Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I bought some of these last year and they are the only socks I have tried that will stay up on my leg all day.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/perf...ght-socks.html

They have different weights for warm or cold weather and have been good to me so far.
1981 BMW R100RS
2006 KLR 650
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Knee-length Sealskinz. Unless it's going to be very hot, in which case I go for very light weave compression socks (forget the brand).
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Have a look at the Falke TK2 or SK depending on how long you want them to be. Falke has excellent products in their sports section that can be combined very good with motorcycle boots.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I use and really like the Smartwool PhD Light Ski Socks (http://www.backcountry.com/smartwool-phd-ski-light-sock). You can find them within a couple of dollars of your price point if you look around. Backcountry has a sale going on right now.
any smart wool,, visit rei and rei outlet I picked up some great snowboard socks on sale that are close to what you describe. also Smartwool PhD Light Ski Socks , on sale here for $9.93 ,, IF you have big feet, size 12 plus

http://www.rei.com/product/840868/sm...-2011-closeout
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,564
Boot size?

The blistering on the heal may be more to do with the boot size? The sock can only make up for so much in sizing....

Some people with a wide foot go for a bigger size (eg me) - but that gets length as well as breath meaning the heal moves around ... try a shoe liner eg oder eaters - but only use the heal part. Makes for a tighter fit on the heal.
Warin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
>"OK gents! I need your suggestions on some decent boot socks that have good cushioning in the heels to prevent blisters and that provide some moisture wicking capabilities."

IMHO: Wear two pair of socks. Learned that long ago when backpacking.
Inside wicking (comfort), Outside pair cushioning.

Cheap and it works for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I wear Wigwam Outlast socks. Many styles and they have black, and within OP's price range.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Smartwool ski socks. They stay over the calf, warm in the winter, wick in the summer, great padding, long lasting, no reason to ever wear anything else. I usually get mine at Sierra Trading Post or other places on sale for around $11/pair.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
sonoran
subsonic

Oddometer: 21,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Smartwool ski socks. They stay over the calf, warm in the winter, wick in the summer, great padding, long lasting, no reason to ever wear anything else. I usually get mine at Sierra Trading Post or other places on sale for around $11/pair.
^^^ what he said

the sun does not have no prisoners
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #25
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 413
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will post a few replies as needed.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #26
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Have you tried the BMW Technical socks? I can't say enough about them. They stay up all day long (really). They have fairly narrow sizing which means you get one that actually fits your foot. They have good cushioning. They have added thickness where you want it but are thin where you need it. All around great socks and cost is $20 per pair.
Got a link to these socks? Would the BMW shop have these in stock?

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #27
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Champion brand baseball socks (SportMart or similar) . . . . . they stay up, wick well (for me) and not too spendy.
I have tried the baseball type socks. In fact that was what I was wearing when I got my last blister. These are not my cup of tea.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #28
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
Road gear coconut socks. Kinda expensive well worth it
These do look promising

Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #29
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Thor-Lo makes a sock with a cushion sole and heel that they call a "basketball" sock. It's tall enough to be a boot sock. I've worn these for many years, and am completely satisfied with them. I've never worn a hole in one. Thor-Lo B-13: http://www.sportsdepot.com/thorlobasketball.html
I have used Thor-Lo socks in the past with great results. I may have to try these again as the technology should be better now with the newer wicking materials on the market.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #30
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
The blistering on the heal may be more to do with the boot size? The sock can only make up for so much in sizing....
Its not the boot sizing. Sorry! The issue is that the socks I have been wearing...well some of them...suck at wicking the foot sweat away. The more I walk, the more moisture. The cushioning on the sock is not so great. Add these two elements together and this is a prime case for a blister to get born. As we all know one a blister starts it is very hard to keep it from growing, especially when I am not is a position to swap to a different pair of socks or stop to put on a baid-aid or tape.