ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #226
Ceri JC
UK GSer
 
Ceri JC's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: All over, usually Wales or England
Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Does a bike need to send out light in a 360 degree cone in front of it, or does it need to send out light a little on the ground, more in a straight line, and a bit to the sides, with more light on the right side than the left?

Some funky winged wedge looking thing would seem to be the best reflector setup for that design goal.
I get what you're saying, but bear in mind over a third of the people in the world drive on the left. Any touring bike that will be crossing multiple borders really needs a symmetric headlight IMO. One of the things I like about bikes over cars for tours is that there's no "wrong side of the road" penalty. Try driving a Right-side Drive car in a country where they drive on the right (or vice versa) and aside from really struggling to see properly at junctions, you'll have to attach ugly temporary stickers to screen off your lights to prevent blinding other driver and your headlights will tend to be less effect than a native model of the same car as a result.
__________________
I like my bike because I can overtake 4x4s down farm tracks with a week's worth of shopping on the back.
Ceri JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #227
Ceri JC
UK GSer
 
Ceri JC's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: All over, usually Wales or England
Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The W650 shot down that theory... But I do hope you are right.

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/hond...-a-Classic.htm
Only guy I knew well who rode one was the guy who taught the motocycle maintenance nightclass I went to. He was a proper hardened old biker; was riding 30-40k ever year, including through winter in the snow and ice, into his late 60s. He liked all bikes; Indians and 60s Brit twins especially, but he also had a first gen R1!

He had a shedload of bikes new and old, but his main ride was his a W650. Main reason was "it feels and looks like my old Triumphs, but it's reliable enough for my 300 mile a day commute." I am glad they made the bike as he liked it and it made him happy. What percentage of people in the bike buying public have any real need/desire for something like that though? I suppose my cousin commutes a fair bit on his early 70s Triumph Tiger, but that's not high miles at all and for him, it's the appeal of it being a genuine old bike that he likes.
__________________
I like my bike because I can overtake 4x4s down farm tracks with a week's worth of shopping on the back.
Ceri JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #228
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,445
Yes, but you'll get all the body and blood of Christ you can eat, and how do you put a number on that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDibsies View Post
Im going to be a pastor, if I ever make above 40k in my life, ill be surprised. but ill ride right there with ya until i can't
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #229
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE
 
DOGSROOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: DOGHOUSE
Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Yes, but you'll get all the body and blood of Christ you can eat, and how do you put a number on that?


Oh shit, that's priceless!
.
.
.
__________________
In what sense can economics still claim to be a science if its predictive capacity is so dismally low?
Timothy Garton Ash

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #230
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes
 
atomicalex's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Detroit & Düsseldorf
Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Any touring bike that will be crossing multiple borders really needs to be equipped with a modern headlamp with a switchable pattern shutter.
Fixed that for you. Right-left shutters are available on quite a few cars sold in Europe, for exactly that reason.
__________________
Katherine, in words - F650GSa - CBR250R (sold) - Super Sherpa - Nine Days in the Alps - More Alps: Finding GS Land
atomicalex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #231
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I get what you're saying, but bear in mind over a third of the people in the world drive on the left. Any touring bike that will be crossing multiple borders really needs a symmetric headlight IMO. One of the things I like about bikes over cars for tours is that there's no "wrong side of the road" penalty. Try driving a Right-side Drive car in a country where they drive on the right (or vice versa) and aside from really struggling to see properly at junctions, you'll have to attach ugly temporary stickers to screen off your lights to prevent blinding other driver and your headlights will tend to be less effect than a native model of the same car as a result.
A light array that puts out as much light to both sides will be blinding to oncoming drivers and unsafe, even if it is on a bike.


there are few enough countries that drive on the wrong side, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Fixed that for you. Right-left shutters are available on quite a few cars sold in Europe, for exactly that reason.

I like that solution, it beats just having a shitty light or a light that blinds people, that's for sure.
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #232
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE
 
DOGSROOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: DOGHOUSE
Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

there are few enough countries that drive on the wrong side, though.




I'd be careful w/ that assumption.

