ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !
 
HeyWhatever's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Here, Now
Oddometer: 229
US Passport Card vs Passport Book

Has anyone gotten the US Passport RFID card?

I am thinking of getting one to do land crossing into Canada and back to the US?

I know you can't use it to fly anywhere... but sounds convenient to keep it in your wallet.
__________________
Piglet: Because Hogs Are For Old Farts!
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gplutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 111
I have one. Its easier than remembering to put the passport in the car to go to Canada. If you cross the border often I'd say its a good idea. Its a pretty easy procedure to get one, too.

Actually, We've never had a problem getting into Canada, getting back into the US was an issue once, though. Right before the passport thing went into effect we tried to come back home, the guy at the border asked for our passports and we said 'we don't have them on us", he said "how do I know you aren't some Europeans trying to sneak across the border"! . We had to prove our American citizenship by telling him who our state representatives were.
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer
 
GSAragazzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: The Purgatory of Suburbia
Oddometer: 1,194
I don't have one and probable would not want one bc it's been tested that "thieves" can read the info in it from up to 220 ft away.
Have you looked into the Global Entry program? Specifically for you the Nexus card?
http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/travel/nexus-pass

With the GEP you skip the lines at the crossing or at airports. It's good deal.

Cheers
__________________
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gplutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
I don't have one and probable would not want one bc it's been tested that "thieves" can read the info in it from up to 220 ft away.
Have you looked into the Global Entry program? Specifically for you the Nexus card?
http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/travel/nexus-pass

With the GEP you skip the lines at the crossing or at airports. It's good deal.

Cheers
Even in the sleeve they give you with it? Maybe its time to line my wallet with a lead shield!
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
FlowBee
Just me.
 
FlowBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Stasis.
Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplutt View Post
Even in the sleeve they give you with it? Maybe its time to line my wallet with a lead shield!
One thing about that sleeve - it's aluminum foil lined on the inside. I've had mine for several years now. The aluminum rubs off onto the card, oxidizes black, and leaves black smudges all over the card. They do not come out easily. If I were you I'd ditch the sleeve immediately and find another solution.

I finally pitched my sleeve and just use an envelope with aluminum foil taped to the outside.
__________________
"And then this one time at banned camp ....."
FlowBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gplutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
One thing about that sleeve - it's aluminum foil lined on the inside. I've had mine for several years now. The aluminum rubs off onto the card, oxidizes black, and leaves black smudges all over the card. They do not come out easily. If I were you I'd ditch the sleeve immediately and find another solution.

I finally pitched my sleeve and just use an envelope with aluminum foil taped to the outside.
I think the next time I make a wallet I'll just line it with foil. I've been thinking about it anyways. My ID is starting to get the smudges all over it, too.
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer
 
GSAragazzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: The Purgatory of Suburbia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplutt View Post
Even in the sleeve they give you with it? Maybe its time to line my wallet with a lead shield!
Well, here's the good news:"There is no personal information written to the RFID chip. This chip points to a stored record in secure government databases."

The bad is that "people" who really really really REALLY want one do steal the number and will find a way to find some of your "other" info. For example your licensce plate. With it they will find some more info on you thru public records (owner, residence etc) , they will dig (with aids like Ancestry.com like mothers maiden name, past residence etc) to the point where they can craft a card/id. They can craft an id with YOUR info. now.
I think the Nexus is the way to go. No more lines and no need for foil.
Btw, never cross a border With foil in you pocket. It just not a good idea.
__________________
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !
 
HeyWhatever's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Here, Now
Oddometer: 229
So, what you are suggesting is that the RFID is a security risk?

I don't know what a NEXUS is... I guess I will have to google it...

I was going to just get the passport book because I don't want to do this again next year when I meet some young European stud who wants to make me his princess bride and move to Germany...

__________________
Piglet: Because Hogs Are For Old Farts!
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,783
If you ever might travel outside the US to anywhere, just get a regular passport.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !
 
HeyWhatever's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Here, Now
Oddometer: 229
Poop... I started the process of doing the Trusted Traveler on the CBP website and it says you have to have an interview at an American border... that does not sound feasible... poop!

I will just mail in the regular one... I have enough time and then I don't have to deal with it for another ten years.

Still waiting on my European prince...
__________________
Piglet: Because Hogs Are For Old Farts!
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer
 
GSAragazzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: The Purgatory of Suburbia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
So, what you are suggesting is that the RFID is a security risk?

I don't know what a NEXUS is... I guess I will have to google it...

I was going to just get the passport book because I don't want to do this again next year when I meet some young European stud who wants to make me his princess bride and move to Germany...

Nexus is for people who travel to Canada, Sentri is for Mexico.
Global Pass is for international travel (includes Canada and Mexico too).
Here's a link:
http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...bal-entry-pass

Btw one of the BEST rides IMHO is by the Rhine river. Gorgeous mountains, sweeping turns, great villages. Just amazing. Great place to meet your Bavarian prince!
__________________
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,574
After many years of having a passport book, I went over to the card, as it is more durable, and cheaper by a lot. It is not a chipped chard, only mag-striped. The douanes on the US side are becoming more and more suspicious of a tattered passport, and it's difficult to keep a book in good shape on a bike.

The card is limited in use, but serves well. You can get both with the same form. It's a good idea to make a photocopy of whatever you have and paste it in a secure place. Under the seat works well.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
HeyWhatever OP
HTFU !
 
HeyWhatever's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Here, Now
Oddometer: 229
There is a direct link on the (dot)gov site for GEOS- which is the government site for applying for NEXUS, etc.

The one you are providing, GSA, is a (dot)com site, which for me would indicate added cost and added risk in security. Sending my social security number through a (dot)com seems like a very bad idea to me.

The new passport book has a RFID? chip in the back cover apparently... This may be a new development.

Just read the entire form I am filling out... and it says the passport book chip will be invalid if wet or melted.

I keep my passport in a zip lock, and then it stays dry and clean.

Last time I came into the US in Sault St. Marie, the US agent was a dick... until I told him I was an Army contractor. I expect to get more crap now because I am unemployed...
__________________
Piglet: Because Hogs Are For Old Farts!
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
KFhunter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: N/E WA
Oddometer: 33
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/



If you are in a state or provence that has enhanced drivers licenses I'd reccomend going that route, it's always with you and it's good at any land border/ferry crossing. If your current DL is valid for a long time still then get a passport card if you wish.

If you plan to fly across borders get a regular passport book.

If you are going to large ports with typically long wait times get the nexus/sentri/global card.
KFhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
KFhunter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: N/E WA
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Well, here's the good news:"There is no personal information written to the RFID chip. This chip points to a stored record in secure government databases."

The bad is that "people" who really really really REALLY want one do steal the number and will find a way to find some of your "other" info. For example your licensce plate. With it they will find some more info on you thru public records (owner, residence etc) , they will dig (with aids like Ancestry.com like mothers maiden name, past residence etc) to the point where they can craft a card/id. They can craft an id with YOUR info. now.
I think the Nexus is the way to go. No more lines and no need for foil.
Btw, never cross a border With foil in you pocket. It just not a good idea.
BS

Your RFID card is safe, the unique identifier isn't going to help anyone get a credit card issued to them in your name.
And reading it form "20 feet away" is hogwash too. Also someone scanning your card isn't likely going to hack into the .gov mainframe, why bother with a RFID number at all if they had that capability?

Do you have a debit card with fast pay on it? It has an RFID chip, see how close you have to hold it to the keypad in the gas station to get it to read the number.
KFhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014