User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Ricardito OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Nikon COOLPIX P510

Before I plunk down $350 for a new camera, I'd like to hear some opinions on my choice which is the Nikon COOLPIX P510. It may perhaps be more of a camera than I need (I currently own an old Nikon COOLPIX 2500), but I can't quite decide on an alternative.
Suggestions and advice derived from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Ricardito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardito View Post
Before I plunk down $350 for a new camera, I'd like to hear some opinions on my choice which is the Nikon COOLPIX P510. It may perhaps be more of a camera than I need (I currently own an old Nikon COOLPIX 2500), but I can't quite decide on an alternative.
Suggestions and advice derived from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Good camera but it's a bit on the larger and bulkier side. It doesn't "palm well" while riding and it takes up a lot of tankbag space. Forget about putting it in a pocket.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Just got one and still got to learn how to use it. So far, so good. The zoom is amazing:

EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,205
I usually try and steer folks away from superzooms, they just have too many compromises. You end up leaving them at home, or on the bike, or in the car because you can not slip them into your pocket, and they just dont cut the mustard when you start trying to use all that magical zoom you think you have. This is a variable aperature lens, 3.0-5.9, that means when you start zooming out your max aperature will be 5.9, which is slow. I have never seen a picture taken zoomed out on these cameras that was anything more than a digital remider that you happened across a bear on your ride.. as far as image quality is concerned, nothing more than a snapshot.

OTOH for snapshots and webposts you will be getting a camera that can cover a wide variety of situations.

Read the conclusions here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-p510/6 definitely avoid shooting at anyting above ISO 800.

I would still suggest saving your $$ and trying to get one of the new 4/3 systems or mirrorless DSLR systems, or even buing a true compact with a better/faster/sharper lens, but if you want to keep things around $400 then the 510 is a solid choice.