Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #61
dudzadventure
n00b

Oddometer: 7
A guy at work told me you should check out the Salton Sea area and the China Date Ranch farm once you get to San Diego. He is kind of a wanderer and said its an interesting place. Be careful on the internet googling "date ranch". I don't want to get you in trouble with the girlfriend!

Keep up the posts and pics. We are all following you in the frozen tundra called Iowa.

dudzadventure screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 02:39 PM
dudzadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #62
Fishbonker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I am enjoying this ride report, but what I am enjoying more is the number of fellow Iowans who are following along. I donít want to hijack your RR but I donít know where else to ask this question, is there another forum on this site where members who live relatively close to each other can connect? I realize here in Iowa we are all in close proximity to each other but it would be nice for a noob like me to have some locals from the hood that is Iowa to ask questions of.
The Nimitz museum reminds me more of the island of an aircraft carrier or perhaps the foícísle of a merchy.
On another note, I subscribed to this thread. Doesnít that mean that somehow this thread pops to the top so I donít have to surf through all the ride reports to find it?
I am such a noob. But I tell ya what; Fishbokner is as close to my real name as Evomx971 is to yours.
Ride safe, and if ya can't ride safe, ride fast and fun.
I'm so old that back in the day we were called "wobblers" not "noobs".
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #63
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Yo fishbonker check the regional forums and look for your area of the midwest! And...most importantly, WELCOME TO THE ADV! This place is way addictive!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #64
Fishbonker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Yo fishbonker check the regional forums and look for your area of the midwest! And...most importantly, WELCOME TO THE ADV! This place is way addictive!
Holy crap! 200 plus pages of Iowa Roll Call! My evening, not to mention the next few, are shot to hell. Yeah, I read slow. Sothern Iowa education.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #65
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Ha ha ha! Enjoy!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #66
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
Paging 971...... Not seeing any pictures-pictures, narrative?............ Swallowed by the immensity of Texas I suppose..
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #67
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
WNWT Day 10

Ha! Not swallowed by Texas, just one long, sometimes uncomfortable, hug.

Woke up Wednesday to 22 degrees and frost on the seat. Ugh. Took my time getting packed up until it got into the 30's. Took a nice two lane road from Fredericksburg over to Blanco. The last part ran along the Blanco River... another really nice river running through this area. The banks of the rivers like the Blanco and Guadalupe are so neat and smooth, it's almost like they've been groomed. Makes them very picturesque.

From Blanco I headed south into San Antonio... at the tail end of a funeral procession for a good ways of it. Saw my first glimpse of Spanish Moss hanging from the trees, something I remembered clearly from when I was down here as a kid. I should start seeing more as I move east I imagine.

So far, this is the main cactus I've been seeing. It's been thick ever since I got south of Dallas. Apparently it's very good food and at least at one time, the ranchers would walk around with flame throwers to burn off the needles so the cows could eat it and not get hurt.

Easy drop into downtown San Antonio off of I-37. Found a place to park and walked over to the Alamo. The classic front view of the church.

Now, this is the image most people associate with the Alamo... however, as I learned during my visit, the actual church building itself played a relatively small role in the battle that occurred there. It didn't even really look like this. It didn't have a roof (it was never originally finished back in the 1700's) and the tall rounded center section (parapet) wasn't there. It was added later by US military when they put a roof on it and made it into a warehouse. During the battle, they had filled main area of the church with dirt up to the back wall so they could have some cannons aimed out the back, but those probably didn't really do much. The church's biggest contribution was as refuge for some locals that got caught up in the battle. They hid in one of the interior rooms and were released after the battle. The Alamo is considered a shrine and photos inside any of the buildings aren't allowed.

The overall Alamo mission complex was much bigger during the battle and a lot of it is under downtown San Antonio now, but historians think the final stand and hand-to-hand fighting occurred in the Long Barracks building, which at the time was two stories tall.

Proof I was there and not just sitting in my recliner in Iowa eating cheetos and drinking Natty:

It had warmed up into the low-to-mid 50's and the sun was shining. It was very nice walking about all of the Alamo complex. The Emily Morgan Hotel sit's next to the Alamo... impressive building. That's the outside wall of the Long Barracks in the foreground.

All hopped up on history, I strolled down to the Riverwalk and did a nice walking loop. This really is one of the coolest city attractions around... and while I was ok checking out the Alamo on my own; taking in the Riverwalk is something that would have been much better with The Girlfriend.

My Clif bar at lunch wore off so I ducked into the Iron Cactus, which is a little fancier place that I'd normally frequent, but as I walked by Happy Hour started at 3:00 and it was 2:59. Seemed like a sign.

Another really good pepper salsa (supposedly award winning) and at the bartender's recommendation I had the lobster tacos which were surprisingly delicious. Food and drink all for less than $10 even... sweet.

Decided to try and get out of San Antonio before rush hour. Although now I realize I should have checked out the other missions on the Mission Trail in San Antonio. Escaped to the east, then ran up to New Braunfels for the night. Found a Days Inn for cheap since it's getting remodeled. Cruised New Braunfels a bit. It's a much bigger town than I thought it would be, not nearly as 'lazy' feeling as Fredericksburg. Found a car wash and rinsed off at least the top layer of road grime.

Walked up the street a bit for a small bite and a beer at the Ironhorse Grill and Saloon. I wasn't super hungry, but it was one of the "order as you walk in" kind of places and I panic ordered a bacon cheeseburger and tater tots. Great burger, and not bigger than my head, so that was good.

Just 138 miles for the day... but 2,000 for the trip now.

Thursday I'll head for the Gulf and plan to be in South Padre on Friday.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #68
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,159
Are you headed to South Padre for the beaches or to jump the border? Thats a long ways to go if its just for the beach which is just so so IMO. Just past Kingsville in Loyola Beach is Kings Inn. Good fish, but everything on the menu is deep fried, even the veggies. While your in Kingsville visit the King Ranch. One of the original ranches in Texas and at one time over 1,000,000 acres. We use to go to Matamoros to eat and drink in the old days. I hear that's not a good destination anymore?

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:00 AM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #69
buls4evr
No Marks....

Hey 971 it was 55 in Deming today..... Headed for 60 tomorrow. The BIG FRONT has passed. Good news for you. get ready to take the jacket liners out. Looks like you are having fun. See you in a while. No friendlies down there to stay with in San Anton? I would think you would get offers for lodging down there. Remember the locals know the good stuff! It never hurts to save a buck onlodging.Texas is legendary for hospitality and good chow. Try some chili con carne in El Paso.....feel the burn.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #70
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Are you headed to South Padre for the beaches or to jump the border? Thats a long ways to go if its just for the beach which is just so so IMO. Just past Kingsville in Loyola Beach is Kings Inn. Good fish, but everything on the menu is deep fried, even the veggies. While your in Kingsville visit the King Ranch. One of the original ranches in Texas and at one time over 1,000,000 acres. We use to go to Matamoros to eat and drink in the old days. I hear that's not a good destination anymore?
I have it in my head I want to go as far south in Texas as I can and I have a place to stay in South Padre through a friend from work. Need to check it out to see if it should be a destination for me and The Girlfriend someday. In Port Aransas tonight, really cool place, reminds me of a mini-Daytona. Will try to do a ride report tomorrow if I get a chance...

After Padre, I plan to head more-or-less to Big Bend. Everyone has said there's nothing to see and it's sketchy along the Rio Grande through Laredo etc. Is there a route from Padre up to the Big Bend area that's more entertaining than not???
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #71
buls4evr
No Marks....

Even the most empty desert has it's own form of beauty 971. Yes it is a long ways up the "Bend" but it can also be a time to reflect on the trip and just get in tune with yourself and the bike too. Like I said.....Texas is really big. Don't let the HOMELAND SECURITY LISTENERS scare you either. Enjoy those long stretches of solitude....
Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #72
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I have it in my head I want to go as far south in Texas as I can and I have a place to stay in South Padre through a friend from work. Need to check it out to see if it should be a destination for me and The Girlfriend someday. In Port Aransas tonight, really cool place, reminds me of a mini-Daytona. Will try to do a ride report tomorrow if I get a chance...

After Padre, I plan to head more-or-less to Big Bend. Everyone has said there's nothing to see and it's sketchy along the Rio Grande through Laredo etc. Is there a route from Padre up to the Big Bend area that's more entertaining than not???
Not a very entertaining route from Brownsville to Big Bend. If I were going I would head North enough to cut West and miss Laredo. Too hot and too many people/not enough roads!
I would go
N- 77
W-186
W -1017
N-16
W 59/44
N-83
W-277
W-90
S -385
Into Big Bend Park

Then up 118 to Study Butte
West on 170 to Terlingua
Then West to Presidio
Then 170 West to Ruidosa , camp and check out Chinati Hot Springs
If Gravel roads are no problem go North on Pinto Canyon Road to Marfa
Go to Ft Davis and check out the Observatory!

OK I'm done!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #73
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,159
When you get to Corpus take 286 south to 70 to Bishop. This is a little nicer than the interstate. Your in for one boring ride in S. Texas. It's will seem to take forever to get to BB.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #74
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
When you get to Corpus take 286 south to 70 to Bishop. This is a little nicer than the interstate. Your in for one boring ride in S. Texas. It's will seem to take forever to get to BB.
Awesome, thanks for all the pointers!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #75
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Not a very entertaining route from Brownsville to Big Bend. If I were going I would head North enough to cut West and miss Laredo. Too hot and too many people/not enough roads!
I would go
N- 77
W-186
W -1017
N-16
W 59/44
N-83
W-277
W-90
S -385
Into Big Bend Park

Then up 118 to Study Butte
West on 170 to Terlingua
Then West to Presidio
Then 170 West to Ruidosa , camp and check out Chinati Hot Springs
If Gravel roads are no problem go North on Pinto Canyon Road to Marfa
Go to Ft Davis and check out the Observatory!

OK I'm done!
Thanks bigdon! I think I'll do this route to get up there. I've never ran the Triumph dry, but should go about 200 miles if it's getting it's normal mpg... I usually start getting nervous around 180. Which towns around BB have gas? Any specific stretches I should worry about? I'm thinking I might try to get a place to stay in Marfa, then do a couple of day trips from there.