Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
DLC OP
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 9
Helping a neighbor with a 1963 Honda 50

Hi all,

My elderly neighbor has a 1963 Honda 50 stored at her mother's place in Rochester. Her mother recently passed away, and I'm trying to help her sell it.

The bike only has about 700 miles on it, all done in 1963, is original, and has sat in a climate controlled basement for the last 52 years. I know this is a pretty common bike, but I want to make sure she gets a good price for it, and maybe there is someone out there for whom this bike in original condition is particularly appealing. Rochester CL might not be the best way to find that person. Any ideas about where on the internet to find that person?

David
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC View Post
Rochester CL might not be the best way to find that person.
Google advanced search.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
DLC OP
4ever n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
I.e. Serious buyers keep track of what's happening using advanced search?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,120
Well I start with cleaning it up . Getting a cheap 6 volt battery and getting it running. Dravt.com will have new tires for it etc. 25 bucks a peace . say 50 bucks to change the tires if you take them off and bring them in. Once it running clist it for 1500.00 or fleabay it. If you invest 100 bucks in parts max you end up with at least another 500 bucks more. As a project it only 800 or so. with someone doing the work for free you can get her more cash. Non running you lucky to get 500 bucks or so on someone will to take a chance. Does it have the paperwork ? I hope so. worth more that way.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
DLC OP
4ever n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Well I start with cleaning it up . Getting a cheap 6 volt battery and getting it running. Dravt.com will have new tires for it etc. 25 bucks a peace . say 50 bucks to change the tires if you take them off and bring them in. Once it running clist it for 1500.00 or fleabay it. If you invest 100 bucks in parts max you end up with at least another 500 bucks more. As a project it only 800 or so. with someone doing the work for free you can get her more cash. Non running you lucky to get 500 bucks or so on someone will to take a chance. Does it have the paperwork ? I hope so. worth more that way.
In terms of getting it running, is there a good resource on how to do it?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:57 AM   #6
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC View Post
In terms of getting it running, is there a good resource on how to do it?
The best place for parts is ebay or dratv.com
1/3 way down the page here is the manual as pdf . Which I m guessing is c100 ? ( am I wrong guys ) http://www.classiccycles.org/1852/1873.html

I think I can give you the basics.
1) Take a look at gas tank and see if it ok .
2) see if there on old inline fuel fliter on it and replace it .
3) Take the spark plug out . clean it up and gap it . Or just replace it . Dump a little oil down the spark plug hole . It will smoke for a few seconds on start up. You do this so the piston as some lube till the oil start flowing
4) Change the Oil and Lube up the chain
5) Check the points and grap them
6) Take the carb off and clean it . Put it back on. It may run without cleaning it but whom knows if it 's dirtty
7) Cheak the old fuel lines , etc are good
8) Cheek that there's no mice nest hiding the air cleaner or mufflers.
9) stick a new battery in
10) turn the key on . the lights should come on. Kick start it . You may have to use a shot of quick fire auto start .

These guys are the 50cc zen masters on there forum. http://www.mopedarmy.com also these guys http://c90club.co.uk/

The yahoo forum for them ( have to have yahoo email to join up) https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...yguid=99951749

Did I miss any steps guys ? The above is just the basic stuff you do to get any ride going again if it's not a rust heap.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
shredxcam
Cam

Oddometer: 60
If it's 4 stroke don't bother with mopedarmy

I left that group for here. Bunch of hipster trolls mainly

Dratv has a ton of parts. Also treatland for non brand specific stuff like tires and junk
shredxcam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #8
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Boiling may aid in clearing carb fuel passageways.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,408
I'd be visually inspecting the fuel tank for old rancid gas or dried up fuel residue. Work from the fuel supply down.

Also gingerly attempt to see how free the engine is by lightly depressing the kickstarter and seeing if the engine rotates. if there slight bit of cyclic resistance followed by a couple 'putt' putt's it's probably OK. if it's stuck don't try to force it through, the kickstarter shafts on C-100's are spindly little things that big American legs can snap off easily

Engine turns over OK, has some compression? I'd change the old oil out first with something good for pushrod engines like Delo 100.

The old pushrod 50's come in two ignition flavors. the C100 and the C102. The C100 doesn't need a new battery to see if it will run, as it has a magneto ignition.

The C-102 with electric start and the points-condensor-coil feeds from the battery and will need a new battery to test ignition. It's an unusually longish one special to the C102, and they may be hard to find.

The carburetors for C100-102-105's are all the same. A 14 mm downdraft Kehein with a round, float bowl set off to the side of the throttle body-venturi. It has a 'tickler' button on top to 'flood' the carb. I've never needed to use this feature, as the choke , on a normally working C-100 carb is enough to start the engine.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #10
DLC OP
4ever n00b

Thanks so much guys!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...o?prop=eupdate

Classic Pushrod Honda 50's - Lets resto is a Restricted Group with 811 members.

The above is the honda 50cc group. May be of further help to you .