164 countries use RHT, and 76 LHT, which is 33.6%

In addition,by POP, it's is 33.9% that are LHT.

Not exactly insignificant, especially in terms of market share.

Here ya go:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_...t-hand_traffic
.
.
.
__________________
In what sense can economics still claim to be a science if its predictive capacity is so dismally low?
Timothy Garton Ash

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #233
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer
 
Vertical C's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,398
There is a big logic fail in that sales are down because of pussification of generation Y....

1. Bikes are reliable, you dont need to be able to rebuild them anymore.
2. Bikes don't have kickstarts anymore.
3. Gear is so good that you don't have to get wet or cold anymore.

So you don't really need to be a hard ass anymore (but don't let that out).
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #234
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 853
Dunno what you guys are arguing about headlights and side of the road to drive on. Back to the OP comment, I'm a gen Y (b 1990) never bought a new motorcycle but that's because their too darn expensive (relatively) considering I picked up all the bikes in my sig for maybe 2000. I think the cheapest honda is about 4k, rebel or some 250. I have friends who ride but wrenching is different. Two are mechanically inept beyond checking tire pressure. One is decent and is considering buying new. We all use it as our primary transportation. One was bike less for a while and though working full time didn't want to go for financing. I think it's more of a motivational thing, they wait for things to be convent rather then going out and doing even if their alone.
__________________
1969 CL350 permanent project
2000 Ninja 250
the klr/versys project: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810279
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #235
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
I'd be careful w/ that assumption.

164 countries use RHT, and 76 LHT, which is 33.6%

In addition,by POP, it's is 33.9% that are LHT.

Not exactly insignificant, especially in terms of market share.

Here ya go:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_...t-hand_traffic
.
.
.
Yup:



Looks like plenty of red land to me.

Seems like a minor enough concern in terms of land mass. As I said before, it is important enough to argue against simple round headlights. However, it is not something every rider needs to deal with. If you're plotting a red/blue trip, you know who you are and what you're getting in to (or should).


Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
Dunno what you guys are arguing about headlights and side of the road to drive on. Back to the OP comment, I'm a gen Y (b 1990) never bought a new motorcycle but that's because their too darn expensive (relatively) considering I picked up all the bikes in my sig for maybe 2000. I think the cheapest honda is about 4k, rebel or some 250. I have friends who ride but wrenching is different. Two are mechanically inept beyond checking tire pressure. One is decent and is considering buying new. We all use it as our primary transportation. One was bike less for a while and though working full time didn't want to go for financing. I think it's more of a motivational thing, they wait for things to be convent rather then going out and doing even if their alone.
Just because motorbikes used to be so unreliable they turned riders into mechanics doesn't mean those that have no interest in wrenching when they don't have to are somehow lesser people. There is only so much time in the day, and like many, I only wrench myself when I have financial constraints, otherwise it is well worth it to have it done for me while I read. Modern bikes can be as reliable as modern cars, and that's great.
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #236
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR
 
Hawk62cj5's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Va
Oddometer: 584
Dang crazy British Colonies .
__________________
09 Super Sherpa KL250
62 CJ-5
Trailering a bike is like hiring a prostitute just to jerk off in front of her .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #237
ColonelDibsies
Adventurer
 
ColonelDibsies's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Ankeny, IA
Oddometer: 39
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,7904379.story

Good news, not doomed! Yay!
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #238
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,654
Well that's a relief : D

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #239
Kevin Moore
Adventurer
 
Kevin Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Berkeley, Ca
Oddometer: 65
Shocking results...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...riders-beware/

And yes, I used "shocking" very sarcastically. I'm amazed they print this dribble.
Kevin Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #240
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,968
disagree.

fun never goes outta fashion & gas prices will only rise.
mfg are changing to adopt to aging riders (Honda dual-clutch auto) and newer rider (more powerful scooters with smaller engines that still get high mpg). maybe the current type of bike will morph, but people still need to get places and transportation is not going away. younger ones who just buy scooters will not forget the fun of it, they'll buy bigger ones to travel farther as they get older and still get great mpg.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014