Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
I've had Born, Clarks and Keen. Keen are the best, followed by a close second by Born.

From a quality and comfort perspective...the Born should have won but their durablity was suspect. The few pairs Born I had weren't all that durable in the sole inside the shoe (arch support) though and were more of a dress shoe in quality of materials, fit and comfort.

The Keens are bulletproof (I like the Keen Austin) and their shape is very comfortable for everyday use.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,831
I wear those Danskos when I work as a nurse. Really comfy over a 12-13 hour shift on my feet. Good arches- better than an other shoe I have. The inside of the heal rubbed off/tore, but it's still comfortable and I'm still wearing them.
Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 749
I have no real footwear advice for you as i'm in the Army and my footwear needs are different than yours, however I do have these gucci insoles from Birkenstock of all companies that have fantastic arch support. I suffer from plantar fasciitis, so good insoles are important to me.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Check out Ecco. Given some of the shoes you used as examples, you might like this style:

http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Track-I...=40#q=track+II

They're not cheap, but they're incredibly comfortable. I bought a pair in Nordstrom by chance in 1995 or so, and I'm on my 20th pair or thereabouts; I'll wear a pair of these in high or low height 3 days out of 5. I take out the removable insole and use custom orthotics I had made 7 or 8 years ago. It works well.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #20
velofish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post

12 hours! Making custom TLSO's in house?
We farm out the TLSO's except for weekends. Thank goodness. I had a custom KO, custom art AFO's (padded, lots of straps, etc.) to delver on Saturday. Saturday was busy with those two, a TLSO at the hospital and a cranial to delver at the office. I'm finally off call and, believe me, that first beer tasted real good last night. :).

Thanks for all the shoe advice guys. Zappos is easy but only had the Borns and Clarks in medium width and my foot is a bit wide. Historically, the Clarks should be OK but I won't be surprised if the Borns go back and I have to find something else. sigh. So, all these suggestions will come in handy.

PBG, I fit nicely into the Aetrex athletic shoes in a 12 wide.

FWIW, it may finally be time to make myself some custom orthotics. My feet aren't all that bad, it's the left knee that's missing some cartilage that really screws me up.

Joihn
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,995
Aetrex Running shoes are the "Q-Last"

Its a "semi-curved" into the forefoot, with a wide toe box and shank. You'd like those Finn-Comforts if you have 350 bills to drop.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #22
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by velofish View Post
My feet aren't all that bad, it's the left knee that's missing some cartilage that really screws me up.
I'm hoping that that's one of the tissues they can start growing in the lab from a cheek scraping.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
velofish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I'm hoping that that's one of the tissues they can start growing in the lab from a cheek scraping.
You and me both, man.

I look at those Finn Comforts PBG, but that is a hell of a chunk of change.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #24
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,995
Not denying it.

Lots of good shoes out for not much, most Orthotist just buy something from one of the diabetic shoe mfg's - if for nothing other than showing clients that depth shoes are sexy.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
+1 on the Ecco, you have got to at least try a pair or three on and walk around the store.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: