User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #196
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 481
Im still wanting for somebody to make a video of the updated great basin. What I still can wrap my head around is.the new one has plastic buckles instead of metal camlocks no internal bags or bottle holders and a less waterproof zipper. but its only about 30 dolllars cheaper than old bag.yet to comparatively have stuff sacks is more than double the difference. -30 dollars to well over + 60 dollars.. and why no red color choice. Orange would seem reserved for only ktm owners.but I guess they would be more likly to buy gl than say red for ducati. But I seen plenty of red bmws klrs vstroms triumph tigers etc. White would seem the oddest popular choice for bikes( semi adventure anyway). But to the main point.you should make a video showing new mounting bevertail security pass thru storm flap. Etc
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #197
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Thanks!

I wanted to tell Giant Loop thanks for sponsoring this years Westfest Rally in Buena Vista, Colorado in August.

Giant Loop was kind enough to send one of their Fandango Tank Bags and a few T-Shirts. I just got the bag in and it looked great. To be honest I even set it on the 950 for size, and it would work really well for that bike (dont worry it will still be new for who ever wins it at the rally)

Thanks again for the support.

ben
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #198
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Buckin' Roll Tank Bag in Dirt Bike magazine's "Adventure-The Goods"

Thanks Dirt Bike magazine for including Giant Loop's Buckin' Roll Tank Bag in the July issue's "Adventure - The Goods" round up!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #199
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
Im still wanting for somebody to make a video of the updated great basin. What I still can wrap my head around is.the new one has plastic buckles instead of metal camlocks no internal bags or bottle holders and a less waterproof zipper. but its only about 30 dolllars cheaper than old bag.yet to comparatively have stuff sacks is more than double the difference. -30 dollars to well over + 60 dollars.. and why no red color choice. Orange would seem reserved for only ktm owners.but I guess they would be more likly to buy gl than say red for ducati. But I seen plenty of red bmws klrs vstroms triumph tigers etc. White would seem the oddest popular choice for bikes( semi adventure anyway). But to the main point.you should make a video showing new mounting bevertail security pass thru storm flap. Etc
Ok satur9, let me crack open a beer and dive into your query about the new, improved and less expensive Great Basin Saddlebag!

Take a hammer and whack a metal cam lock buckle as hard as you can. Observe bent and broken twisted bit of metal that used to be cam buckle.

Now, take same hammer and whack one our new military spec side release buckles and repeat the mighty hammer strike. Observe how hammer bounces off, hardly leaving a visible mark on buckle. Pull strength rating exceeds the weight of the entire bike.

Plus, you can now access your gear far more quickly and easily - even with your gloves on! We've separated the compression straps from the mounting straps on the new Great Basin, so you no longer have to re-tension the entire bag to get in/out.

We went with the big, beefy coil YKK zipper because it's far easier to slide, making it less work to pack and access gear.

Since we've also significantly reduced the number of needle holes stitched through the Great Basin Saddlebag's outer Bombshell - and improved the storm flap design - the bag is now more water resistant than the previous version. And did I mention the Limited Lifetime Warranty?

Customizable and modular design trumped the benefits of the built-in features - and we responded to our repeated customer requests that we not include them. Now, they are optional, in both waterproof and standard versions - or use your own bags. And buy a case of good beer with the money you saved over the price of the old model. Cheers!

If we could source a rich, beautiful Honda or Ducati red, we would gladly offer our bags in red. Heck, I rode nothing but Honda Red for more than 30 years before I ever threw a leg over a Euro bike. But in our super-tough Bombshell fabric, the only red available is looks like water from a rusty pipe. Not pretty at all. So . . . no red. Sorry. We're still looking . . .

White has progressively caught on - it looks great on almost any bike, and it stays cooler in the sun, so photographers and desert travelers like it. And just like white riding clothes and bikes that get ridden off road - it doesn't stay pristine, but takes on the patina of use like an old baseball.

And I couldn't agree with more: We need to do videos for each of our products. It's on our list. All it takes is time and money! Stay tuned - we're about to re-launch our website and make a bunch of other improvements. We don't sit still very long . . .

Thanks for the questions!

OlafofOregon screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 07:12 PM Reason: added lifetime warranty mention
Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #200
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheers to WestFest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I wanted to tell Giant Loop thanks for sponsoring this years Westfest Rally in Buena Vista, Colorado in August.

Giant Loop was kind enough to send one of their Fandango Tank Bags and a few T-Shirts. I just got the bag in and it looked great. To be honest I even set it on the 950 for size, and it would work really well for that bike (dont worry it will still be new for who ever wins it at the rally)

Thanks again for the support.

ben
Wish I could join you! Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing the TALL tales.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #201
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,120
A pic of the Siskiyou panniers on inmate Roninmoto's 690E.
Check out his RTW with Noah thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
He asked for them to be sent to Georgia, the country, so he could upgrade from his failed non-Giant Loop bags with some tougher kit. Go Noah! Snag some of those mountain trout!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #202
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kiwis Riding Trans Canada Trail on Yamaha WR250s

Keith Larkin from White's Powersports, Giant Loop's distributor in New Zealand, is riding the Trans Canada Trail with another Kiwi, both on Yamaha WR250s equipped with Great Basin Saddlebags, Great Basin Dry Pods, Great Basin Dry Bags and Zigzag Handlebar Bags.

Here's an update from the trail:

Hi guys, everything going well here.

Finished the 600 km T Rail yesterday - what a ride! More like a trail ride in parts as against adv ride, but a hoot on 250's!

The pic is an old rail car by the trail.

Harold I have done a bit if this long distance adv riding, and luggage has always been a ball ache. Giant Loop is fantastic for this stuff, tough, amazingly easy to use , and great balance on bike. A no brainier.

Today is a road blast up to the ferry for Labrador and some serious wilderness.

Thanks again for your help guys.
Keith
Old 06-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #203
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Testing the New Fort Rock Giant Loop Bag

The Fort Rock Top Case
Motorcycle Travel Bag

A Review by Gale Tuggle - June 2013

Fort Rock Top Case

The Fort Rock top case is a new motorcycle travel bag being offered by Giant Loop of Bend, Oregon and I had the opportunity to test one out on several off road type motorcycle trips.

I, along with wife, have over 40K miles using a "u" shape type bag similar to the Fort Rock. This bag that we have been using sits on the rear of our RT, has served us very well carrying most or all of our camping gear, 2 down bags, 3 person tent/foot print, 2 sleeping pads, first aid kit, some spare bike parts and our running shoes ! It also gives wife arm rest and a back support that she loves.

The Fort Rock will do the same except we are going to double up on a 1999 KTM 640 Adventure R . The Fort Rock is designed, produced and tested by off road riders that have come to choose almost everything Giant Loop produces.

This bag is very well made, super thick water proof outer material, expert stitched to eliminate almost all possible avenues for water to get inside. May not be totally water-proof but almost! Giant Loop’s Dry Pods/Dry Bags can be used to ensure total water-proof environment.

This Fort Rock bag is going to be perfect for my wife and I on our first trip off road trip to test this bag. It will carry almost all of the above camping gear and still be secure enough and light enough to handle the rough roads we expect to travel. Also a good back rest/arm supports for my passenger

Some things on this Fort Rock bag that has been a plus to me is the handles that allows one to lift the bag to the back of the bike, off the bike and also to carry the bag to say your tent site. Very handy!!

The very large nylon type zippers are easy to open/close, they seem very strong to stand up to over stuffing the bag and expecting said zippers to remain closed, BIG PLUS! My wife loves the "jockey box" at the front left side of bag to make everything easy to access.

I love the way this bag holds it shape on the bike. We are not using the aluminum panniers that would give this bag a good solid platform to sit while we are underway. I will use my soft panniers, my testing has led me to believe the Fort Rock Bag will not suffer or collapse, on this set up. We will report back on this with pics after this trip. I know for sure Fort Rock on top of the aluminum panniers will be perfect.

I know for sure the new Siskiyou Panniers will be a perfect platform for this Fort Rock and also give off road riders a soft bag for safety reason. For two up off road riding I will predict the combo of the Siskiyou Panniers and this Fort Rock bag will be the choice of many bikers ALSO, a rider going solo can have all his needs, carrying wife/girlfriend/kids, what ever the protected space /volume necessary for the longer trips.

I will follow this introduction up with pics of the bike as it is normally used and then pic by pic of how the Fort Rock will be attached to the 640. Also a couple pics of what will be carried in the Fort Rock. Finally some pics of wife in position and pics of our first destination to American Basin on the Alpine Loop road for Nature’s awesome flower show.

This is the 640 as it is kept on a daily basis for normal riding around Pagosa Springs

The red enduro fanny pack will be lashed to the top of the handle bar or placed low in

the bottom of one of the side panniers, same with the small yellow tool pouch.

The Fort Rock bag and its contents for this trip. One down bag, 3 person tent plus footprint , 2 sleeping pads. The extra sleeping bag will be strapped on top of the Fort Rock .

Fort Rock packed and sitting on 640 with no tie down straps yet

Side View

The load strapped down ready for the ride. Very solid and does not move!

Rear View Strapped Down

Ready to Roll – Strapped Down Side View

The Fort Rock back has ample nylon loops stitched to the bottom to allow this bag to be attached to any/all bike rack situations for a solid mount. Double-sided Velcro straps are included with the bag.

Shakedown Ride

We took a short trip to test the Bag. We loaded the KTM, ready to travel, and had a volunteer to take a few pictures of our 50 mile shakedown ride.

Fort Rock and its load weighted 25 lbs total with the items shown, plus our first aid kit, fleece vests and running shoes in the jockey box. The panniers with some clothes, in DRY PODS, and tools were 11 lbs each. So we, the riders in our riding gear weighted 285 lbs. Fort Rock and contents 25 lbs. Both panniers 22 lbs. Total weight on the KTM 332.

The local fires had changed our plans so we shall post these pictures and report from our shakedown ride and once we can ride into American Basin we will then post that ride.

I chose the blue D Ring Straps for several reasons. First I knew I had to attach the extra sleeping bag to the top, second I knew my soft bags would not secure the Ft Rock the way I needed. Nothing is faster to lash down and remove as D Ring Straps. Thumb pressure on the D Ring and they go from Super tight to off.

For our real trip the straps will be my black D Rings, and Black snap buckles for the side. Easy/on and off, super secure.

I also know that with my aluminum panniers or the Giant Loop Bags, the system built into the Ft Rock Bag, will do as planned.

Our thanks go out to Giant Loop to test this bag and also to share this finding with all.

We left the blue straps on the test ride so our tie down methods were visible. On trips I will use my black D Ring Straps. We know this Fort Rock Bag is NOT going to move regardless of the type of trail we are traveling.

We are fooling around standing on the pegs to see how well Sandy can get up and down for when we get into a challenging trail she will stand to lower our mass or weight to the pegs making things a lot easier for the idiot pilot. :)

The Fort Rock is perfect for the pillion, super protective luggage carrier, back rest, and arm rest!!

A Big Thank You to Giant Loop!

Gale Tuggle
June, 2013

Gale B.T. screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 11:27 AM
Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #204
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Gale,
That is an excellent post on the Fort Rock top case mounted to a 640 Adv with soft panniers. I am interested in hearing if your wife feels additional support from the Fort Rock or any extra comfort it offers her, during your ride. I think your packing of the Fort Rock is optimal for the load it was intended to carry. How about pics of you both on the bike!

Looking forward to the next update to your ride.

edit to add: I'll link your pictures to our blog, as well
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #205
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Gale,
That is an excellent post on the Fort Rock top case mounted to a 640 Adv with soft panniers. I am interested in hearing if your wife feels additional support from the Fort Rock or any extra comfort it offers her, during your ride. I think your packing of the Fort Rock is optimal for the load it was intended to carry. How about pics of you both on the bike!

Looking forward to the next update to your ride.

edit to add: I'll link your pictures to our blog, as well
Thanks ! Wifee did sit on the bike with the Fort Rock in place to test out the space and support. Remember she has logged over 40k miles on similar shaped bag with nothing but good feeling and her first comment on Fort Rock's support was "awesome". With that we are good to go and for sure will have pics of the two of us on the loaded bike!!

These fires have us surrounded /blocked on our intended route to American Basin . As fast as they,fires, are burning up these mountains there will be nothing left but cinders by the weekend.

More pics to follow ASAP
Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #206
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

NEW! Pronghorn Straps™ by Giant Loop

Every motorcyclist needs a handful of these multi-purpose stretch polyurethane straps with unbreakable fasteners. You'll find a million uses for these quick, solid, tough straps. We've been using them for years to secure everything from luggage to water and fuel bottles to our Bushwackers Hand Guards.

Sold in packages of 2, and 26", 20" and 16" lengths, featuring Giant Loop's iconic cow skull graphic and our design mantra: "Go Light. Go Fast. Go Far."

Check out our hammer test video of the unbreakable fastener!

Named for the Pronghorn* - indigenous to the American West, fast, tough and able to withstand the harsh environments of the Great Basin.

PRONGHORN STRAPS - SPECS & FEATURES
• super tough stretch polyurethane
• unbreakable unfastener
• adjustable to 4"minimum
• width 3/4"
• Made in Canada (yep! it's our first product NOT made in USA)

* Often called an antelope, which is an African animal and not related to the American Pronghorn.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #207
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,851
Nice review Gale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
The Fort Rock Top Case
Motorcycle Travel Bag

A Review by Gale Tuggle - June 2013

Fort Rock Top Case

The Fort Rock top case is a new motorcycle travel bag being offered by Giant Loop of Bend, Oregon and I had the opportunity to test one out on several off road type motorcycle trips.

I, along with wife, have over 40K miles using a "u" shape type bag similar to the Fort Rock. This bag that we have been using sits on the rear of our RT, has served us very well carrying most or all of our camping gear, 2 down bags, 3 person tent/foot print, 2 sleeping pads, first aid kit, some spare bike parts and our running shoes ! It also gives wife arm rest and a back support that she loves.

The Fort Rock will do the same except we are going to double up on a 1999 KTM 640 Adventure R . The Fort Rock is designed, produced and tested by off road riders that have come to choose almost everything Giant Loop produces.

This bag is very well made, super thick water proof outer material, expert stitched to eliminate almost all possible avenues for water to get inside. May not be totally water-proof but almost! Giant Loop’s Dry Pods/Dry Bags can be used to ensure total water-proof environment.

This Fort Rock bag is going to be perfect for my wife and I on our first trip off road trip to test this bag. It will carry almost all of the above camping gear and still be secure enough and light enough to handle the rough roads we expect to travel. Also a good back rest/arm supports for my passenger

Some things on this Fort Rock bag that has been a plus to me is the handles that allows one to lift the bag to the back of the bike, off the bike and also to carry the bag to say your tent site. Very handy!!

The very large nylon type zippers are easy to open/close, they seem very strong to stand up to over stuffing the bag and expecting said zippers to remain closed, BIG PLUS! My wife loves the "jockey box" at the front left side of bag to make everything easy to access.

I love the way this bag holds it shape on the bike. We are not using the aluminum panniers that would give this bag a good solid platform to sit while we are underway. I will use these soft panniers, my test has led me to believe this soft bags ( you will see just how soft) will not suffer and collapse. We will report back on this with pics after this trip. I know for sure Fort Rock on top of the aluminum panniers will be perfect.

I know for sure the new Siskiyou Panniers will be a perfect platform for this Fort Rock and also give off road riders a soft bag for safety reason. For two up off road riding I will predict the combo of the Siskiyou Panniers and this Fort Rock bag will be the choice of many bikers ALSO, a rider going solo can have all his needs, carrying wife/girlfriend/kids, what ever the protected space /volume necessary for the longer trips.

I will follow this introduction up with pics of the bike as it is normally used and then pic by pic of how the Fort Rock will be attached to the 640. Also a couple pics of what will be carried in the Fort Rock. Finally some pics of wife in position and pics of our first destination to American Basin on the Alpine Loop road for Nature’s awesome flower show.

This is the 640 as it is kept on a daily basis for normal riding around Pagosa Springs

The red enduro fanny pack will be lashed to the top of the handle bar or placed low in

the bottom of one of the side panniers, same with the small yellow tool pouch.

The Fort Rock bag and its contents for this trip. One down bag, 3 person tent plus footprint , 2 sleeping pads. The extra sleeping bag will be strapped on top of the Fort Rock .

Fort Rock packed and sitting on 640 with no tie down straps yet

Side View

The load strapped down ready for the ride. Very solid and does not move!

Rear View Strapped Down

Ready to Roll – Strapped Down Side View

The Fort Rock back has ample nylon loops stitched to the bottom to allow this bag to be attached to any/all bike rack situations for a solid mount. Double-sided Velcro straps are included with the bag.

Pictures of Trip to follow

Gale Tuggle
June, 2013
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #208
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks to you Bill for your vote, not too many times in our riding days can we post a report on equipment and have it critiqued by so many experienced off road rides as we do here on AVD.

I did the final two pics and report at the very end of the original effort, not sure if this is best so hopefully those more knowledgeable can move it if necessary

Thanks again
gale
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #209
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
Thanks to you Bill for your vote, not too many times in our riding days can we post a report on equipment and have it critiqued by so many experienced off road rides as we do here on AVD.

I did the final two pics and report at the very end of the original effort, not sure if this is best so hopefully those more knowledgeable can move it if necessary

Thanks again
gale
Thanks for the great pics and feedback Gale!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #210
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

OlafofOregon is on his way to this weekend's Touratech Rally in Washington, today. He is taking the F800GS and riding the WBDR with GL rider Tawz. They should have some perfect, dust free riding conditions for the event, with all the rain over the last several days. So, if you are free this weekend and in the area, head to to the Touratech rally, check out their setup and join one of the routed rides.
Closed Thread