Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
It blows me away

It does. Grown men do not have a clue as to how to change a flat tire. I have this too on my desk it iwas part of a tool kit given to anyone that bought a model T back in the day to adjust the clutch. I get calls from roadside assistance every day about stupid shit a man should know.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
VW owners in particular.

Any time I find a guy looking oddly at a wheel w/ a jack and spare next to him, it's a VW/Audi. W/ its odd looking jack, and VW's specialized tools (e.g.: bolt cap pullers, lug bolts instead of lug nuts, Lug indexing pin), and their generally yuppy clientele...there's sometimes a good amount of cluelessness and crushed pinch welds before the spare is mounted.

that wrench looks pretty well used.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
I like the commercial with the Dad teaching his daughter how to change a tire. You would be amazed at how many grown Men that cant do that.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Work with a guy who seems pretty smart or so I thought. Was at work one day and he comes in. Says he just went out to his personal truck and one of his tires was flat. A few of the crew were listening, waiting to see when he was going to change the tire so they could help if needed. He stood there seemingly perplexed and they asked...."what are you going to do?"
His reply was that he was going to call AAA. Huh? This guy has got to be in his late 30s and has never changed a tire. Once everyone got up off the floor one of them told him to get his shit and follow him. He was going to learn to change a tire.

My daughters were 15 when they changed a tire on the car.

You see more and more cars/SUVs these days with no spare tires. Why get out of your nice air conditioned car when you can push a button or make a phone call. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem when they think that if the tire is flat the car won't move and stop in or near traffic lanes or in other really dangerous places.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Any time I find a guy looking oddly at a wheel w/ a jack and spare next to him, it's a VW/Audi. W/ its odd looking jack, and VW's specialized tools (e.g.: bolt cap pullers, lug bolts instead of lug nuts, Lug indexing pin), and their generally yuppy clientele...there's sometimes a good amount of cluelessness and crushed pinch welds before the spare is mounted.

that wrench looks pretty well used.
Funny you should mention the VW owners. I don't own or endorse VW cars but I do all my own maintenance and work on my vehicles. I even do my own alignments.

Anyways I was visiting a girlfriend I had at the time and she had a flat on her passat. Got the spare and the jack and other tools out of the trunk. Jacked up the car and got the flat off just fine. Then I go to put the spare on. "What the heck these lug bolts aren't long enough. What the heck. Why isn't the wheel flat against the hub?" I stared at in frustration or at least 10 or 15 minutes until I figured it out. The hubcentric adapter ring that the wheels used has to come off first to get the spare to fit. I felt pretty dumb about that.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Was out doing a new year's off-road run with my brother's work. The Jeep in front of me got a flat. Stopped dead center in the trail, no way around. It was starting to get dark and we had not made it back to "lunch" yet. Needless to say I wasn't ready to watch this guy try and figure out if his stock jack 1) could be found, 2) would have all the parts, 3) even work on the (mildly) lifted Jeep. No action was happening and I was hungry. The trail snacks ran out long ago. I climb into the back of the Bronco, pull out the high lift, CO2 bottle and impact wrench. At this point the driver of the Jeep was starting to think he had a flat and AAA wasn't going to be by in the next few minutes. And the line behind me was stacking up with a lot of hungry people who also were wanting there 5PM lunch. I zinged off his spare, put the high lift under the bumper and was in the air in a few seconds. Did a change rattle gunning it all the way. Put the flat back on and dropped the Jeep back on the ground. I didn't even have all my tools dragged back to the Bronco by the time he was in the driver's seat and left me behind.

And this Jeep guy was the head mechanic for a fleet of aircraft...
It was the one and only time I ever went wheeling with this group.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,887
The owner's manual should have all of the instructions for changing a tire in it. (Including the directive to transfer the hub-centric ring from the road wheel to the spare, if applicable.) The problem is that our society has fostered the idea that manual labor is beneath (most of) us, so even bothering to look for the spare is somehow reducing one's stature, even if no one is around to notice. Besides, will Starbucks even take your order if you have grease under your nails?
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Doesn't calling for roadside assistance for every little thing make insurance rates more expensive? It's not cheap to pay for someone to drive out to who knows where for what would be 10 minutes of work.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,414
The payback for them is to have to sit there on the side of the road for an hour waiting on someone.

I think beyond just knowing how to change a tire, you should do a dry run of it at home, and make sure you know the equipment for your car, and if it's even all there. I was impressed the first time I went to change the tire on my Blazer. They had not only included a scissor jack and lug wrench, but decent pair of wheel chocks and a pair of gloves in the tire kit.

I'd bet not 1 in 100 cars on the road has a set of road flares anymore.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
The payback for them is to have to sit there on the side of the road for an hour waiting on someone.
They just play with their phones while waiting.

Quote:
I think beyond just knowing how to change a tire, you should do a dry run of it at home, and make sure you know the equipment for your car, and if it's even all there. I was impressed the first time I went to change the tire on my Blazer. They had not only included a scissor jack and lug wrench, but decent pair of wheel chocks and a pair of gloves in the tire kit.
Once had an '85 T-15 Jimmy. Used the chocks several times.

Quote:
Most of the time they can't even be bothered to turn on their hazard flashers. Asking them to carry and use road flares, you might as well as them to bake a cake. They'd probably light them in the car and toss them out the window into traffic.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
I carry road flares not to use on the road but as a fire starter if I get stranded.

Add to the list "people don't know how to put chains on their vehicle"
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
Mr. Furious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Educate yourselves mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #13
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post

What? Those things are dangerous!
C/1/509 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #14
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 551
I live on a busy intersection with lots of kerbs, so far this year I've dragged my wheel chocks and car jack out of the garage 3 times to help out...it's amazing how everybody just stands around looking so sorry for themselves while you are changing their tire...

My best friend once told a story how he waited 2 hours on roadside assistance when he had a flat tire and no spare. When he arrived, the tech wouldn't touch his vehicle if he didn't subscribe to their 200€/yr service. He promptly did, "as you never know for the future". The tech stated as he didn't have a spare, he could only tow the car to the nearest shop and drop it off there. The shop skinned him some more for 1 tire (no, he didn't replace the 3 other wornout tires, or at least the other on the same axle, just the flat one)

He then went to an official dealer, and booked the car in to have a spare tire fitted. (this is a Citroen C4 Picasso, a euro kiddie hauler, it needs a special brace and mounting system to fit a spare underneath the back of the car)

After 1 hour they called, "you car already has a spare tire fitted sir"

His response?

"Oh but when I bought it second hand, it didn't mention it in the advert, so I assumed it didn't have a spare!" - In the 2 hours spend waiting on the roadside assistance, he never bothered to look?

The dealer still charged him 30 minutes for the work, which he said "that's a nice gesture, giving a 50% discount, and at first they wanted me to pay for the parts aswell so I got lucky!"

Mind you, since that all happened he;

1. Bought 4 winter tires on rims
2. Destroyed 1 of those (as in not repairable), so he spend all winter driving on 3 winter tires and 1 worn summer tire
3. Bought 4 brand new summer tires
4. Destroyed 1 of those (as in not repairable), so he spend all summer - winter - summer with 3 summer tyre and 1 worn winter tire
5. Just last month we were over at his place, he came home, drove into his OWN wall next to his driveway (sharp low rocks) and 'lo and behold...DESTROYED 1 SUMMER TIRE AND THE ENTIRE WHEEL...

I fully expect to have him show up with 3 normal wheels and a wooden block for a 4th...

Too_Tall screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 03:40 AM
Too_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 AM   #15
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
It does. Grown men do not have a clue as to how to change a flat tire.
I get calls from roadside assistance every day about stupid shit a man should know.
Would you say that grown women should also know how to change a tire etc?
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: