User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #136
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Getting there!

I'm enjoying all of these RR's that take us along in time. I'm 69 now and I'll have to admit that this is the first year that I'm finding my recliner sorta inviting more often then not. Dang, I don't like that feeling! I really enjoy sitting here doing nothing but reading about these other adventures though, so thanks for taking the time to do this for the rest of us.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #137
C14xTom
On the move!

Oddometer: 427
Rick, Just missed you somewhere. We left York, Pa. on Memoral Day Saturay weekend. May 26th. Stayed at Fairbanks U Sunday 3rd of June. Monday to Artic Circle and back To Fairbanks U. Tuesday saw Dan at Adventure Cycle. We met the coulpe that flew from Cal to ride the Dalton while we were on the Dalton. We also talked to the man from Colorado in Fairbanks. And I agree!!!! Awsome RR Tom
C14xTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #138
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer: 208
All I can say is WOW that has got to be one of the best if not the best put together ride report video's that I have came across. BRAVO!
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #139
staudio
Time for a ride...

Oddometer: 179
just watched all 7 videos......great job
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #140
duckassassin1
KLR Junkie

Oddometer: 21
Laugh Wow!

Rick,

Fantastic videos, I watched all seven. My riding buddy and I are planning a trip in 2014, and thanks to you we are even more excited. I saw the pic of the Basket, that is my home town of Newark Ohio or Nerk as the locals say. The videos made me miss my 06 connie as well. We will be riding our KLR's on our trip, which we have farkled to death to make them comfortable for the long hauls. Thanks again for the great report and videos.

Jeff
duckassassin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #141
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckassassin1 View Post
Rick,

Fantastic videos, I watched all seven. My riding buddy and I are planning a trip in 2014, and thanks to you we are even more excited. I saw the pic of the Basket, that is my home town of Newark Ohio or Nerk as the locals say. The videos made me miss my 06 connie as well. We will be riding our KLR's on our trip, which we have farkled to death to make them comfortable for the long hauls. Thanks again for the great report and videos.

Jeff
Hi, Jeff.
I happened to go through Newark on the way home because I spent my last night on the road with my brother-in-law in Howard, OH. (Near Danville).

I'd seen photos of the Longaberger building before, and needed one more attraction to visit before bringing the trip to an end.

If I'd had more time, I would have made another stop at the Warther museum in Dover (But I've been there several times).

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #142
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Great job, Quite a trip.
Just finished watching the last video. Enjoyed them very much.
Dan
Dan888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #143
Ivanhoe-2001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Alaska

Great
Great report thanks for the effort. Made the trip in July of 2011. Your videos brought the trip back to life. Told my wife, now this is how it really was. My Wee did a great job as I see your Connie did. Thanks again. ic

/https://login.findmespot.com/spot-main-web/locations/history.html

Ivanhoe-2001 screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 02:19 PM
Ivanhoe-2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #144
Scrooge
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Parallel universe?

Rick,

While watching the great videos and reading this report, I see some funny coincidences. Back in 04, I did a solo trip to Banff, Jasper, Icefields Parkway, Hyder, Skagway, Anchorage. On the trip, I rode a Connie the same color as yours, although mine was an '87. At least in your pics the color looks the same, I believe the 03 is a brighter red. We share the same last name. And, I see that you are a fan of the ST1300. Guess what replaced the Connie? Yup, in 06 I bought an ST1300 and still have it. Want to know what bike you will want after that? :-)

Now to the videos... You did a great job! I've always been a still camera guy because the vast majority of the home videos I've seen have been boring and torture to watch. Yours are nothing at all like that. The editing, background music, and voice-overs make yours very interesting to watch.

I think it was good fortune that your bike mount didn't work out. The helmet mount made for better video and allowed you to pan the camera. From the shadows, it looks like it was mounted on the side of your helmet. Did it give you any problems with the weight on the side?

And last, do you have any plans to sell your videos on dvd? I think they are easily as good as other things I have bought from Aerostich. Maybe with some additional footage of what worked and what didn't, it might also be a good resource for others planning a similar trip. Even after watching all seven clips, I would be willing to buy a copy to add to my motorcycle video collection for these long winters.

Again, great job. You brought back a lot of fond memories.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #145
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 163
Great RR! Thanks for taking the time to put up all the videos. I've been planning on making that same trip starting just west of Chicago when I retire soon. I've wondered how my RT would handle the haul road up to Deadhorse. After watching your trip I think I can do it! Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #146
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Love it!!

Amigo!!!

I saw your RR and love it!! a long 40+ minutes of great stuff!!! and a lot of learning!

Thank you for taking the time put it together, specially since it was all (mostly) film, and editing that it takes a long time! Much appreciated

Damasovi
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #147
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
Rick,

While watching the great videos and reading this report, I see some funny coincidences. Back in 04, I did a solo trip to Banff, Jasper, Icefields Parkway, Hyder, Skagway, Anchorage. On the trip, I rode a Connie the same color as yours, although mine was an '87. At least in your pics the color looks the same, I believe the 03 is a brighter red. We share the same last name. And, I see that you are a fan of the ST1300. Guess what replaced the Connie? Yup, in 06 I bought an ST1300 and still have it. Want to know what bike you will want after that? :-)

I think it was good fortune that your bike mount didn't work out. The helmet mount made for better video and allowed you to pan the camera. From the shadows, it looks like it was mounted on the side of your helmet. Did it give you any problems with the weight on the side?

Again, great job. You brought back a lot of fond memories.
Thanks, Scrooge!
Wow - we have a lot in common!
So at last I know that there is an ST1300 in my future.
Now I just have to print this and show my wife.... "It's my DESTINY, honey!"

After that, I imagine a Gold Wing?
Maybe I could just skip the intermediate step....

The camera didn't cause any issues as long as I stayed on secondary roads.
At Interstate speeds, I could feel the pull on the side of my helmet.
I would have mounted it on top, but I have a flip-up helmet and it got in the way.
But when I bought the WiFi BacPac, I realized that was just too heavy with its extended rear door mounted.
So I sold the whole system a couple of weeks ago, and I'm looking at the Hero3 now.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #148
Scrooge
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes View Post
Thanks, Scrooge!

So at last I know that there is an ST1300 in my future.
Now I just have to print this and show my wife.... "It's my DESTINY, honey!"

After that, I imagine a Gold Wing?
Maybe I could just skip the intermediate step....
Destiny - yeah, sounds like a good plan to me.
The 1300 is great. I had to change the fuel pressure regulator to fix the on/off throttle response, but after that it's awesome and it's an inexpensive fix.

If you want to skip the intermediate step, better not ride the Super Tenere. You like going off the beaten path and it's a pretty good mile muncher as well. Planned on getting it today, but work got in the way. :-(
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote