User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,836
Great job!

Thanks for the ride report. You did a great job! Keep 'em coming.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
alcanrider OP
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
would love too .. yeah dual military family im a has been and wife is about to retire .. but we are Alaskans from Wasilla just waiting to stop playing Army ..

We just left FT WW after 2 tours there and one in Anchorage .

I lived in monument /Palmer lake as a kid in the 70;s and early 80"S ..changed alot since then .
Sometimes I wish I were back in Alaska, somewhere other than Anchorage though. I originally moved here to be stationed at Buckley AFB. Retired in 07. All the crowds of people took a lot to get used to, and I still hate cities, but going to the mountains makes it worth while. The wife misses Alaska also, but wants to live in the Springs.

Like how you have your ride set up, hopefully I will have Mulina set up like that by Spring. Look forward to riding with you someday and welcome to CO!
Doug
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
alcanrider OP
alcanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Thanks for the ride report. You did a great job! Keep 'em coming.
Thanks Mr_Gone! You have an awesome State to ride in over there.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
alcanrider OP
alcanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Nice effort on the ride report. Get well soon!
Hey redrockrider, I love your RRs, you are responsible for me getting the small bike bug. So now when I end up buying a wr250r, and get in trouble with the wife, you are in a World of trouble!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
alcanrider OP
alcanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Thanks for the RR...good luck with the ribs
Thanks, and I can't wait to get back on the road again.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanrider View Post
Sometimes I wish I were back in Alaska, somewhere other than Anchorage though. I originally moved here to be stationed at Buckley AFB. Retired in 07. All the crowds of people took a lot to get used to, and I still hate cities, but going to the mountains makes it worth while. The wife misses Alaska also, but wants to live in the Springs.

Like how you have your ride set up, hopefully I will have Mulina set up like that by Spring. Look forward to riding with you someday and welcome to CO!
Doug

Sounds great , yeah im having same issues with the cities, crowds and noise .. keep to myself mostly because of it and just ride my bike daily heading towards the hills .

Im from just outside Wasilla by Big Lake so we didnt have much for crowds and traffic . I am enjoying riding in jan for sure !!!

bought this bike 1 july and have 7500 miles now ..back home i wouldnt touch it till June . i love exploring Colorado and the old mining trails and cabins .. Feels like back home with our Mining history ..

Too Bad Temps drop this weekend id have a excuse to ride up your way ..

I bought a old xt350 so i can go deeper into the woods with less effort last month .
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
cmacfar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanrider View Post

HERES JOHNNY! One of the most famouns lines from a movie ever. I can just see him poking his head through the door. Anyway, this is the Stanley hotel where "The Shining" was shot/made.

That does it for the first Colorado Day trippin addition, I hope I didn't bore you too much. Will be adding more later after I am healed up. Need to take some more Percocet.
Glad to hear you're doing ok. Do you think the bike wiped out on sand or was there a slick spot on the road? Being a wussy adventurer I tend to avoid the mtns. in the winter because of the sand more than the cold as it's slick as snot and was to "blame" for my first wreck on a bike.

Regarding the Stanley, interesting bit of trivia I guess, none of the movie was actually filmed there including the exterior shots but Stephen King did write portions the book there. My Uncle who is in the film business thought the bar scenes were filmed there but when he was in town we went up and were told otherwise. One movie that does have a shot from the hotel though is Dumb and Dumber when they run up the stairs when they're supposedly in Aspen. The Hotel is a cool place to stay though and the "ghost tour" of the place is very cool. They often run a deal where you get a night at the hotel and two tickets for the tour plus 20% off at the restaurant on Groupon and the likes that I would highly recommend.

Great pictures by the way as well and I very much enjoyed the report. Makes me want to man up and get up to the Mtns the next warm weekend!
cmacfar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
alcanrider OP
alcanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacfar View Post
Glad to hear you're doing ok. Do you think the bike wiped out on sand or was there a slick spot on the road? Being a wussy adventurer I tend to avoid the mtns. in the winter because of the sand more than the cold as it's slick as snot and was to "blame" for my first wreck on a bike.

Regarding the Stanley, interesting bit of trivia I guess, none of the movie was actually filmed there including the exterior shots but Stephen King did write portions the book there. My Uncle who is in the film business thought the bar scenes were filmed there but when he was in town we went up and were told otherwise. One movie that does have a shot from the hotel though is Dumb and Dumber when they run up the stairs when they're supposedly in Aspen. The Hotel is a cool place to stay though and the "ghost tour" of the place is very cool. They often run a deal where you get a night at the hotel and two tickets for the tour plus 20% off at the restaurant on Groupon and the likes that I would highly recommend.

Great pictures by the way as well and I very much enjoyed the report. Makes me want to man up and get up to the Mtns the next warm weekend!
Didn't know that about the Stanley. I was wondering where the maze went to. It was a combination of both sand and ice. They covered up the icy spot with the sand, and it was really kind of a fluke, because 3 inches in either direction I would have been out of danger and would not have wrecked. Bad luck on my part.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

That area looks like going back to garmisch austria area dont it ?

wayne_l screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:59 PM
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
bilborides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
1st RR

Nicely done fo a 1st RR.Get better soon.Bet its hard to take a deep breath Ouch!
bilborides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Nice job Alcan!
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

i was thinking of your report today when i did some errands and in the shady areas here there is still some ice and gravel ..

Wich got me thinking of the first week having my new 2012 Klr ..poor thing either fell over many times due to kickstand or i flopped it in the dirt wich is why i have the mo-tech guards now ..

i was lucky it was a lowspeed fall as i stalled it trying to get fully loaded bike up a short trail on Denali highway for a better pisture .. it taught me to pack it better and always wear my full gear even as slow as i fell i hit ground head first . I was ok but shaken a little ..

Heal up quick ill show you around this end of town .
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I swear those dang KLRs want lay down every chance they get. Thanks for the report, love CO pics.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

this is my bike 4 days after it was new .. it had already fallen several times due to kick stand then i went up a hill for a better shot with camera and did a slow tumble when i wheelied and bottomed out .

on day 2 i took off 2 inches of the stand and loaded up still was iffy if it flopped ..

this is at Summit on Denali highway

Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
alcanrider OP
alcanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
this is my bike 4 days after it was new .. it had already fallen several times due to kick stand then i went up a hill for a better shot with camera and did a slow tumble when i wheelied and bottomed out .

on day 2 i took off 2 inches of the stand and loaded up still was iffy if it flopped ..

this is at Summit on Denali highway

Cool pics wayne. Been a while since i was in the springs. I went to school at Peterson AFB