User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
theraymondguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Eek Downsizing:'12 Savana to '12 Transit Connect

My peers are in a pinch. One of our service techs is returning to the wrenches early next week after an injury related hiatus. We're short on service vans, we have a couple of Transits at another branch - and I have opted to take one of the Transits in lieu of the 2500 Savana.

Why would a guy give up 150 HP, 2 fwd gears and half the storage?

A. I have logged over 500,000 KM on Chevy vans. It's time for a change.
B. My '07 Durango is hogging the driveway, especially when Mrs TRG somehow manages to squeeze it in sideways.
C. The Savana is plain jane - no rear heat, no keyless, no CD/Audio port, nadda.

We're in the material handling game (lift truck repair). My gear fits on paper, the cargo area is 72" x 50 (on the floor where it counts). 26" tool box, 20 Gallon air compressor (which I'll have to convert to electric power from gas as there isn't headroom to fill the fuel tank), small site tool box, jacks, enough blocking (not all), nut/bolt hardware kit. There'll be enough room to retain one rack of shelving for a small selection of parts and consumables.

This may be lunacy in the opinion of many, but stick around for the pics and popcorn at least.
theraymondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,786
No problem. I did the same thing a few years ago. Went from an E250 typically loaded like this:

To a transit connect. I quickly realized I carried too much crap I really didn't need. And if I need something I don't have, I'll get it off the shelf in the garage when I get home and do it tomorrow.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
I don't carry as much stuff as you guys but I carry a fair amount. I work out of my personal vehicles and I used to keep two pick up trucks with camper shells, one for work and one for play. Through a series of vehicle downsizing Moves I have come to agree with Imaposer (who I met a couple years back through a flea market deal on some ammo cans) if you have the room you'll fill it up!

Once you get your feng shui on you'll be surprised at what you can do without and how much more efficient you become. I am to the point now that most days I work out of my Scion Xb, even it can carry a decent load of crap. I have even hauled empty 55 gal drums in it I just bought a new pick up last week and have committed to carrying less in it in hopes of not having to drop two grand on a camper shell. We'll see how that works out.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits

BigEasy screwed with this post 02-12-2015 at 04:43 PM
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: