User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
domingo3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Talking Safe age for passenger

Is there a consensus for what age is considered to be safe for kids to ride as passengers with an adult? I'm guessing that if there are laws, they vary by state. Does anyone have examples?

Would the answer be different for motorcycles vs. scoots?

Thanks,

d3
domingo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Tim-Rodriguez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I think here in the UK its allowed at any age as long as the passenger can reach the foot pegs and hold on tight and wear a helmet then its fine.

But I seen small kids strapped to their dad with a big belt joinin them 2
Old 06-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Most states in the US require the passenger to be able to touch the pegs/footboards and hold on. You can easily search each state's motor vehicle code online. I don't remember seeing any differentiating scooter vs. motorcycle, but I seem to remember somewhere (not where I live) with an actual age. I guess you'll have to search for the legalities. For a more real world rule of thumb I'd go by the road you're traveling and the ability of the kid to hold on.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
TXGSrider
IBA #11007

Oddometer: 597
Kind of funny, my wife and I were just talking about this this past weekend. I took my 5 year old son out on his first scooter ride and she wasn't happy about it at all. He may only be 5 but he's 49 inches tall and weighs in at 58lbs. He loved it but I kept it to residential streets in our neighborhood and never went over 25mph no matter how much yelled for me to go faster.

As was said earlier, most states require the child to be able to reach the pegs before they can ride. Likewise, there are usually mandatory helmet laws for kids even if they don't have them for adults.
2011 HD Road Glide 103
2012 Triumph Scrambler
TXGSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Kidicarus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I know this is an old post, but in all of my research i can only find where the states require pegs/foot boards, a seat and handholds for the passenger. Never do they actually state that the rider must use any of or be able to reach them beyond the use of a seat. They do state that the passenger must sit with 1 leg on each side and not ride side saddle, which makes sense. My child has been riding with me since he was 2 and at almost 5 he loves riding with my wife or I.
Kidicarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Texas law says:

Sec. 545.416. RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) An operator of a motorcycle shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle.
(b) An operator may not carry another person on the motorcycle, and a person who is not operating the motorcycle may not ride on the motorcycle, unless the motorcycle is:
(1) designed to carry more than one person; and
(2) equipped with footrests and handholds for use by the passenger.
(c) If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, a passenger may ride only on the permanent and regular seat, if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle behind or to the side of the operator.
(d) Except as provided by Subsection (e), an operator may not carry another person on a motorcycle unless the other person is at least five years of age. An offense under this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $100 or more than $200. It is a defense to prosecution under this subsection that the operator was operating the motorcycle in an emergency or for a law enforcement purpose.
(e) Subsection (d) does not prohibit an operator from carrying on a motorcycle a person younger than five years of age who is seated in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle.

I've been told that "equipped" with foot pegs means they need to be useable so they have to be able to reach them. Having foot pegs that cannot be reached doesn't meet the criteria above.

My son loved riding on my scooter when he was 7, now he has his permit to ride himself.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Somewhere in the family archives of photographs there's a picture of me about a year old, zipped into the front of my dad's jacket, being ridden on a tt500, in the desert.

I turned out alrite.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
Bad example on my part ( sorry NRA) It kind of like the girl whom was giving a machine pistol to shoot and killed someone . Far to much , far to soon. With bikes it comes down to body streight if you have to weave eg a tank slapper can they hold on ? Same with slamming on the brakes. As someone point out they do make straps that go around the driver that a youth can hold on to. If they have the strieght to hold on then they are good to go. Myself I think around 9 to 10 is a good age .
Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,706
I started giving my daughters rides on my street bikes when they were big enough to reach the pegs. I explained to them about how they needed to lean with the bike in turns, etc. They picked it up very quickly. I never worried about their safety, other than the fact that they were on a motorcycle in traffic, which is not a really safe thing for anyone to be doing. I tried to avoid traffic as much as possible. Both went on to become excellent dirt riders.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
DrZook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I didn't start giving my kids rides on the motorcycle until they felt they were ready--and I knew that they could hold on tight. My son's oddly enough not into it(he's more into quads), but my daughter--that's a different story. She had her concerns (You sure it's not gonna tip over Daddy?)--her previous riding experience involved Grandpa's Can-Am Spyder and putzing thru a trailer park. Once I took her to the end of the driveway and back she realized there was nothing to worry about. Now she wants to go everywhere on that bike. She told me that when she is old enough she wants a scooter--preferably a Vespa (Surrre...I'll get right on that...)
Attached Images

DrZook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
in my country we have laws (really!!) but I went by what mamma let me, and when I put my dauther on my scooter and she touch.. .OOO MAN!! i was so happy, then a year went by and I put her on the KLR and she touch, so I went that weekend for a pink helmet, no we ride on 1st or 2nd gear the full 1.5 mile from school to her mother's house... and she is a great rider, she does not move, and she becomes like a back pack, strap to my back!

I am waiting for her to get a bit stronger (like next month) when she turns 7 so we can go down town...

Cheers

Damasovi
Old 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
When is the right time? Depends on the maturity level and coordination of the kid. I was 8 when a neighbor gave us rides on his BSA. My buddy (same day) was the same age, but he fell off, got knocked unconscious and got a trip to the hospital. Good thing his older brother was the one giving rides.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 575
You won't see it here in the USA, but I have seen toddlers as passengers on bikes in Southeast Asia, Central America and elsewhere.... How old is ¨old enough¨ depends on where you are!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,101
I teach in an elementary school and have at least two students get picked up regularly on bikes. One is in 2nd grade (so 7) and her dad has a KLR650. She puts on a full-face helmet and gloves and they ride off, she also told me she rides her own dirtbike. Another picks up his son who is in 5th grade on an off-brand maxi-scooter. He wears a half-helmet and they go.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
I went to Europe in May, and while in paris, there were child seats (like we have for bicycles) on the back of scooters.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote