User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,013
Replacing Yuasa ytx12 battery

Any suggestions where too buy... looking for service and price ...

thx,
H.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,087
Online, local dealer, Walmart or similar department store.

Just the battery or someone to install?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Online, local dealer, Walmart or similar department store.

Just the battery or someone to install?
Was looking for a good online price... thx for the prompt reply
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
I have been going to JCWhitney for many years.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
Head to you local battery shops. Ask if they have any seconds or old stock. Often they do. Nothing wrong with them . You could also try the epson salt trick to get some more time out of your battery. It works. Google it . I did it with a dead battery and it come back to life. You ll only get another 6 months max out of it.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Believe it or not I have found the best deals on Amazon for motorcycle batteries. This may not always be golden but its what I have discovered and I buy a lot of batteries from time to time.

Just as an example I got 3 bikes that use the YTX14-BS battery. At the time I bought them the local dealers wanted about $100 per battery. They were willing to fill the acid and "Bake" them on the special chargers for free. I have had good luck with bikes purchased at this dealer so I know they know how to properly prep a motorcycle battery but geez $100 per battery and I need 3 of them.

I ended up finding them on Amazon for $54 each this time last year. I then spent another one time $70 on Noco Genius smart charger so I can properly do the initial charge myself. So far I have prepared 4 dry charged batteries on my own with great success and I save a fortune doing the prep myself.

One thing I can't stress enough is you must follow the instructions. You can't just dump the acid and seal the battery and install it and go. You will have a battery that will only run at 80% capacity and will die within a year.

I followed this tutorial and so far so good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpg10yp4duo
longhaul747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,087
At the dealers I have worked for has been a large multi station battery tender and we fill, sealed, and did a top off charge of a few hours.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
At the dealers I have worked for has been a large multi station battery tender and we fill, sealed, and did a top off charge of a few hours.
Yeah I have seen these types of chargers in the service bay's. One shop has a very old but very fancy one they claimed cost a couple of grand like 30 years ago and new ones are triple that price. This one has the ability to set the amperage and a timer for the capacity of the battery. So some batteries charge in 2 hours others take 2 or 3 times that long.

I would love to have one in the garage but they are cost prohibitive for the average consumer. You could probably use a conventional battery charger as long as it has a 2 amp setting and you manually time it based on capacity but if you over do it then you will screw up the battery.

I imagine some of the brand new ones on the market do it all automatically and have 10 or more banks for the high dollar units. The Noko Genius seems to get the job done but takes longer then a few hours.
longhaul747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Believe it or not I have found the best deals on Amazon for motorcycle batteries. This may not always be golden but its what I have discovered and I buy a lot of batteries from time to time.

Just as an example I got 3 bikes that use the YTX14-BS battery. At the time I bought them the local dealers wanted about $100 per battery. They were willing to fill the acid and "Bake" them on the special chargers for free. I have had good luck with bikes purchased at this dealer so I know they know how to properly prep a motorcycle battery but geez $100 per battery and I need 3 of them.

I ended up finding them on Amazon for $54 each this time last year. I then spent another one time $70 on Noco Genius smart charger so I can properly do the initial charge myself. So far I have prepared 4 dry charged batteries on my own with great success and I save a fortune doing the prep myself.

One thing I can't stress enough is you must follow the instructions. You can't just dump the acid and seal the battery and install it and go. You will have a battery that will only run at 80% capacity and will die within a year.

I followed this tutorial and so far so good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpg10yp4duo
Excellent link ... i will order my battery and do the acid install myself .. thanks for the linky .. :)