User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
jacoba331 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Question Adventure helmet(s)?

i currently have a HJC flip up and after 70k miles of wind and dirt its about that time... im looking at the dual sport helmets that have the bill on top. any suggestions on great helmets? I commute in cold most mornings (when the minivan gets redundant), mostly have tunes in and do a 10 day offroad ride every year. id like to spend less than 350 (any more and id rather get a schuberth).

are these things waterproof? too noisy for misic/communication systems? what are the advantages of these type of helmets besides the badass look and the sun visor?' even worth it overall?

u the man
jacoba331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
I have a "cheaper" dual sport helmet.
Meh.
I usually end up wearing a regular lid for commuting, and most riding.
When dual sporting, the visor flips up, and I can wear goggles, which is nice.
But I'd be better served with a proper dirt bike helmet for the dirt, and a full face for the commuting.
At high speeds the DS helmet gets tiring. Lots more wind buffeting and wind noise.
At least that's my take on it. I still wear it a lot, and its better for off roading even without the goggles than a normal helmet, partly since the chin is further out, it doesn't fog up as easy.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
I have a "cheaper" dual sport helmet.
Meh.
I usually end up wearing a regular lid for commuting, and most riding.
When dual sporting, the visor flips up, and I can wear goggles, which is nice.
But I'd be better served with a proper dirt bike helmet for the dirt, and a full face for the commuting.
At high speeds the DS helmet gets tiring. Lots more wind buffeting and wind noise.
At least that's my take on it. I still wear it a lot, and its better for off roading even without the goggles than a normal helmet, partly since the chin is further out, it doesn't fog up as easy.
Agree....especially the "peaks" wind buffeting....my experience with this has been above 50 mph....under 50 mph and your fine.
Agree on the flip up visor--face shield-- and the use of goggles(versatility).

GMAX has decent helmets(GM-11d----GM-11s)...Shoei,AFX, Arai($$$$$),FLY and several more I can't remember!.

Where in Cincy are you ....Approx.............I'm in Clermont.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I like my gmax, I used it on a 2 week ride that covered a bit over 5000 miles on an unfaired xr400. I ran in temps around 100 and a couple of days well over.

It flows a lot of air and I don't think the visor is bad for lifting or turbulance, certainly more than my Arai Profile but I had no complaints with it.

What i haven't done with it is run in all day rain which is where I really find myself liking or disliking gear.

The gmax windshield raises all the way up into the visor so it's out of your line of sight, not all do. I also thought the visor was a little lower on the horizon than some of the others I tried on "which I like" even at that I did a quick easy mod to get it lower yet. Heres a picture of the mod and another I think in Death Valley "not sure"

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
I keep considering a DS helmet myself. I am mostly a commuter who might go off road a couple times a year. What keeps me considering it is that I commute into the sun both morning and evening. A peak that actually blocks the sun seems like a no-brainer. It is worse during certain times of the year (fall and spring) and a I can't tell you how many times I've wanted a bit of extra shading.

I haven't done it because there are also a lot of downsides (buffeting, too much venting in the winter and no sunshade like my C3) but that one feature is pretty tempting for me.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
jacoba331 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Where in Cincy are you ....Approx.............I'm in Clermont.[/QUOTE]

im in mt lookout
jacoba331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
I have a Shoei Hornet DS and like it, but be advised that the bill on a DS helment is not as long as the ones on off road helmets, so you get some shade but don't expect it to be like a ball cap. When I get over 55mph I can definitely tell the bill is there, especially when I look to the side, but it isn't so bad as to make it unwearable. Plus, you can remove the bill if you want to.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 677
The Shoei Hornet DS and the Arai XD4 are probably the best DS helmets on the market, but there are other good options as well. Pick the one that fits your head and finances. I've got plenty of road miles with a DS helmet and I get a little head buffeting, but it's not bad.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
My XD4 has a bigger peak than the Shoei (was a deciding factor) and the helmet has no more buffeting than my RF1000 or my Shark Evoline 2. I can't believe i lived without a peak for so long. Commuting is so much better during dawn/dusk
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
My XD4 has a bigger peak than the Shoei (was a deciding factor) and the helmet has no more buffeting than my RF1000 or my Shark Evoline 2. I can't believe i lived without a peak for so long. Commuting is so much better during dawn/dusk
+1 on the Arai XD. Got an XD3 and love it!!!!
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 1,081
I also have a Hornet DS helmet.It is very well made and the fit is perfect.Some wind movement above 50 MPH,but not bad at all.
Buy the best you can afford,and alway's wear it.
Ride often & smile.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I have the Hornet and had I to do it all over again would not. Leaks and fogs like crazy in cold/wet (no matter how well I anti fog treat and adjust the face shield) and is tough on the neck at highway speeds. Might have one for dirt only (the face shield is great for those of us who wear glasses) but probably a regular Moto X would work best. Even then I would want to wear my regular full face to get to the dirt if the distance is anything at all.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
I have the Hornet and had I to do it all over again would not. Leaks and fogs like crazy in cold/wet (no matter how well I anti fog treat and adjust the face shield) and is tough on the neck at highway speeds. Might have one for dirt only (the face shield is great for those of us who wear glasses) but probably a regular Moto X would work best. Even then I would want to wear my regular full face to get to the dirt if the distance is anything at all.
+1
I got the shoei because it fit my head best, but unfortunately I'm a little disappointed. It's loud at highway speed, that goes hand in hand with the other negative effects of a peak, but the peak is also pretty short and doesn't block much sun. My largest complaint is that I can't fit a set of goggles in them. Only option is sunglasses with the shield down. Also, the grooves for glasses sit too high in the helmet so when I do wear shades they are pressed uncomfortably between my temples and the cheek pads.

Important takeaway: go try them on with the gear you plan to use, and be honest with yourself about what you can/cannot deal with. Good luck.

Past Rides: 1994 KTM 400 EXC WP/D LC4 - Plated; 2001 BMW F650GS Thumper; 1970 CB175; 2003 KLR250
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Ive been doing lots of home work and I think its down to the ICON Variant... But down here in TX we need the venting that this helmet does really well with.. Not sure you would like it in the cold and wet. But for fun you might want to look at them. They start about 350 I found...
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #15
Motorcyclist72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I have an Arai XD4. I wear it every day. With my Gopro on top. No issues to speak of.

2012 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Triple Black. 22,000
Motorcyclist72 is offline   Reply With Quote