave my bags open keeping my bike in the shade and out of the rain. Made a nice mount for the side of my Jesse topbox. Ive got another small topper that slips inside the top pole with a 3" round disk that protects the tarp. In the picture you can also see a camera mount That also fits the top of each section. Makes for a great tri-pod.



The tubing I found came it a variety of anodized colors and sizes ranging from 1/2" up to 1 1/2". Each section is 12" + 3" for each slip fit. A total of 15" per section fits in either Jesse side bag or top box. Using the mount on my bike I can go up to 9' over the top of the bike if I use all sections. I could still add shock cord and make it all one piece but I rarely use all the sections at once.

Total cost was about $12.
__________________
Keith Rosendahl
Sun City, So,Cal
"Blues Traveler"
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
AngryScot OP
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownst1100
Made my own. Found everything I needed at a local metal supply. 3/4" outside, and 5/8" inside slip fitting. Aluminum tubing came in 6' lengths. After cutting to length (12") you want install 5/8" (6"+) pieces at joints and your done. To hold the 5/8" in place I made sure I had at least 3"-4" on each side. Was already a snug fit and by simply tapping the end that stays in place with a rubber mallot making it just out of round this ensures for a good pressed fit. I still might install a pop rivet at each section although i've had no problems with the fittings yet.



I've been using my bike to hold up my tarp. Allows me to cover the table and leave my bags open keeping my bike in the shade and out of the rain. Made a nice mount for the side of my Jesse topbox. Ive got another small topper that slips inside the top pole with a 3" round disk that protects the tarp. In the picture you can also see a camera mount That also fits the top of each section. Makes for a great tri-pod.



The tubing I found came it a variety of anodized colors and sizes ranging from 1/2" up to 1 1/2". Each section is 12" + 3" for each slip fit. A total of 15" per section fits in either Jesse side bag or top box. Using the mount on my bike I can go up to 9' over the top of the bike if I use all sections. I could still add shock cord and make it all one piece but I rarely use all the sections at once.

Total cost was about $12.
Finding a local shop that has this stuff is the next step before ordering I guess.
Good stuff, I admired this set up before in the cooking thread. The inside pipe is just snug fit right? DO they not casue an issue removing and refitting? or did you sand down the exposed insert?
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,341
you can always hacksaw 2" off each section of that pole, just remmeber to also do the same to the cord.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014