User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 168
ya get what you pay for

I'm a firm believer in buying quality. My Big Agnes 2 man tent is great. But if you're only camping once or twice a year it's better to spend your money on a motel or B&B and save hauling the extra weight of camping gear.
If the weather forecast guaranteed to be perfect then I suppose just a simple tarp and sleeping bag would make sense.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Neonguy95
Self Sponsored Rider

Oddometer: 300
Just went through this while gathering gear for Prudhoe Bay this summer.

Found 4-5 tents that peaked my interest looked at those I could in town and then started watching reviews on YouTube. People setting them up, talking about them and made my choice from there.

Ended up with a Rei half dome 2 plus. 160 with free shipping. Packs up small. 22 inches about the size of a loaf of bread. Got the foot as well. One pole setup. Nice and light. About the same as the hubba hubba for 1/2 the price. Lots of good reviews. Setup in less than 5 minutes fits two adults and gear, my wife is super woman but no super model.

My two cents anyway.

Sent from Galaxy Note 2
Neonguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #33
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 197
I got a Marmot Astral 2P on sale at REI. Fairly roomy and packs down to a reasonable size.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
If you join REI you can use one of their tents on your trip and return it when you're done. They take everything back for a full refund.
Bad karma on that. Come back and bite you when you least expect it.

+1 on Eureka and Kelty tents. I second the advice to get a full fly for rain protection. Tents that attach to the poles with clips instead of pole sleeves are easier to set up and take down.

Overstock.com has a lot of tents at decent prices. Campmor is another good place to shop.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos

Smithee screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 12:08 PM Reason: Cause I could.
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #35
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
If you join REI you can use one of their tents on your trip and return it when you're done. They take everything back for a full refund.
Unethical at best.

REI does have a great exchange policy, though, and if you have a local store keep your eyes open for a 'scratch and dent' sale where they sell the items that have been returned. You can get some great deals on barely used gear there. They list the reason for return on the price tag, and some of the reasons make you certain some people are shameless - I have seen more than one pair of boots, for example, with almost worn out soles returned as "did not fit".

cchoc screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 01:30 PM
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #36
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Overstock is also a good choice. I looked there quite a bit but REI's return policy is tough to beat. If you buy it and just don't like the layout or anything about it you can return/exchange it with no problems. I was unsure on what I was going to like so that exchange policy was inviting to me. My Passage 2 worked out good though. I did exchange a few accessories I bought from REI though with no problems.
GearHd6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #37
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 840

Kelty Gunnison series from REI. just bought my one man on close out for $90. this is a STEAL for a Kelty. Top notch quality. The next tier of tents up is MSR and you find those on Everest and super extremes.

Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #38
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,675
Do all these tents have stakes that go into the ground? Or are some of them "free standing" for lack of a better term?
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #39
joeoldbmwrider
oldjoe

Oddometer: 10
Lone Rider

Look at Catoma Outdoor.

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com
joeoldbmwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Do all these tents have stakes that go into the ground? Or are some of them "free standing" for lack of a better term?
*almost* all tents come with stakes... usually cheaper tents come with thin crappy pegs that bend into almost unusable shapes the 1st time you use 'em while more expensive tents usually come with stronger (possibly lighter) stakes. Always be sure that you have enough stakes for the tent 'corners' as well as the fly tie-down points and possibly a few extras for pole repair or emergency campfire utensils .

Free-standing tents mean the tent body is supported by a frame/pole structure without any stakes or guy-lines. Great for lifting up and shaking dirt/debris out before packing away and usually what you'll find in a "dome-type" tent. Non-Freestanding means that the tent is supported by tension between the poles, stakes and/or guylines. Either way - you still need stakes for the tent proper and then for the fly (but many use the same stake-point, like the 4-corners of the tent for example will each use the same stake).
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #41
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
*almost* all tents come with stakes... usually cheaper tents come with thin crappy pegs that bend into almost unusable shapes the 1st time you use 'em while more expensive tents usually come with stronger (possibly lighter) stakes. Always be sure that you have enough stakes for the tent 'corners' as well as the fly tie-down points and possibly a few extras for pole repair or emergency campfire utensils .

Free-standing tents mean the tent body is supported by a frame/pole structure without any stakes or guy-lines. Great for lifting up and shaking dirt/debris out before packing away and usually what you'll find in a "dome-type" tent. Non-Freestanding means that the tent is supported by tension between the poles, stakes and/or guylines. Either way - you still need stakes for the tent proper and then for the fly (but many use the same stake-point, like the 4-corners of the tent for example will each use the same stake).
Zactly what I was wondering - thanks! Last tent I bought was a JC Penny's pup tent back in the 70's LOL,,which I still have but not what I want to take down the TAT this summer.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #42
birddogone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

Call me old fashion, but that's steal'n in my book......
birddogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #43
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddogone View Post
Call me old fashion, but that's steal'n in my book......

You are old fashioned.

Me too.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #44
Shesaid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Other than a week in Vermont, what do you need this tent to do? Be super lightweight? Scrunch down small so you can pack it into tight spaces? Be free-standing? Sleep 1? Sleep 2? Sleep 3? Sleep 2 and hold extra gear?

The motorcycle is new for me-- tents! Now TENTS I know. I've been accused of having more tents than friends-- but if I get more friends, I have enough tents for all of us.

I suggest checkingout Coleman's website. Look at their backpacking tents-- the exponent line. I have two tents from this line. They are both simple, free standing, dome tents. They are competitively light and small, and significantly less expensive than the MSRs, Keltys, Sierra Designs, etc. Mostly: I have spent 100's of nights in them and never gotten wet in pouring rain, hail and snow. Absolutely amazing tents for the price.

The only one I like better is my Henry Shires Tarptent. Which has also kept me warm and dry in rain, hail, and snow-- although I don't recommend the snow, it was totally unexpected. But the thing weighs almost nothing and packs as easily as a garbage bag, it's hard not to love it.
Shesaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #45
Racenut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I like my Marmot Limelight 3. Just the right size for 2 people or super spacious for 1. Also has two doors so no climbing over each other in the middle of the night when nature calls. It's freestanding, easy and fast to setup. Even the rainfly clips to tent so no strings unless it's windy and you don't have enough gear inside to hold it down. Even then a stake at each corner has always been enough. Got it on super sale at REI used gear sale. Turned out it had never even been unrolled, the reason marked for return was it was too heavy for a backpacker. Perhaps not an ultralight, but it's certainly the lightest tent I've ever owned.
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote