Brake disc with alarm (XENA) Worth it

Your opinions please
varago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Lock

...you mean brake disc LOCK with alarm...I'm thinking.....my disk lock doesn't have an alarm but I still think a lock is worth it...however...locks and contracts are only for honest people anyways
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,109
I have one .... it's ... meh.

Worked pretty well when it was new. The tilt/shock sensor is really touchy, goes off at the slightest touch.... you'd better be quick with the key or you're going to get a face full of LOUD, and it hurts.

There's a little IR emitter/detector that reflects off a mirrored surface on the bottom of the lock. Over time the windows fog up, mirror get scratched, and the lock arms itself off the disc... like at home or in your pack/pocket. Combine that with the touchy-as-hell knock sensor... the last straw for me was when it went off sitting on a shelf in my house during the early morning hours.

I ended up pulling the battery and using it as a disc lock.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
xena

I like mine because I will never attempt to ride off with the lock still on the wheel. (to the detriment of wheel & caliper). The act of getting on the bike & starting it sets off the wail of the alarm long before you do any damage.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

Worked pretty well when it was new. The tilt/shock sensor is really touchy, goes off at the slightest touch.... you'd better be quick with the key or you're going to get a face full of LOUD, and it hurts.

There's a little IR emitter/detector that reflects off a mirrored surface on the bottom of the lock. Over time the windows fog up, mirror get scratched, and the lock arms itself off the disc... like at home or in your pack/pocket. Combine that with the touchy-as-hell knock sensor... the last straw for me was when it went off sitting on a shelf in my house during the early morning hours.

I had the same experience with mine and pulled the batteries.
2 weeks ago my bike was stolen about 15 feet from where I was sleeping in my RV.
Bike front end was picked up and it was dragged into the desert and loaded in a truck.
I should have had it chained to the RV but it 's too late now.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I like mine because I will never attempt to ride off with the lock still on the wheel. (to the detriment of wheel & caliper). The act of getting on the bike & starting it sets off the wail of the alarm long before you do any damage.
I pull the right mirror down over the throttle when I lock the disc lock. Having to move the mirror reminds me the disc lock is engaged.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

Same experience. I use mine while travelling for overnight parking. I could barely hear it over motel AC and I stressed to much about waking other guests when it self-actuated.

Pulled the battery and stress reduced.

My typical routine is park as close to room as possible with front wheel turned to lock position

Leave in gear and lock forks.

Loop 5/8 steel cable thru rear wheel and attach to disk lock adapter (both Xena and Abus have them)

Put disk lock on outer front disk as high as possible to take up cable slack.

Then I put my cheap cover over the whole bike.

Someone wants it after all that...well I tried.
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Lurgan_Stoop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Similar story on the false alarms and I too have pulled the battery.
I may invest in a new alarm module (8) at some point.

I've recently added the chain adaptor so whilst the alarm doesn't alarm the bike hopefully isn't going anywhere in a hurry.
Be careful in dealing with a man who cares nothing for comfort or promotion, but is simply determined to do what he believes to be right. He is a dangerous uncomfortable enemy, because his body, which you can always conquer, gives you little purchase upon his soul. Gilbert Murray
Lurgan_Stoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I bought it to be used on long trips and if I have to stay over night in some unknown place, but I haven't gone on any long trip that requires over night stay yet
I tried it several times at home and, as others have said, found the alarm is quite sensitive, passing cars or motorcycles with loud pipes might set off the alarm.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
The Alarm is crap and goes off randomly, the lock itself works....just make sure you remember to remove it before you take off...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I have one. They're ok, but sometimes can be set off too easily. Plus the one I have takes SIX of those little watch/button batteries. So when they die, its NOT cheap to replace them at $8+ EACH

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,409
I had one, not impressed with it. Use a Kryptonite lock instead.

My way of not forgetting the lock is on the disc is to have a small ziptie on my keyring, and to remove it, and place it in the ignition lock BEFORE I put the lock on.

Lock gets removed before I remove the ziptie from the ignition.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Eladbern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I like mine did have to replace the alarm at 2 years but they are available and affordable if I recall replacement module was 20dollars
Eladbern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Nice lock, but it was difficult to get the thing unlocked/disarmed before the alarm went off. I took the battery out of mine and I'm sure my neighbors are much happier for it.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I use a non-alarm version on my bike. Does anyone else lock the rear wheel instead? Seems that would be harder for a thief to remove and/or move the bike.

I read an interesting writeup of an alleged bike thief who preferred to hotwire and ride off on a bike rather than throw it in a truck or van. Simple things like a disc lock on the rear wheel and the steering lock being engaged took more time to disable and would make the bike less desirable.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote