Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #136
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,360
I've been looking for a big wheel mini/pit-bike for some time, but didn't want to go Chinese. Going to call the dealer and get on the list...

Of course, my local dealer will probably have never heard of it...

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #137
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
A grooving iron can make that K761 a bit more capable in the dirt too.
What color is your KLR?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #138
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
New Zumas are made in China aren't they? Where will this one be made? Thailand I suspect.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #139
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
New Zumas are made in China aren't they? Where will this one be made? Thailand I suspect.
The Zuma is made in Taiwan
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #140
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Where will this one be made? Thailand I suspect.
Yes

Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #141
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
OK I am in. I'm gonna pick up a GROM 125 as soon as I can.

So glad I did not buy a Zuma 125.

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of years now. I was researching my options for a dual sport scooter of some type. The closest thing out there that I WAS interested in is the Zuma 125. But every time I go look at one in person it just lets me down. I have never worn a skirt and dont intend to so I really don't need the step through design of a scooter and I prefer a manual clutch.

Saw the MSX125 in other countries last year and realized it would be perfect. Fun to run errands on or just cruze around on and actually usable on a dirt road or two.

I am sooooooo glad I did not buy a Zuma 125 now.

This new Grom 125 (cool name too) has FUN written all over it. I am so glad they did not try to nanny it down with ABS and other BS like that. I also like the fact that it has disk in front and rear instead of disk/drum like most scooters.

Big thumbs up to Honda on the advertising too. Motorcycles are supposed to be fun and they made it clear that this one has fun to spare. I know from experience that 125ccs is plenty to do wheelies and stoppies and donuts. I wont do much of that but it is nice to know I could.

Also, I think Honda is spot on with their marketing and target audience. They will get a bunch of young / new riders on these and get those folks loyal to the Honda brand. The side benefit is similar to the original Ford Mustang. It was marketed to young people but older folks liked the ads and the target audience became much bigger. I am an older (50) and a more experienced rider (41 years and 20+ bikes) and this Grom is having the same effect from what I can see in just this one thread.

I also think that this Grom will be MUCH safer for new riders than the typical sport bike so many of them go out and buy. Even a small sport bike like a Ninja 250 is capable of over 100 mph - that is a lot of speed for a new rider. I just think they will be better off and actually, the rest of us on the road, will be a little safer if new riders are starting off on bikes like this instead of 250, 300, 500, and 600 sport bikes.

I look back years ago and failed to buy a YSR50 when I had the chance and I failed to buy an MB5 when I had the chance. Both fun little bikes. I wont make that same mistake again.

I have already started a list of mods for the new Grom when I get it...

That rear fender has to go. There are already smaller / cleaner options available to tuck the license plate up and the turn signals in.

Better mirrors are on the list as well as an exhaust system of some sort. Probably with a CF canister just because it will look cool.

Yeah, I'm in. I think Honda hit a home run with this one. Well obviously they did. It is selling well over seas and there is already aftermarket support for it.

Good job Honda.

Can't wait.

rkwfxd screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 07:16 AM Reason: spelling
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #142
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
this looks like a boatload of fun! Now, bring the Zoomer110 along with it and I'll do a double bike deal.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #143
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Stopped by the local Big Four dealership this a.m. to berate my bud there for not giving me a heads-up on this. They literally found out about it yesterday...and of the five coming in their initial shipment, three have been spoken for by employees...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #144
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,457
Quote:
What color is your KLR?
Worse. I'm cheaper and simpler. I ride a DR with a homefabbed $10 muffler heat-shield as my saddelbag racks. I'm looking for a good deal on a Rubbermaid wastebasket to cut/bend into a windscreen right now.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #145
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post

I look back years ago and failed to buy a YSR50 when I had the chance and I failed to buy an MB5 when I had the chance. Both fun little bikes. I wont make that same mistake again.

My thoughts exactly!!! Add to my personal list, missing out on a Kawi KD80X and Honda Cub (the offroad version), and Honda ZB50. 3 more outstandingly cool little bikes.

Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #146
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Just called my Friendly Local Honda Dealer and put down a deposit.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #147
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post

This thing won't be a freeway burner, but will absolutely kill it in the streets of the cities and rural areas.
a big yes to this

I think in the next year or two, there will be one in my garage
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #148
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Buy this and turn it into something you use off road. Honda's official promo vid makes it look like a mini urban assault weapon to stunt on. And maybe it can be? But it's still a small bike and a rider can stunt on big bikes.

All that marketing aside, this is a dumb little motorcycle imo. A good scooter is much better a small bike in many ways. I have no idea why this would appeal to a scooter rider or a motorcycle rider, or like many of us, those who ride and have ridden both.

This bike has zero appeal for me as a street bike of any sort. As said, a little off road bike. Otherwise

Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #149
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Where's the kid in you?
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #150
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
Stopped by the local Big Four dealership this a.m. to berate my bud there for not giving me a heads-up on this. They literally found out about it yesterday...and of the five coming in their initial shipment, three have been spoken for by employees...
Not surprised. I called this morning and it turns out I was the first one to call and they knew nothing about it. My buddy even had trouble finding it on the net while I was on the phone. No matter. He assured me since I was the first to call, when they only get three in and six guys want one, I will be at the top of the list.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote