Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motociclista View Post
Any inmate driving one? Comments?
Thx

MKV sedan.. 111k drama free miles... I'm still on the original brake pads, so that should tell you how much highway driving I do.... Overall average MPG over that 111k: 46.7MPG (calculated from fuel reports not vehicle computer)

Love it... but always looking for the next thing... 335d makes me drool....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
My friend's was getting 38.5 mpg at 85mph on I19

(With DSG 6 speed)
That's it? My Passat 5 speed with the 5 cyl looks to get around 35 @ 75-80 mph from the quick test yesterday. I've always been able to kick the asss of EPA estimates (42 MPG on my 00 Civic 5 speed, 31.5 with the 97 Accord auto while running AC).

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
MKV sedan.. 111k drama free miles... I'm still on the original brake pads, so that should tell you how much highway driving I do.... Overall average MPG over that 111k: 46.7MPG (calculated from fuel reports not vehicle computer)

Love it... but always looking for the next thing... 335d makes me drool....
How far off is that thing? I'm driving my VW down to VA on Friday so I should get some hard numbers with that but I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for gas since it means I'm either eating at Reins Deli , or grabbing a sub at sheetz

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,025
The average consumption readout on both our cars is about 5% high compared to hand calculations.

The 2.5-liter five cylinder gets great mileage on the open road.....33-35mpg would not surprise me.

http://www.truedelta.com/Volkswagen-Passat/mpg-282/2012
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
jonny cash
LEGEND

Oddometer: 335
I have owned this for a little over a year. I love this car. My wife drives 350-400 miles a week, and it regularly knocks down 41 mpg. Great driving, good looking, I am very pleased with it.
jonny cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
How far off is that thing? I'm driving my VW down to VA on Friday so I should get some hard numbers with that but I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for gas since it means I'm either eating at Reins Deli , or grabbing a sub at sheetz
Need a support vehicle to follow you down?
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Need a support vehicle to follow you down?
At least a third credit card.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,035
Friend's got a '11 TDI Jetta Wagon which I ride in or drive myself nearly everyday. 31k in a year. It is "common" to have a leak from the window rails or sunroof and not see it until you look under the rear of the cargo area - 3 inches of water. Warranty covered that. Rear seat is crowded for legroom, and besides the legroom, uncomfortable after 1-2 hours. Stereo-infotainment-phone system is confusing/difficult to use. Initial braking feel is good but then turns too soft, but still works the same. I get 44 mpg in the car, friend gets 35.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
TX Spike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
My 2011 Sportwagon

I posted this in another thread, but at about 40k, my 2011 sport wagon dies in the middle lane of I45 at 70 mph traffic in the middle of Houston rush hour. Had it towed to the dealership, it was still under the power train warranty. Picked it up and the cost of repair was $5,700 to replace the fuel pump. This was on top of the $1,700 ac compressor that went out at 20k. The Kelley blue book on the car is about $20k trade last time I looked.

I have never seen 40 mpg. I average about 38 on my 80 mile a day round trip commute. I run about 75 or 80 with the AC on.

I have about 45k on it now, I will get rid of it before the power train warranty expires at 50k. Mine is fun to drive, but i just don't trust it.
TX Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Also I can chime in on the last generation TDI Jetta Wagon, I test drove one about 2 years ago but I remember it being a great driving experience. I'll put it this way, my Passat has enough torque to make it not boring to drive, the TDI is fun to drive.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Motociclista OP
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 13,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Spike View Post
I posted this in another thread, but at about 40k, my 2011 sport wagon dies in the middle lane of I45 at 70 mph traffic in the middle of Houston rush hour. Had it towed to the dealership, it was still under the power train warranty. Picked it up and the cost of repair was $5,700 to replace the fuel pump. This was on top of the $1,700 ac compressor that went out at 20k. The Kelley blue book on the car is about $20k trade last time I looked.

I have never seen 40 mpg. I average about 38 on my 80 mile a day round trip commute. I run about 75 or 80 with the AC on.

I have about 45k on it now, I will get rid of it before the power train warranty expires at 50k. Mine is fun to drive, but i just don't trust it.

Diesel or gas engine?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #27
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motociclista View Post
Diesel or gas engine?
Based on the price of the pump replacement it sounds like a diesel.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,501
My wife has a 2010 jet ta TDI sedan. 85k miles on it so far with no issues. Routine servicing costs are pricey though.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 629
I was hoping to find another one of these threads - it seems like there's always a thread on how unbelievable TDIs are.

Yesterday I drove a TDI Golf, and then a GTI. I found the GTI to be much, much more fun. The TDI's torque was fine and would be a good daily driver if you have a long commute. Both models were well built, and the engines were both plenty strong for the car's intended use. The diesel was not as exciting as a gas motor for me though.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
The average consumption readout on both our cars is about 5% high compared to hand calculations.

The 2.5-liter five cylinder gets great mileage on the open road.....33-35mpg would not surprise me.

http://www.truedelta.com/Volkswagen-Passat/mpg-282/2012
I swear it has actually gotten better over the last two years... but it used to say I was getting 48-52mpg... the calculations from the fuel reports have been virtually flat the entire time I have owned it...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: