User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #16
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Those soft panniers look great, would love to see a pic of the exhaust side of the SuperTenere.. I'd consider those for mine. Nice work
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #17
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Those soft panniers look great, would love to see a pic of the exhaust side of the SuperTenere.. I'd consider those for mine. Nice work
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,074
I sure wanted front page on this thread, with my post, but I got thwarted by time and technology twice, so second page and above the fold, it is...

Announcing!! I am a new member of the Giant Loop Sales Team!
I am handling new dealer development and outside sales as an independent rep for Giant Loop. After years of enjoying the product and knowing the boys at GL, its time for me to do what I do best, for them and the business.

Being local to the company, I have watched GL and the luggage evolve over time, since the first prototypes. Over the last year it has become clear that Giant Loop is progressing with clear intention, into the next phase of business maturity and growth. It is very important to me that GL has the best chance of success in the market place and I know I can contribute greatly to that success!

So expect to see me posting up when I can provide relevant info to moto luggage discussions, here at ADVrider.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Quick camparo:

Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags
$219.99

$215-$304 for rack, depending on bike make/model

EX-T Stuff Sacks (set of 4)
$36.99

TOTAL PRICE: $471.98-$560.98

Volume: 38 liters (19 liters each side)
Warranty: 1 Year on RF Welded Bags

Giant Loop Siskiyou Panniers
Volume: 70 liters (35 liters each side) ALMOST DOUBLE THE VOLUME
Included components: 2 waterproof inner bags, 2 laser-cut aluminum exhaust heat shields
Warranty: Lifetime of product for original purchaser against defects in materials and construction.
TOTAL PRICE: $649
Plus: No rack required. Strap it on and ride! Load is positioned closer to the center of the bike, maximizing performance and handling when carrying gear. Fewer parts to break. Multiple attachment points to secure additional bags. Easier access. Mesh internal pockets, exterior pockets large enough to carry 2 liters of fuel in each side. Ballistic nylon reinforcements in impact zones . . . .
Good info, thanks.... but ....

I'd retort that the Wolfman don't need the inner bags to keep items dry so I'd deduct that from the equation

Concerning the rack, what makes yours different that a rack isn't needed, what keeps the bags from rolling under towards the wheel with the weight of the contents??

BTW, not knocking you guys ... I've got a Fandango on my Dakar and I'm planning on getting the Buck and Roll to add to it when I move it over onto the big GS for longer rides.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks GB! The Super Tenere comes stock with a substantial exhaust heat shield, which appears to provide adequate coverage for the Siskiyou Panniers, although we have not yet had the opportunity to test with that particular machine.

However, the Panniers include two of our new Hot Springs Heat Shields (laser-cut, heavy guage aluminum) , which would no doubt provide even more protection.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Hi Olaf,

Some quick questions. The Syskiyou looks nice but very expensive. I am still looking at the GB as an alternative.

- Where exactly does the GreatBasin gains volume compared to the previous version?
- Can you provide the dimensions of the new 2013 version compared to the dimensions of the previous version?
Dimensions (fully packed):
55" - bottom of pannier, across top to bottom of other pannier bucket
9" - height of bag in top center
7" - distance from inside to outside of pannier bucket bottom
12" - front to back in top center
- Can you provide the dimension of both the new and old style heat shields?
- Are mounting clamps included with the heat shields product? Old and new style?
- Do you have more picture of the new Great basin mounted on various bikes (especially the exhaust area)?
- Do you have more picture of the new Syskiyou mounted on various bikes (especially the exhaust area)?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions. I think lots of people have interest in both the Syskiyou or the new Great Basin but are still in conflict about which of them to chose.

One last, but important question: when will these products be available at the local dealers in Europe?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Good info, thanks.... but ....

I'd retort that the Wolfman don't need the inner bags to keep items dry so I'd deduct that from the equation

Concerning the rack, what makes yours different that a rack isn't needed, what keeps the bags from rolling under towards the wheel with the weight of the contents??

BTW, not knocking you guys ... I've got a Fandango on my Dakar and I'm planning on getting the Buck and Roll to add to it when I move it over onto the big GS for longer rides.
Thanks Dan! I included the inner bags to make it a more apples-to-apples comparison of functionality, since we include inner bags that provide the convenience of pulling gear out of the panniers without removing them from the bike - and we're both claiming waterproofness (is that a word?), just achieving the same end via different methods.

I grew up backpacking in the Pacific Northwest. When I started in the late '70s, tubular metal framed packs were the state of the art. In the outdoor industry, the internal frame backpack revolutionized pack design in the mid- to late- '80s. Giant Loop is essentially bring the internal frame design concept to motorcycling - about 20+ years behind the outdoor industry.

Lighter, less vulnerable to breakage, less likely to cause subframe failure, loads positioned closer to the bike's center - it all adds up to a better ride and fewer hassles.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

I backpacked in Europe and Asia in 1970 with one of those packs with an aluminum frame and it broke in Turkey and trying to get it fixed was impossible so I hear you on frames and damages.

That's why I'm interested in soft bags instead of Jesse's that I used to own. One low side and major repairs are needed plus the chance of doing damage to your legs with the hard bags.

But at $650 I need to be convinced

So getting back to the backpack theme, they have some kind of internal frame to keep them out of the rear wheel?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #24
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,820
What would you recommend for securing the Siskiyou panniers to the bike when eating, at a motel, crossing a border, Etc.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Olaf - Thanks heaps for the info on the Coyote. one of the reason I have enjoyed the Coyote over the years is its adaptability to various loads. From fully stuffed for a month long offroad sojourn to lightly loaded for a simple overnighter. As stated i sold my old GL and back to the states in a few weeks for some gear shopping.

When lightly loaded on a simple overnighter i would fasten the two top compression straps down to their maximum,

With the new modification of the Beavertail is there less compression available in the straps before the straps bottom out? The above pic has the empty bag folded onto itself and compressed down to the maximum to where the buckles hit the seat. The new bag looks great when loaded more substantially my concern is when loaded more light? Any insight?

Any answer to the above question?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,074
I don't have enough experience with the 2013 designs yet, to accurately answer these questions, but will in the next couple of days!

FTB,
I agree that a sweet feature of Coyote 1, is its ability to roll down and become lower profile on top, but still carry a load on the sides. I don't think that has been affected with the addition of the beavertail, but haven't played with one yet, to say for sure!

Lakota,
The new Great Basin has a cable lock pass-through for securing the bag.
I will work with the Siskiyous and have a recommendation for securing them, at the up coming Vancouver Bike show, this weekend.

Dan,
Giant Loop designs uses tensioned straps as a key to the "framework" of the bag. The shape of the Siskiyou panniers and the design of their mounting straps allow the bags to be mounted securely against the side panels of the bike.

The Siskiyou's mounting system is a good example of the careful design work, thorough prototyping and effective, long term testing that goes into creating a new Giant Loop product. There are many items to consider when "hanging stuff" off the back of a multi-surface motorcycle and THE big one is keeping that "stuff" out of the back wheel and its undulations, while on rough terrain.

Thanks for the questions! Keep them coming
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I Dan, Giant Loop designs uses tensioned straps as a key to the "framework" of the bag. The shape of the Siskiyou panniers and the design of their mounting straps allow the bags to be mounted securely against the side panels of the bike.
I've tried to show the GS from the side, I'd like the panniers to mount where the rear seat would go with a duffle like this on top of the straps. Note there isn't any body work like KLR or DR or whatever that would hold the bags away from the tire and exhaust. Would they lean against the passenger foot peg and would that be enough??

Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Taz1200

Oddometer: 174
Are any of the GL products going to be at the NY international motorcycle show?.. It would help in deciding which setup would work best...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Am using the original heat sheilds which stand off from the exuasts .

How do the new ones mount ? Are there spacers ?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Vancouver Motorcycle Show

We're heading to Vancouver, BC for the motorcycle show later this week.

This will give us a chance to share a bunch of photos of 2013 bags on bikes, with details to help answer questions.

Heat Shield mounting is identical - stainless steel clamp included:
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...gs-heat-shield

2013 Great Basin Saddlebag dimensions are about a 1.75" deeper (measured across top, from front to back). This gives the bag extra volume, but has no effect on how it mounts.

Stay tuned . . . !

OlafofOregon screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 06:01 PM Reason: adding link
Closed Thread