User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,940
Used scooter value Kymco

Do you guys think a 2004 People 250 with 7500 miles with a few scratches (from something falling on bike, bike not falling) is worth $1400?

Will probably require full service, tires, and a good cleaning as well as being picked up so I have to rent a truck to get it.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Price is down to 1300.

Anyone think I should jump on it?

There is a good deal on an almost new Aprilia sr50 r factory as well but that is more of just a run around town bike.

I like the longer range capabilities of the Kymco.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
It may be very well be worth it as far as the service you get out of it, but it is 9 years old now, and bikes don't hold their value well, especially if they are not a well known name brand. Not saying it's not worth it, but that is top dollar. It would need to be in excellent mechanical condition to be worth that much. I would likely buy it if a good going over didn't turn up anything bad, because I want a freeway legal scooter.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Not sure where Chandler is but you may want to check Tucson, Ride Now Powersports. They have a People S 250 listed for $1600 with just over 3000 miles and a fresh set of tires. Looks clean and has Givi top box. If it were closer I would have snagged it.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
303whodat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I have owned a few used Kymcos, and I understand the excitement and apprehension you must feel.

Do you work on your bikes, or require a mechanic?
Do you have a Kymco dealer close by?
Does the odometer read km or miles?

Here in the Boulder,CO area, People 250's seem to go 2000 and up... we had a nice red one up on CL for months, The sellers started at 4k and just kept going down. I think it may have ended up going around 2400.

Your market may vary however, I find that Denver/Boulder has some of the highest prices anywhere.

Here's a good blog of a guy who ran his P250 everywhere ( it recently died at 36k miles.)

http://kymcojones.blogspot.com/

I looked at the GrandVista 250 a lot as well, I loved my Kymcos. They ran great and gave me zero problems, I just kept moving up in size.
303whodat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Chandler is about 100 miles north of Tucson, just south of Phoenix. Ride Now, also known as Rip Off Now and Ride Never, is the biggest chain of stealer dealers in the country. They are in 5, maybe 6 states now, and still spreading. It may be advertised at $1600, but you will not get out the door with it for much under $3000. If it were at Musselman Honda in Tucson, or Western Honda in Phoenix, it might be worth a look.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

303whodat, I do all of my own work but am passing on the Kymco. I really like that model though and will keep an eye on one that is for sale in another part of the country.

Instead, I reached an agreement with another seller for something I wasn't planning on buying but the deal is too good to pass up.

Will post that up if I get it.

Jerry, Ride Now is ridiculous on their prices in Las Vegas. One wonders how they can stay in business other than buying up all of the competition. There is a local People S 250 used listed for close to $4,000 with 8,000 miles if memory serves correct. Everything they have listed is very high hence my surprise at the Tucson location with the super of price of $16xx.99.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
You buy for $1300. Sell it, say $800 at the end of whatever years you own it. Say, 5 years. That's $100 each year.
About for $8.50 a month you can use it any way you want and get enjoyment out of it.
All this is based on just the price of the scoot, not concidering mainenance break down and such.

Any ways, is it ($8.50/ mo) too much of a price to you?

I hear Kymco is good brand, solid and such.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

That's just it. That bike has been for sale for a looong time. Having to sit on a vehicle and not know what you will get or if you will get anything would be an issue.

Then there is the fact I am particular on the details. It needs to be damn near perfect.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

If you want somethin' "near perfect", you'll have to pay "near perfect" price.

Good luck in finding what you are lookin' for.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasakiman View Post
If you want somethin' "near perfect", you'll have to pay "near perfect" price.

Good luck in finding what you are lookin' for.
Lol. I found it. Well, don't want to put the cart before the horse but negotiations are complete and I will be going to pick it up in a few hours. All it takes is time and you eventually find something.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
303whodat, I do all of my own work but am passing on the Kymco. I really like that model though and will keep an eye on one that is for sale in another part of the country.

Instead, I reached an agreement with another seller for something I wasn't planning on buying but the deal is too good to pass up.

Jerry, Ride Now is ridiculous on their prices in Las Vegas. One wonders how they can stay in business other than buying up all of the competition. There is a local People S 250 used listed for close to $4,000 with 8,000 miles if memory serves correct. Everything they have listed is very high hence my surprise at the Tucson location with the super of price of $16xx.99.

Here their tactic is price it low, to get you in, and then add a fortune in fees after you have already pretty much decided to buy it. Surprisingly that works quite well.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
All it takes is time and you eventually find something.
We all DO find "something" for sure.

Good luck with your purchase!! I, too, kinda looking for good value 200-250cc scoot, but not maxi style. Post up the follow ups, please!!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
303whodat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post

Good to hear, I lucked out and stumbled into a Burgman 400 in my price range. I had been considering GrandVistas and Honda Reflexes... Now I'm not sure what I would upgrade to (except a newer one). I absolutely love mine, Currently considering a 800 mile road trip to meet some buddies in Las Vegas this coming March. The excitement about that is literally keeping me up at night.
303whodat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

The bike I went to pick up had some areas that left me a little skeptical.

This was an Aprilia SR50 R Factory with less than 60 miles. Tires still have the nipples from injection molding and the bike was in decent overall condition. However, scratches from storage(AMA pit bike) and body panels this fit slightly odd and a few screws missing allowed my motivation to plummet. Factor in the test ride which saw it get to 30mph decently quick but the transmission having a rattle noise and my feet colder than witches baby milk makers.

I passed. Was a nice scoot though. Reminded me of the build quality of the Ducati and Aprilia full size mounts I have ridden(very solid and over built).

The searching is fun so I will keep looking.

I wouldn't mind a maxi scooter but a good do all machine would be preferred. If someone would make a truly off road worthy 250cc Zuma with TW200-esque styling that could cruise 60 to 70 mph while storing a full face helmet+ under the seat... Street legal Honda EZ90 Cub on steroids?

Getting off on a tangent though. Back to Craigslist.

I really like the Majesty 400's also.

This below is the bike I want to buy. They have been listing for a while and it supposedly is in excellent condition but looks like it has a few marks on the right side running board.

Would be a fly and ride or bus and ride to get it back. If it is still for sale when the weather is better then I may pull the trigger. It says OBO but when I sent the owner an offer they said they would knock $50 off for the permit for a temporary registration. Not much movement.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/3502446191.html

brianwheelies screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 05:24 PM