User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #331
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,101
Going to have to go back through this thread.....

Thanks Donnie!!
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #332
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,018
We just got in the new MakerBot Replicator 5th Generation but have not tried it yet.

Our Replicator 2 works pretty well. Our 2X we get a build success about 1 out of 4 and I'm told that's above average, but most of our customers want ABS and support material.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #333
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Going to have to go back through this thread.....

Thanks Donnie!!
Glad it made it okay. I felt like I packed it well, but you never know...

--Donnie
Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #334
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,167
Just finished putting this together.

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #335
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

I sold the Cupcake above thinking I was going to get a Makerbot Replicator (5g). But in doing more research, I actually decided to buy one of the $750 CTC printers off eBay. First test print right out of the box went very well, so I'm pretty happy. Will see what I can do with it.

--Donnie
Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #336
James Adams
Misplaced

First print in progress...

Quick clip:

(The clicking you hear in the background is my camera taking a time-lapse video of the print.)

Time-lapse (unfortunately I didn't set it up to run long enough to capture the entire print):

Almost done. You can see the .25 honeycomb infill that I chose for this print.

Finished!

I gave it a few minutes to cool and it popped right off of the build platform (glass covered with painter's tape, not heated) without any issues.

It came out reasonably well, especially for a first print. I did spend a fair amount of time making sure that the bed was level and that the z-axis end-stop was set correctly. I used 3mm PLA filament (from Fry's) and printed using a 0.5mm J-head nozzle at 215°C.

Printed a filament spool holder because I wanted my tripod back. Brilliant, this one is printable in my diminutive (130mm x 130mm x 130mm) build area. And I wanted my tripod back.

Before:

Laying out parts:

Printing:

All done:

James Adams screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 06:02 PM
Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #337
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Ooh, I like that filament holder. The CTC has a spot for two rolls right on the back of the machine, but it's more enclosed versus your open-frame style.

Here's my first print of something useful:

Just a little deal to mount other items in GoPro style mounts. Pretty happy with how it came out for a printer right out of the box for this cheap. Haven't tweaked any settings yet.

Time to start drawing a few of my own items to print.

--Donnie
Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #338
James Adams
Misplaced

I made a replacement filament holder "axle" that's hollow, and some clips to help secure it so that it doesn't jump off of the stand (i.e. when the spool is mostly empty). I've printed the axle, and it fits great, but I haven't printed the clips yet.

I'm using OpenSCAD to make the models. I've always had a tough time using the traditional 3D modeling tools (Blender, Inventor, Sketchup, 3dsmax, etc.), but the OpenSCAD approach just "clicked".

Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #339
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,863
I wonder why.

great progress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams;24099218

I'm using OpenSCAD to make the models. I've always had a tough time using the traditional 3D modeling tools (Blender, Inventor, Sketchup, 3dsmax, etc.), but the OpenSCAD approach just "clicked".

[IMG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-quTFu9lnq2E/U2h6OIChcTI/AAAAAAAAcxE/cBnW0ovdDmo/s800/openscad_hollow_beam.png[/IMG]
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #340
James Adams
Misplaced

If you have an Android device that supports USB OTG, you can control your 3D printer with the GCodePrintr app. So far it has worked flawlessly for me with 2nd-generation Nexus 7 tablet and a generic USB OTG adapter (thanks c.vestal).

I still use Repetier-Host to do the layout and then Slic3r for slicing, but then I save the gcode file to a folder on my OneDrive (fka SkyDrive), which syncs to my tablet. GCodePrintr handles the sending of the gcode to the printer. It also allows some manual control of the printer (similar to what Repetier-Host provides).

EDIT: Since I had Slic3r already set up for my printer, I didn't have to do any configuration to GCodePrintr to make it work with my printer. I do need to change a setting somewhere, because I am seeing some timeout messages, though it doesn't appear to be affecting performance at all.

James Adams screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 01:34 PM
Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #341
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Sounds complicated. I draw in Sketchup. Save as STL. Open in ReplicatorG. Click "generate gcode" button. Click "print to file" button and select the SD card as my destination. Remove card and insert in printer. Couple button presses on the printer and it prints.

I can skip the SD card step and print via USB, but with my 2010 MacBook Air I have had it interrupt and screw up a print a little. The SD step makes that impossible. *shrug*

--Donnie
Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #342
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I made a replacement filament holder "axle" that's hollow, and some clips to help secure it so that it doesn't jump off of the stand (i.e. when the spool is mostly empty).

Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #343
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Aside from the awesomeness that is ADV, is there a good general forum for 3D printing that folks here would recommend? In my searches I see a good many different ones, but the only one with any decent traffic I've stumbled upon is the RepRap one. I'm not really using a RepRap or even RepRap-derived printer (I don't think) since I have a Makerbot Replicator clone, but maybe that's still a reasonable place to ask questions.

Basically, I've got my printer doing fairly well, but I loaded some orange filament and did an iPhone case print. It works, but it came out pretty "stringy" in look and feel on the large surface of the back. Yes, I did remove the build platform (which came off quite nicely), and I think I have the table level and a good distance from the nozzle (a business card is snug, but will move). Could it just be cheap ABS doing that? I got it off eBay. But in my poking around I can't seem to tell what's good from crap in that department, either.

Any thoughts here?

--Donnie
Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #344
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
It works, but it came out pretty "stringy" in look and feel on the large surface of the back.
I assume your software is configured for your nozzle and filament sizes. I know that with Slic3r, you can fine-tune the extrusion rate; maybe you can set it to 110% or something similar to push just a little bit more plastic through to make the lines slightly wider to improve the appearance.

If the problem seems to be more with the plastic not adhering to itself well enough, then I would guess that temperature is a factor; try increasing the extrusion temperature slightly on that first layer, it may improve the self-adhesion.

If the filament was bargain-basement filament, the plastic quality is probably fine, but the filament diameter may not be consistent, resulting in an inconsistent extrusion rate (which isn't good). You can periodically measure the diameter of the filament with a set of calipers to see if it's consistently 3mm or 1.8mm or whatever they claim it is. If the diameter is consistent but not quite what it's labeled as, then I would imagine that the software can be configured to compensate for that.

James Adams screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 10:18 PM
Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #345
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Good suggestions. It's definitely configured right...I'm seeing much better behavior with white and blue filaments that I have. That said, I *did* monkey with table alignment in between. After some more reading, I *think* I might have the table a little far from the nozzle right now. I used a pretty thick card-stock type business card to set it, and I think I need to go to a regular sheet of paper.

Funny you mention the diameter of the filament...I'm getting very consistent printing, so I think this roll is fine in that department. But I had a yellow from the same vendor that won't even feed. It's supposed to be 1.75mm that's okay to +/- 0.05mm, but it measured 1.85+ and sometimes as much as 2.0! Spooled out about 10 feet and it was fairly consistent. Measured the butt-end where it stuck out of the spool at like 1.9mm. The vendor is replacing that roll with no questions asked, though. *shrug*

I'm not sure I'd say it's "bargain basement", I just don't trust some eBay vendors. They had a wide selection of colors and fast service, but where are THEY getting this stuff from?

Anyway, gonna play with it some more. Table alignment first, then maybe some settings to see if it does need more pushed through of this particular filament for some reason.

--Donnie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: