User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Purchased a lemon, now what?

So I purchased a used BV350 with 3200 miles on the clock about a month ago from an inmate here. The scooter was described as great condition, no surprises, and no leaks or drips. This was an out of state purchase so we met in the middle, each traveling one state away on a rainy day and we essentially swapped cash for scooter and headed back where we came from. Because of the rain, there was not much of a look over.
When I got home and was unloading the scooter from the trailer I noticed oil all over the bottom of the engine. Hoping for the best, I cleaned it up thinking maybe it was a result of a spill during filling. No such luck, I took it for a spin and it was obvious it was leaking from the flywheel cover. Not wanting to make this repair myself and to get a second opinion I took it to the Piaggio dealership where they agreed that the flywheel cover was the origin of the leak. When the mechanic removed the flywheel cover, only water drained out of the cooling system, no antifreeze. When he removed the radiator cap from the top, oil could be seen floating in the reservoir. Long story short, the engine is toast. $3500 for a new engine, the same price I paid for this "flawless scooter" as it was described to me. I did sign an as is contract at the time of purchase. I didn't even make it through one tank of gas.
The question is, what to do from here?

Here's the original add.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1049012

tastroman screwed with this post 05-24-2015 at 01:16 PM
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 902
Bummer.

Unfortunately as stated in your other post here on the forums about this transition you stated you bought it as is and stated that fact on a Bill of sale correct?

I'm sure you know it now that one should never buy something in the rain, dark or in a hurry. I've scoured city's for coin op car washes to have people meet me so I can look stuff over if a rain came up. I suited up and ran my helix in the rain for 40.minutes before I bought it.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do unless the seller wants to trade the bike back. I'd probably cut my losses and search for a Used engine and install it or find a independent mc shop or scooter shop to rebuild the engine.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Sorry for your trouble

Having owned 2 BV-350s Ive never heard of a grenading engine on these, (unlike several early Piaggio Mp3 500) but that being said by your own admission of "not much of a lookover" the oness is clearly on you.

A dipstick and coolant check are near the top of my pre-inspection points on any vehicle I am considering and likely could have revealed *something* to raise a caution flag. Too late for that.....perhaps finding a sympathetic Piaggio dealer or contacting a Piaggio tech-rep* directly to appeal your case might provide some sort of assistance in repair?

*PM me for contact info...it's worth a try!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 3,424
Damn, that sucks. Have you tried to contact the seller? if so, what did he say.

I posted the pics for him because he didn't know how to do it. It looked like a nice bike in the pics.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #5
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Sorry to hear about your deal gone bad. Good luck, and thanks for posting.
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,375
Sounds like with only water in the cooling system the engine froze and cracked perhaps?

Talk to the seller and see if anything can be worked out. I seriously doubt the scooter came with only water in the cooling system, so probably no help can be expected from Piaggio. Aside from that in most states lemon law doesn't apply to a used vehicle.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Damn, that sucks. Have you tried to contact the seller? if so, what did he say.

I posted the pics for him because he didn't know how to do it. It looked like a nice bike in the pics.
Seller is out of the country but said via e-mail to contact him in about a month to talk about it.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Sounds like with only water in the cooling system the engine froze and cracked perhaps?

Talk to the seller and see if anything can be worked out. I seriously doubt the scooter came with only water in the cooling system, so probably no help can be expected from Piaggio. Aside from that in most states lemon law doesn't apply to a used vehicle.
That would make sense as the scooter was purchased last fall by the seller and sold to me this spring. About 1000 miles between title reissues.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,427
I wouldn't wait a month and would get his email address as well as the shops estimate of repairs and possible cause (running water as coolant) and email it to him and start to work on a solution right now. If he is working outside the country it is not like he is broke and see if he wanted to swap back or make something right on the BV, especially since you didn't really ride it.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,162
Dealer is trustworthy?

If it ran OK going to the dealer but just had a leak...
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #11
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillis View Post
Dealer is trustworthy?

If it ran OK going to the dealer but just had a leak...
They have been in business for years but I have never had to utilize their service department. I purchased my Daelim from them but have never had any problems with it that I needed to go back to them for. It just flipped 30,000 fwiw.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #12
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Honestly, to me it's a case of buyer beware. Buying a used vehicle with no warranty, you get what you get. Sure it's a shitty situation, but if you'd have spent $100 more dollars having the bike inspected, or even inspected it yourself, I don't think you'd be in the situation.

I see it all day long, people bring their cars in for a oil change, I just got this, bought it, got a great deal...... Nevermind the fact it needs brakes, bald tires, leaking oil what have you.

If the seller comes back with some $ to help you out, that's great, but I bet you won't buy something again without an inspection.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,192
sucks sounds like an issues that is straight out factory where it was made.
Without taking it apart I wonder why it would not be just the head gasket do to oil and water ? I ve seen that happen with cars and bikes.
Guess the bottom line is 1) ether the seller makes it right 2) USA lemon laws do they apply here ? 3) Find a one that is for sale at one of the online auto / motorcycle insurance sales . YOur in luck there is one for up for auction right now San jose ca usa . It ends in 24 days. About 400 to get it ship to u . Reason for being here is Front is total out . If you buy it your can also get some cash back by ebay out the parts you don't need. might get 300 bucks back or more that way . http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/2222809...chId=448512248
4) OR Take your s home And Drop the engine out yourself . Often a few bolts and a jack. Takes about 2 hours max . FInd a place that repairs lawn mowers etc and get them to fix the issues . Most of these place charge 50 bucks an hour.
5) Plead your case directly to piaggio that a manufacturer defect cause the engine to go boom . You ve got shit to lose . Might even plead you case saying even if they will not do a good will repair at least sell you the engine at dealer cost . You could also file in small claims court suing piaggio usa importer for selling a lemon. Cost to you is 50 bucks plus company search to sell how they are register in the USA. Chance they bother showing up 50 / 50 .

Anyway it sucks but I hope these help . I think it would cost about 1200 including shipping to get the one in the auction. 300 to 600 .

if you don't repair it and no money gets back to you maybe fleabay the parts ? Ask the guys at morden vespa forum about it to. they may have a parts bike .

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 05-22-2015 at 10:18 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #14
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
Honestly, to me it's a case of buyer beware. Buying a used vehicle with no warranty, you get what you get. Sure it's a shitty situation, but if you'd have spent $100 more dollars having the bike inspected, or even inspected it yourself, I don't think you'd be in the situation.

I see it all day long, people bring their cars in for a oil change, I just got this, bought it, got a great deal...... Nevermind the fact it needs brakes, bald tires, leaking oil what have you.

If the seller comes back with some $ to help you out, that's great, but I bet you won't buy something again without an inspection.
Don't think for second that I'm not kicking myself. I saw a ton of red flags which I ignored because I wanted a BV. I have to attribute some of my complacency to this forum, I mean, were this a Craigslist bike I'm sure I would have been more cautious. Sounds crazy but buying a bike with 3200 miles on it from someone who has been a member of this forum since 2007 seemed like the safest thing in the world. I'm not trying to make excuses, more just tossing this out there to vent and as a warning to the next guy who makes a thousand dollar deal using my carefree logic as opposed to a thorough inspection.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 AM   #15
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Full metal scooter
Those are all great suggestions, thanks for taking the time. I've begun the process of pleading to Piaggio for assistance and I promise to update this thread when I hear something back from them.