Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #181
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindz145 View Post
Yeah, it looks like Honda does call out "air cooled" :
http://www.gromforum.com/index.php?topic=2.0

I imagine the water cooling would add alot of heft.
Yes, and in the MSX manual it mentions nothing of coolant fluid changing maintenance etc so Im sure it has no sort of radiator.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #182
AC909
Great Job!

I have read that the Grom shares the same motor as the Honda Wave which has kick and electiric start. I wonder what type of work it would take to add a kicker? I see it has the spot for the lever it is just plugged over.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #183
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I have read that the Grom shares the same motor as the Honda Wave which has kick and electiric start. I wonder what type of work it would take to add a kicker? I see it has the spot for the lever it is just plugged over.
I imagine it wouldn't be that hard, maybe a few internal gears, the kicker itself and the clearance for it to swing.

I do miss kicking my bikes to life sometimes. But electric has sure been nice.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #184
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I imagine it wouldn't be that hard, maybe a few internal gears, the kicker itself and the clearance for it to swing.

I do miss kicking my bikes to life sometimes. But electric has sure been nice.
I had several automatic CT70's, and I used to bump start them all the time. If for some reason the e start does not work, or you just feel macho, this baby with a clutch should be a piece of cake to bump.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #185
Dezzie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Where did you fellas find the owners manual, please share!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #186
Dezzie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
1st week of ownership!

Just thought I would post an update of the guys first week with his msx125 and his finding, enjoy!

Mike Carpenter

Tomorrow will be 1 week and 300 miles of MSX ownership for me...
...And things are looking up
I was quite disappointed when I eventually got home last Friday with my new bike. A combination of hard seat, new engine and extreme weather didn't live up to the leisurely cruise through the rolling Welsh hills in the sunshine that I had been dreaming of since mid-February when I paid my deposit!
So here we are a week and nearly 300 miles later. The engine is loosening up nicely - after 100 miles it became a lot more responsive and smooth and I'm sure that will only improve. The seat seems to be softening up, although I haven't done any... epic tours on it as yet. I love the exhaust note as I'm cruising along - they got that spot on I would say. The seating position is very upright, but I would say my legs are a bit too long for the bike - my knees don't fit in the knee pads unless I push myself back in the seat. I did move the bars forward when I got the bike so that is maybe why but before I moved them they hit my knees and reduced the turning circle so I didn't have much choice. I removed the pillion strap because it was where I sat and was uncomfortable, but I still have to consciously push myself back so my knees are ok - I think I need to play about with the bars a bit. As far as gearing is concerned - it is spot on for me with my 16 stone and the steep hills here. Good acceleration for around town but maybe a bit low for touring. Other folks in the flatlands might decide to drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. Mine is running 6000rpm at 50mph to give you an idea. 7000rpm is 60mph. Fuel economy has improved on the second fill up - 118mpg vs 100mpg for the first tank. The handling is very smooth and predictable - very much like a bigger bike, which I like. By comparison the Gorilla often left me feeling like I'd done a lap of the TT when I got in to work in the morning. This is just smooth and civilised. I'm very happy so far!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #187
AC909
Great Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie View Post
Where did you fellas find the owners manual, please share!
http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php?id=196 this should do it
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #188
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie View Post
Just thought I would post an update of the guys first week with his msx125 and his finding, enjoy!

Mike Carpenter

Tomorrow will be 1 week and 300 miles of MSX ownership for me...
...And things are looking up
I was quite disappointed when I eventually got home last Friday with my new bike. A combination of hard seat, new engine and extreme weather didn't live up to the leisurely cruise through the rolling Welsh hills in the sunshine that I had been dreaming of since mid-February when I paid my deposit!
So here we are a week and nearly 300 miles later. The engine is loosening up nicely - after 100 miles it became a lot more responsive and smooth and I'm sure that will only improve. The seat seems to be softening up, although I haven't done any... epic tours on it as yet. I love the exhaust note as I'm cruising along - they got that spot on I would say. The seating position is very upright, but I would say my legs are a bit too long for the bike - my knees don't fit in the knee pads unless I push myself back in the seat. I did move the bars forward when I got the bike so that is maybe why but before I moved them they hit my knees and reduced the turning circle so I didn't have much choice. I removed the pillion strap because it was where I sat and was uncomfortable, but I still have to consciously push myself back so my knees are ok - I think I need to play about with the bars a bit. As far as gearing is concerned - it is spot on for me with my 16 stone and the steep hills here. Good acceleration for around town but maybe a bit low for touring. Other folks in the flatlands might decide to drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. Mine is running 6000rpm at 50mph to give you an idea. 7000rpm is 60mph. Fuel economy has improved on the second fill up - 118mpg vs 100mpg for the first tank. The handling is very smooth and predictable - very much like a bigger bike, which I like. By comparison the Gorilla often left me feeling like I'd done a lap of the TT when I got in to work in the morning. This is just smooth and civilised. I'm very happy so far!

No pics = never happened
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #189
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
No pics = never happened
Click on the underlined Mike Carpenter name... hint - underlining usually means a link.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #190
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,459
I couldn't decide between red or black so I told my dealer that I'd take one of each.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #191
saltspray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Once I have a place to store it, I'm likely buying one.
saltspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #192
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
I couldn't decide between red or black so I told my dealer that I'd take one of each.
I put down a deposit on a red one... can debadge it and tell people it's a ducati
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #193
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,311
Holy eff, my 4' 11" SO and I will be fighting over this one. Personally, I wish they made it a wee bit shorter, for her (25" inseam's) sake, but she'll get over that... Easy decision...kicking out one of the scooters...bringing in the hooligan monkey bike!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #194
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I put down a deposit on a red one... can debadge it and tell people it's a ducati
I actually laughed. Thats what it reminded me of when I first looked at pics.

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #195
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote