Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
garandman OP
Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer: 6,336
Diesel SUV's in the US?

I like my H6 Outback a lot, but someday I'll need a new car. I've driven our work Chevrolet Cruze Turbodiesels quite a bit and like them a lot.

There are starting to be more diesel SUV's on the market. The majority of them are the megabuck German luxury models. Not sure if there are any diesel wagons in the US market.

I can't see putting a wet Labrador Retriever, and outboard motor and six bags of sand in the back of a $70,000 car. And the Germans still seem to have an uneasy relationship with electrons.

Anyone have a "working" SUV mit diesel? What has your experience been?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,832
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is available in diesel, but they aren't a whole lot cheaper that the German rigs.. and I bet the depreciation curve on them is steeper than the Germans...

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/grand-ch...eep-cherry-red

Audi, BMW, MB & Land Rover all have them here... but I think the Jeep GC is the only domestic...

Why there is not a Toyota Highlander diesel (or other diesel mid-size Japanese SUV) is beyond me...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Why there is not a Toyota Highlander diesel (or other diesel mid-size Japanese SUV) is beyond me...

Toyota is committed to the hybrid, and so far you can't really say they picked the wrong path.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Denis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I just picked up a GLK 250 Bluetec for the wife last month. Small 4 cylinder turbo-charged engine. It has great power for a 4 cylinder. So far gas mileage is really nice, over 30mpg. Have to see how it stands up over time.

Denis
Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
garandman OP
Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer: 6,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
The 2L Subaru H4 turbodiesel in the Outback in Europe and Australia has 150hp and 260 ft lbs of torque. Not sold in US......

It is available with CVT and manual trans there and in Australia.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,412
Jeep GC as mentioned.

The Wrangler is supposedly going to be sold in NA with the same V6 diesel now available in the GC and 1500 Ram in the next year...(holding breath).

VW Tiguan is also supposed to be available with the TDI in 2015.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,703
I bought a new 06 Jeep Liberty CRD and had it lemon lawed. Biggest POS I've ever owned.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Toyota is committed to the hybrid, and so far you can't really say they picked the wrong path.
True enough... except on the 150k+ end of the life span...

Which would you think would have a better resale value and overall relaibility, all other things being equal: a 150,000 mile diesel Highlander or 150,000 hybrid Highlander??

I'm not saying that it is the wrong... but man...
Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I bought a new 06 Jeep Liberty CRD and had it lemon lawed. Biggest POS I've ever owned.
Yeah.. then there is that situation..
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
The Mazda CX-5 offers a 2.2L diesel outside of the US. Even though diesel engines get better mpg, with the cost of diesel fuel more expensive will car/ small suv diesels ever be popular in the US?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
McCormack
Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
The Mazda CX-5 offers a 2.2L diesel outside of the US. Even though diesel engines get better mpg, with the cost of diesel fuel more expensive will car/ small suv diesels ever be popular in the US?
Let's compare cars (these are my own verifyied mpg, and fuel prices from fill up last night):

2015 Mazda6: 32.5 mpg. Say 500 miles per week. Gas = $3.30/gal = $50.82 per week.

2012 Jetta TDI: 44.0 mpg. Also 500 miles per week. Diesel = $3.80/gal = $43.32

So a savings of $7.50, but with way more torque = more smiles.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
You also have to factor in the cost of upgrading to a diesel engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Let's compare cars (these are my own verifyied mpg, and fuel prices from fill up last night):

2015 Mazda6: 32.5 mpg. Say 500 miles per week. Gas = $3.30/gal = $50.82 per week.

2012 Jetta TDI: 44.0 mpg. Also 500 miles per week. Diesel = $3.80/gal = $43.32

So a savings of $7.50, but with way more torque = more smiles.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I like my H6 Outback a lot, but someday I'll need a new car. I've driven our work Chevrolet Cruze Turbodiesels quite a bit and like them a lot.

There are starting to be more diesel SUV's on the market. The majority of them are the megabuck German luxury models. Not sure if there are any diesel wagons in the US market.

I can't see putting a wet Labrador Retriever, and outboard motor and six bags of sand in the back of a $70,000 car. And the Germans still seem to have an uneasy relationship with electrons.

Anyone have a "working" SUV mit diesel? What has your experience been?
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty with a CRD. It's a fantastic rig. Tows 6,000 lbs and gets decent (20 or so) MPG.

They only made it for two years and it represents about 7% of total production for this body style.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
You also have to factor in the cost of upgrading to a diesel engine.
which is worth about 7 years of gas
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
chappy
Porkchop Sandwiches

Oddometer: 1,914
I preface this with the fact that I love diesels and really wanted it to work out as like many people I find value in them, they are cool, and frankly want one just because I want one sometimes.

But...

For most it just does not make sense with they way all the companies are charging such a premium on the diesel motor upgrade, the price of diesel being higher, the price of maintenance being higher (particularly fuel filters darn near every oil change and they are normally turbo and those need more attention also to stay right) and there being so many instances of gas motors closing the mpg gap on the diesels. Like the Cruze ECO vs Diesel, suvs like the CX5 that are getting mid thirties on gas, and even VW's own cars have closed the gap compared to say 5 years ago.

If you are going to keep the vehicle for a very long time it may be worthwhile as you may eventually make the money back if you luck up and get a particularly reliable one (long after the car is paid off probably). Most don't keep their cars that long anyway and even if the the diesel is superior in its lifespan the rest of the car will be coming apart if you go German (everything electrical) and Chrysler (everything around the motor).

Probably only really makes sense right now if you are hauling a lot of weight, very often in a truck.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: