User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #46
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Great videos and pics!

I liked the commentary just as much. Kinda reminded me of "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" with Marlin Perkins.

("We'll step back out of the way now, while Jim removes the cub from the angry Momma Bengal Tiger, to check it's weight. Watch your fingers now, Jim.")

"Stopped to check if there was any mud on the bike. Nope, it's good"

"My favourite thing is to wake up in the morning hearing the wonderful sounds of Nature."

[deluge]

"Hmmm."

L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
pebmr
Retired Marathoner

Oddometer: 54
Very nice!

Just watched all 7 with a couple nice cold ones, a great way to spend a Friday evening! I echo the others with praise for your videos, commentary and presentation-it goes well beyond typical ride reports. I've thought for a while I would like to do a similar trip, and now with a new-to-me 650 twin I think I'm ready-just need to find 3 weeks off... Did you have any issues with bears camping? I'd be one to camp pretty much the whole way, so curious on bears, spray, ... Thanks for sharing this with all of us!
pebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #48
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Bravo!!

Came from work about two hours ago and watched your videos. Again, like everyone has said, Awesome RR!!
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #49
MiloBramble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Just watched all the videos...great RR.
MiloBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #50
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes View Post
I wish I could.
I heard about Roller Coaster Hill a lot on IceRoad Truckers, but I didn't mark it on the map, and I don't remember seeing a sign for it.
It may be the hill in the still photo in the intro....
Yep. Went back and took a closer look at the intro, and it's at 00:21-22, right after the muddy boots. You were on the north side looking back south.

Another hill, appearing at 00:12, is taken from about Mile 90.3 looking north, right after you got on the first pavement north of the Yukon.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #51
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Yep. Went back and took a closer look at the intro, and it's at 00:21-22, right after the muddy boots. You were on the north side looking back south.

Another hill, appearing at 00:12, is taken from about Mile 90.3 looking north, right after you got on the first pavement north of the Yukon.
Thanks again, Jack!
That second hill you mentioned is the one in Part 3 at 1:35, with the grumpy old geezer in it.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #52
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes View Post
I think I passed close to you on my way down to Valdez.
If I was in Glennallen at the time you passed within 3 miles of me. And if I was at home in Slana, you would have passed within 3 miles on your way up to Tok. Shoulda given you my cell #'s. Next time, fer sure.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #53
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,385
What a great set of videos. I think the best I've ever watched. Seems the older I get, the less I like riding in the cold/wet. But, would like to get into Southern Alaska at least, before I have to quit two wheels. Would of loved to see a shot of the Mackenzie Bridge straight down. Thought it was pretty kewl looking down at the water when running over that tubing side a few years back.
Thanks for all the work and time to bring these to us that may never get up there.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #54
Abig2L
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Very helpful video

Thank you for taking the ime to put this together. I am leaving KY in June for a trip to Deadhorse and have been trying to get a real sense of the road conditions on the Dalton. Your video is the best I've been able to find that actually shows what so many have tried to describe verbally.

I really appreciate your efforts in making this video. Great RR.
Abig2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #55
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebmr View Post
Just watched all 7 with a couple nice cold ones, a great way to spend a Friday evening! I echo the others with praise for your videos, commentary and presentation-it goes well beyond typical ride reports. I've thought for a while I would like to do a similar trip, and now with a new-to-me 650 twin I think I'm ready-just need to find 3 weeks off... Did you have any issues with bears camping? I'd be one to camp pretty much the whole way, so curious on bears, spray, ... Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

No - never had any problems with wildlife at all.
I had thought of buying bear spray when I got to Canada, but didn't get around to it.
Several places I camped, I could hear coyotes at night, and in Tok the coyotes quit, and I heard a wolf howling in the distance. It was awesome, but my iphone speaker just couldn't pick it up very well.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #56
Daytrader
Missin' Texas

Oddometer: 356
Thank you very much for posting.
Getting me through a rough day.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #57
markxjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
i just watched all seven vids and they were awesome, thanks for posting them Rick great job and fantastic ride.
markxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #58
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Wow! What a great ride and adventure. I gotta say, though--you are a one-man moving monsoon. I have no doubt that if you had planned your trip to include parts of the southwest last summer, they would not have had ANY problems with the drought. And as far as your rain clothing being water "resistant"....well, you would have had to be in a hermetically sealed bubble to stay dry in that weather.

Out of curiosity, did you change your tire(s) out at any time during the trip?
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #59
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Thumb

Rick, Outstanding job on the videos! I watched every minute. My wife and I were about a month behind you and travelled much of the same route up north. I recognized so many places and it was a treat to re-live it in your videos. You did some long distance endurance riding and kudos for having the balls to ride up the wet Dalton on the Connie.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #60
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Very nice work Sir!! Just finished the last of them today. I think my favorite one turned out to be the ride over Thompson Pass going to Valdez. ALCANRIDER gave me a guided (haha) tour from his home in Glenallen to Valdez and we took a little excursion off the road just over the pass. It was there that Jack took a pic of me that I consider my money shot of the entire 15k mile trip. I was watching the video over lunch the other day and the wife stepped in just as I got to the segment of you crossing the pass. I stop the clip to give her the perspective of where Jack and I were compared to the road. Brought back a good memory and was good to share with the wife

Here is my pic

Cruise back through your video and you can see the outcropping I was on for this picture!!

Thanks again for the time you spent to edit and post this RR. Pretty much locked me into buying a GoPro system. The HD video does the ride more justice than the pictures I have taken!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote