Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #106
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Spike View Post
Thats pretty interesting that there are 327 pages of posts on the HPFP, especially considering that when mine went out I asked my vw service rep if they ever saw it before, he said no, and then told me I was lucky it was under warranty cause it was a $5,700 repair
It used to be a $10k repair.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #107
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
2010 Sportwagen, 67,xxx miles.

Love it. Early on I used to try to get great mileage then I just started having fun. I track every tank and my average mpg for the first 50,000 miles was 37.5.

Pet peeves are the door locks (sometimes they work, sometimes they don't) and the fact that we can't get the hitch / wiring package available in Europe.

As others have said you need to put on the miles for the diesel to pay off.

For what you pay it is one of the best highway cars you can buy.

I installed Westfalia towbars on every VW we've owned. Purchased from the UK, the cost including shipping is less than the sites selling them in the US. Plus they have them in stock and usually arrive in 5 days from ordering.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/

Good people to deal with.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #108
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I installed Westfalia towbars on every VW we've owned. Purchased from the UK, the cost including shipping is less than the sites selling them in the US. Plus they have them in stock and usually arrive in 5 days from ordering.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/

Good people to deal with.
:facepalm

TDI is my first VW since I was 17.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #109
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
I have a 2011 Golf TDI with the six speed. It's the nicest car I've ever driven (which may not be saying much, if you saw some of the beaters I've owned...). Fantastic fuel economy, handles great, comfortable, amazingly spacious inside. I love the torque, especially going over mountain passes.

We drive a lot less than we used to, though -- I've put only about 13k miles on it in the year and a half that I've owned it. I've been thinking a lot recently about selling it, because I'm just not using it like it was designed for. Honestly, someone with a long commute should be driving it.

It's a tough decision, though, because it's so nice to drive (and the heated seats are total luxury on cold mornings). If I sell it I will miss it, but it might be the right call.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #110
Gastonian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
I have a 2011 Golf TDI with the six speed. It's the nicest car I've ever driven (which may not be saying much, if you saw some of the beaters I've owned...). Fantastic fuel economy, handles great, comfortable, amazingly spacious inside. I love the torque, especially going over mountain passes.

We drive a lot less than we used to, though -- I've put only about 13k miles on it in the year and a half that I've owned it. I've been thinking a lot recently about selling it, because I'm just not using it like it was designed for. Honestly, someone with a long commute should be driving it.

It's a tough decision, though, because it's so nice to drive (and the heated seats are total luxury on cold mornings). If I sell it I will miss it, but it might be the right call.
I don't think that it would be the right call at all because:
  1. you obviously love the car
  2. being a 2011 you will probably loose your ass selling or worse trading it in
  3. you might hate the new replacement
I have been down the same rode many times before and have lost a lot of money trying to find the right car or truck for my ever changing needs. I finally realized that there is no perfect configuration and that no matter what there is always a compromise to be made.
Good luck.
Gastonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #111
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,186
I have a pre-approved loan and a USAA buyers assistance package sitting right in front of me for a 2013 TDI Sportwagen. I am looking for a second car to supplement the 10mpg 2001 Chevy 2500 HD that I love, but hate to fill up Just trying to figure out if I REALLY NEED this car.. or just REALLY WANT this car I am the king of finding ways to spend money to save money... at least that is how I justify things.

mrt10x screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 01:00 PM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #112
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I have a pre-approved loan and a USAA buyers assistance package sitting right in front of me for a 2013 TDI Sportwagen. I am looking for a second car to supplement the 10mpg 2001 Chevy 2500 HD that I love, but hate to fill up Just trying to figure out if I REALLY NEED this car.. or just REALLY WANT this car I am the king of finding ways to spend money to save money... at least that is how I justify things.
Since you're close I could swing by in my TDI and you could see / ride in one with 70k.

Or you could just get the 2013 and be done with it. It's a great car.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #113
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Since you're close I could swing by in my TDI and you could see / ride in one with 70k.

Or you could just get the 2013 and be done with it. It's a great car.
Everything in RI is close If I could manage to get out of work I would probably be headed over to Balise right now.. dam Marines and their criminal ways are really screwing up my mojo this week.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #114
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastonian View Post
I have been down the same rode many times before and have lost a lot of money trying to find the right car or truck for my ever changing needs. I finally realized that there is no perfect configuration and that no matter what there is always a compromise to be made.

So, so true. What is perfect today is always lacking tomorrow.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #115
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,977
You guys were right about the mpg read out vs reality. I just went from MA to VA and while it was all highway I did get in a couple long sections of stop and go due to accidents and fog where visibility was down to a few car lengths on I81

34.4 indicated and working out the miles vs gallons used I got 32.5. Still not too bad considering this is with winter gas. I'm hoping the 5 cyl can get up to 34-35 real mpg in the summer with pure highway driving. And the range on these cars is crazy, I got about 600 miles out of it. How far do you guys get with the TDI's

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #116
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
You guys were right about the mpg read out vs reality. I just went from MA to VA and while it was all highway I did get in a couple long sections of stop and go due to accidents and fog where visibility was down to a few car lengths on I81

34.4 indicated and working out the miles vs gallons used I got 32.5. Still not too bad considering this is with winter gas. I'm hoping the 5 cyl can get up to 34-35 real mpg in the summer with pure highway driving. And the range on these cars is crazy, I got about 600 miles out of it. How far do you guys get with the TDI's
they all do that. my subie typically reads about 1~1.5 mpg higher than reality.

my wife's beetle can get in the low 30's with the 5 cyl on the highway, so i'd imagine with a more aero package you can get mid 30's after break-in.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #117
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
How far do you guys get with the TDI's

The worst MPG I ever got with my 02 wagon was 37. For 1/2 of that tank i was pulling a 5x9 trailer with 2 motorcycles on it. I have gotten 38 once or twice with winter fuel. When people say they get 50 mpg????? It is possible and I have gotten better. But mid to upper 40's is normal for me. The wife gets a bit better in her Golf. but she is driving it! She would get better in mine too.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #118
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post
The worst MPG I ever got with my 02 wagon was 37. For 1/2 of that tank i was pulling a 5x9 trailer with 2 motorcycles on it. I have gotten 38 once or twice with winter fuel. When people say they get 50 mpg????? It is possible and I have gotten better. But mid to upper 40's is normal for me. The wife gets a bit better in her Golf. but she is driving it! She would get better in mine too.
I hear ya, I checked my MPG before going through switchbacks up and over a mountain and I'm sure that will drop 1 or 2 off the total

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #119
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Been driving my friends '11 TDI wagon for awhile over the past week or so...without his lead foot. The DSG system supposedly adapts to one's style with different shifts. With generally just myself aboard I decided to drive like a 240D/semi hyper mile style. In mixed town/freeway and even some steep hills driving I got 49 mpg (pump/tank, not computer). Not quite as good as I can get with my friend's gen II Prius, but in all respects it is so much of a nicer car to drive.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #120
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

I log every tank.

For the first 50k my overall mpg was 37.5 and I tend to drive efficiently, as in using my time efficiently.

Love my diesels. Currently in the process of adding an 06 Liberty CRD to the fleet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: