User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #121
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Photos of Giant Loop on rally race bikes, from the Tuareg rally in Tunisia, taken by inmate JMo&piglet. She is on scene following the rally and writing reports for the Tuareg thread in Racing. www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865985

This is a special edition Mojavi and it looks the part, on the back of Lukas M's Husaberg.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #122
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
MoJavi Saddlebags in Tuareg Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Photos of Giant Loop on rally race bikes, from the Tuareg rally in Tunisia, taken by inmate JMo&piglet. She is on scene following the rally and writing reports for the Tuareg thread in Racing. www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865985

This is a special edition Mojavi and it looks the part, on the back of Lukas M's Husaberg.
Looks like Giant Loop rider #317 Jean-Luc Solans is doing well in the amateur class, also racing with a MoJavi Saddlebag!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #123
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Looks like Giant Loop rider #317 Jean-Luc Solans is doing well in the amateur class, also racing with a MoJavi Saddlebag!
And #133 also racing with a MoJavi Saddlebag!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #124
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
#133 is Dirk Kessler.

Jean-Luc had his race stickers stuck on the side pockets of the Mojavi. I didn't recognize it at first until OlafofOregon confirmed the sighting!

Lukas M
Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #125
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Lukas M
Email today from Lukas:

"Just wanted to give you a quick update after returning from Tunisia yesterday. I fitted the Mojavi bag on day one and usually carried a 2 liter fuel bottle on one side, 1.5 liters of water on the other, along with some spares and tools distributed across the 3 pouches. I must have dropped / crashed the bike more than 100 times in total in the week of riding, and the Mojavi did not budge an inch, never needed re-tightening the straps and does not have any marks on it."

"I couldn't have been happier and honestly think it's the perfect addition for day trips and rally racing, as apparently did lots of other people that asked me about the bag. It's very nice to have be able to carry the fluids required by regulations, yet have such quick and easy access which means you can actually use them up ASAP to get rid of the weight, compared to a non-user friendly reservoir on the bash plate."
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #126
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Siskiyou Pannier Measurements

12" Pannier front height
8" Pannier rear height
18.5" Pannier length
8" Pannier width
Lids 8.5" wide x 16" long
I'm confused. By my calculations, that comes to 1,480 in³ of volume, or just over 24 liters. The GL Web site says 35 liters. If you include the pocket on the end, that's 2 extra liters (or is it a pocket on each end for 4 liters?). Still doesn't add up to 35. Are these dimensions correct? If so, where does the extra space come from?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #127
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
I'm confused. By my calculations, that comes to 1,480 in³ of volume, or just over 24 liters
It's not an easy shape to measure but 24L is exactly the figure I just arrived at in reviewing them for my website - not including the pocket.
Definitely looks like less volume than my Magadans which are deeper and about the same volume when rolled right down, but that can be expanded as needs require.
Other than that, the new GLs look like a sturdy set of bags.
Great to have a growing choice of overland-ready soft bags.

Chris S screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 02:11 PM Reason: added
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #128
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
It's not an easy shape to measure but 24L is exactly the figure I just arrived at in preparing a review for my website - not including the pocket.
Definitely looks like less volume than my Magadans which are about the same rolled right down, but that can be varied.
Other than that, a sturdy and stiff set of bags. More impressions in a day or two.

Agreed on the choice. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on these, since I have yet to see them in person.

Dyslexics untie!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #129
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Email today from Lukas:

"Just wanted to give you a quick update after returning from Tunisia yesterday. I fitted the Mojavi bag on day one and usually carried a 2 liter fuel bottle on one side, 1.5 liters of water on the other, along with some spares and tools distributed across the 3 pouches. I must have dropped / crashed the bike more than 100 times in total in the week of riding, and the Mojavi did not budge an inch, never needed re-tightening the straps and does not have any marks on it."

"I couldn't have been happier and honestly think it's the perfect addition for day trips and rally racing, as apparently did lots of other people that asked me about the bag. It's very nice to have be able to carry the fluids required by regulations, yet have such quick and easy access which means you can actually use them up ASAP to get rid of the weight, compared to a non-user friendly reservoir on the bash plate."
Great to hear and even more awesome to see them being run in a Rally!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #130
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
It's not an easy shape to measure but 24L is exactly the figure I just arrived at in preparing a review for my website - not including the pocket.
Definitely looks like less volume than my Magadans which are about the same rolled right down, but that can be varied - or should I say, expanded.
Other than that, a sturdy and stiff set of bags. More impressions in a day or two.

Interesting to see how the numbers work out. I never even measured them and I know they are noticeably bigger than the prototypes that were called the Kodiaks at 60L, that I ran last year.

I also know GL was doing the volume measurement by filling them with something (can't remember what) and then using that volume, but of course you'd expect it to come out the same. That is about the only way to get the volume of the MoJavi/Coyote/Great Basin since the shapes are so elaborate.

Also FYI the front pockets were designed to fit Touratech's 2L rectangular fuel bottles but I don't think that was part of the total volume. (Those also fit in the MoJavi side pockets ).

We do have them in Canada Sturgeon, but on the West Coast (and at some dealers too) but I think you're somewhere East though?

You're welcome to check them out of course...maybe a ride?

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #131
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Interesting to see how the numbers work out. I never even measured them and I know they are noticeably bigger than the prototypes that were called the Kodiaks at 60L, that I ran last year.

I also know GL was doing the volume measurement by filling them with something (can't remember what) and then using that volume, but of course you'd expect it to come out the same. That is about the only way to get the volume of the MoJavi/Coyote/Great Basin since the shapes are so elaborate.

Also FYI the front pockets were designed to fit Touratech's 2L rectangular fuel bottles but I don't think that was part of the total volume. (Those also fit in the MoJavi side pockets ).

We do have them in Canada Sturgeon, but on the West Coast (and at some dealers too) but I think you're somewhere East though?

You're welcome to check them out of course...maybe a ride?

Dave
Yeah, thanks for the invite, but it's still a bit 'white' here in Ont to ride to BC. :cool:

I'll see them soon enough locally. Just curious about the actual volume.

Dyslexics untie!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #132
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Siskiyou Panniers - Packable Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
I'm confused. By my calculations, that comes to 1,480 in³ of volume, or just over 24 liters. The GL Web site says 35 liters. If you include the pocket on the end, that's 2 extra liters (or is it a pocket on each end for 4 liters?). Still doesn't add up to 35. Are these dimensions correct? If so, where does the extra space come from?
Giant Loop's Siskiyou Panniers are not rigid metal boxes. They bulge and expand in three dimensions. We measure packable/usable volume, using our super scientific fill-bag-with-dried-pinto-beans-in-2-liter-measuring-cup method.

Here are 35 liters of beans in one side of the Siskiyou Panniers. It seems to be human nature that we all tend to fill our luggage to its maximum capacity, so we count space under the lid, the bulge in the side, etc. In this pic the beans are about 1.5 inches above the top of the zippered "collar" under the lid = 35 liters of packable/usable space (without including the pocket).
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #133
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It's not an easy shape to measure but 24L is exactly the figure I just arrived at in reviewing them for my website - not including the pocket.
Definitely looks like less volume than my Magadans which are deeper and about the same volume when rolled right down, but that can be expanded as needs require.
Other than that, the new GLs look like a sturdy set of bags.

I understand the logic of your volume calculations here, but soft luggage is not a rigid solid object. We measure packable/usable volume.

We look forward to getting your feedback after you've had the chance to pack them up and ride with the Siskiyou Panniers!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #134
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
A bit slick but I accept your explanation on how you came up with 35L and speculated that was your method in my review. A shaped bag's volume can be optimised ;-). I'll try the beans trick on my Magadans one of these days.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #135
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Giant Loop's Siskiyou Panniers are not rigid metal boxes. They bulge and expand in three dimensions. We measure packable/usable volume, using our super scientific fill-bag-with-dried-pinto-beans-in-2-liter-measuring-cup method.

Here are 35 liters of beans in one side of the Siskiyou Panniers. It seems to be human nature that we all tend to fill our luggage to its maximum capacity, so we count space under the lid, the bulge in the side, etc. In this pic the beans are about 1.5 inches above the top of the zippered "collar" under the lid = 35 liters of packable/usable space (without including the pocket).
Did you happen to measure the max width when they were stuffed?

Dyslexics untie!