Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
LoCat OP
Time it's a bitch

Oddometer: 321
Scooter as a mule

Hey All,

Trying to locate a scoot for the GF to use almost daily for light grocery shopping etc. We live on a boat most of the time with scoot parking nearby. Not her first scoot but it's been a while.

I'm guessing she may want to eventually ride her own instead of touring on my GSA, so a larger cc may be appropriate.

Why doesn't a manufacturer other than Vespa make a ride with front and rear fold out luggage racks or panniers?? (she doesn't like Vespa's)

I know under seat storage is large on a number of these but looking for more.

Any ideas?

Thanks

LoCat
LoCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 874
We spent the summer living on our boat; got around via Honda PCX 150s. When we needed to do a grocery run, we left the truck in its parking spot and took the scoots... I have a large dry bag with backpack straps - it holds about 4 grocery bags of stuff... plus a couple more under the seat.

Other times, we have strapped stuff to the passenger seat with a bungee-net.

I didn't look under the seat to see how much storage is there, but I checked out a Suzuki Burgman 200 yesterday... if the under-seat storage is the size of the seat, you could put a LOT of stuff in there.

Plenty of options without additional racks.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
I've never seen a non-Vespa (or Vespa style like the Buddy) scooter with a front rack. Rear racks and top boxes are available for just about every scooter. Suzuki Bergman 400 has massive storage. I've taken 4 day trio scarring computer and DSLR with multiple lenses as well as gear including tire repar kits with small compressor and clothes for temps ranging from 30s to upper 90s with all of it either under the seat or in its glove boxes. Amazing amount of storage without a top case on it. Ours came with a bungee net and little posts under the tail and passenger grips to secure it to. I've seen people with 80lbs of dog food secured to it with that net. You can add another 48 or more liters of storage with a top case to it if you want licking storage.

It is a beast and a bit pig like at slow speeds though but if caring capacity and the ability to tour on the open road are your needs it is worth considering. It didn't work out for us because then I do prefer a Vespa and similar classic styled scooters.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog

cdwise screwed with this post 09-14-2014 at 04:22 PM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Lots of space of carrying stuff...Sym Symba
Slightly used ones are dirt cheap.

When time to grocery shop, I don't take my car, I take the Symba. More convenient.
Easy to ride. Park by the front door instead of walking half a mile.

73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 329
My Mule

The cargo solution awaits you behind ANY establishment that sells milk.

Elite 250. Would ALMOST do 65 mph. I bolted the crate on like the ENGINEER I am, not some redneck. I easily hauled several gallons of milk, beer, AND groceries, put a bungie cargo net over the top. Backpack if I had even more, and a bag or two dangled from the handlebars if even that wasn't enough. Never had to leave anything at the store, although a COUPLE of rides home were dicey when that handlebbar bag started swinging!

I did wear out rear tires unusually fast... ;)

I once rode home sitting on a 30# bag of cat-fude!

14 years I only took the car to the grocery if it was snowing out.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Symba or Honda C70 Passport with a front and rear basket can carry two nearly full shopping bags - use a messenger bag for another 1/3 or 1/2 of a bag. My Piaggio BV250 top box carries a full grocery bag, two grocery bags can fit in a large nylon bag with hand handles fit on the floor hanging from the hook - the center fuel door bulge provides support for this bag without pulling down on the hook and also provides room for my feet underneath, then 1/2 a bag can fit under the seat and a 1/3 or 1/2 of a bag can fit in a messenger bag. That's 4 grocery bags - much more than I typically need for a weeks worth of food and whatnot. I think you could do the same with a BV350, or the Aprilia Sport City 250. The Suzuki Burgmen's with top boxes can probably carry even more than my BV.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
ct90 honda almost same as passport , 250 helix , HOnda elite 80 , 125 or 150 . Really depends on if you want to fit it on a boat or not? Also how fast you want to go . I should also say the yamaha C3 cube is a good scooter once you do some simple work to to. There a washer in the varator that stops it going over 38 MPH. Also the Honda Ruckas is a good . The Yamaha Bsw 50 or 125 is good. HOnda pcx125 or 150 got some good storeage . First thing is what you price range? Second does size of scooter matter ? CC . I ve moved myself on eltie 250 once . All 20 tubs that ranged from 40 to 70 L . .
Old 09-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCat View Post
Hey All,

Trying to locate a scoot for the GF to use almost daily for light grocery shopping etc. We live on a boat most of the time with scoot parking nearby. Not her first scoot but it's been a while.

I'm guessing she may want to eventually ride her own instead of touring on my GSA, so a larger cc may be appropriate.

Why doesn't a manufacturer other than Vespa make a ride with front and rear fold out luggage racks or panniers?? (she doesn't like Vespa's)

I know under seat storage is large on a number of these but looking for more.

Any ideas?

Thanks

LoCat
Quick check at Amazon found both folding front racks and largish front baskets custom designed for the Genuine Buddy scooters. There are also rear racks to which top cases or milk crates can be attached available for most scooters.

My Buddy has a 29 liter (larger ones are also available) top box, no front rack. Between the underseat storage (also known as the pet carrier), the top box, and the bag hook on the leg shield I can haul quite a load of groceries. In fact I use the scooter for all my shopping except when we need a bale of TP or paper towels from Costco. My pickup misses me since I got the scooter.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
I've got one that fits your bill.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4622556496.html

It's also in the scoots for sale thread at the top of this page, I can even deliver it.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
My Big Ruckus does most of my grocery shopping. Milk crate on the flat bed when the pillion seat is in the upright and a small cargo rack up front means most normal loads are no problem. Does highway speeds and I have done long days on it in comfort.
It is not light though if you plan to bring it aboard.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
LoCat OP
Time it's a bitch

Oddometer: 321
Thank you all!

Thanks for all the information and suggestions, we really appreciate them

I still think that mfg's are missing an opportunity but I'm used to big pannier's on the GS. Love hauling stuff on that thing!

Will advise on what we settle on.

Cheers!

Lo Cat
LoCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
there is nothing my tomos hasnt managed, set o vf forks? no problem, welder? no problem, front and rear tyre for the VF? no problem, starts first time every day without fail, weighs nothing, and does about a million miles to a gallon, plus it weighs nothing. oh and you buy some good tuning parts (mine goes off the clock at half throttle uphill)
Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 96
There is hardly a better scooter for the job than a Honda Elite 110 (2010 model).
The under seat storage is humongous. It has a sturdy read rack (plus the flat flood board). It can carry two and it's a reliable honda. Perfect for the job inquired.

My cross-country ride on this scooter with a passenger:

Inoplanetyanin screwed with this post 09-14-2014 at 10:23 AM
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Kymco Agility Carry,
Peugeot Ludix Pro,
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,706
I had a Yamaha Zuma 125, with a 33L Shad top case (you can get bigger ones) You could put stuff in the top case, under the seat, on the flat floor, and you could also wear a backpack. Also, while I never had them, saddlebags are also available for it.

1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote