Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #766
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That's it? That's all it does? Sure not what it shows in Honda's videos. I can wheelie my XT225 for half a mile until I get tired of standing on the pegs and have to put it down.
it's the rider not the bike, hell i can only wheelie a z50 for half a block while others will wheelie the same bike until they get bored or run out of gas\road. it's just harder for some of us to get to or keep at the balance point. the riders in hondas video were pro stunt riders who wheelie for a living, your average joe rider can't even hold the balance point for a a quarter mile

i'm not sure if i said it yet but i think the grom will wind up like the ruckus(was a few years back), dealers price gouging and limited availability... then again this plant may actually be able to keep up with demand

minimotos95 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 02:21 AM Reason: details
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #767
easternshorebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
I think this might be a good bike for my wife, who is 5'-3" and weighs max 110# (usually less). She has an XT-225 now but had already decided she was not going to ride trails at all any more, and she hardly goes on dirt roads either. She doesn't go on long trips or ride on the interstate. But what is the top speed? There are some roads here that we take to connect to places we really want to ride, where it would be helpful to be able to go 55 for short distances (like one mile) to keep up with traffic and not have cars riding your tail.
Speeds of 55 MPH, especially for a smaller and lighter rider, should be no problem. I hit about 55 now sitting completely upright. With tucking and patience, it no doubt goes a little faster. I would think the Grom is worth checking out for her if she likes the styling. It looks to be a little lower and lighter than what she rides now.

easternshorebiker screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 03:52 AM
easternshorebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #768
easternshorebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Well well. I pretty much agree with all of that. I ride small scooters, but wouldn't be caught dead on that thing. I remember many years ago, when myself and my kids were out dirt riding, and I was riding my youngest daughters XR100. I got laughed at big time. I have to admit a 6' 230 pounder on an XR100 must have looked pretty silly. The laughing stopped when I got on my XR400. I get laughed at once n a while on my 50cc pedal moped, but it was designed for an adult, and makes no pretense of performance. The Grom just looks like a toy designed for a small child. Even a full sized 16 year old will look a little silly on it. And I don't think Ruckus riders/builders will be switching to it either. They seem pretty committed to the Ruckus. That's probably the main reason Honda still sells it. The Grom will make a splash, then sink to the bottom. It is NOT a comparable bike to a CT90 or CT110, both of which I really like
I don't get the hate. Funny thing is, I agree with many of the things you write. The TU you mentioned in another post does seem to be a great bike, and I would love to check out the CT110 if it were available stateside. But this preoccupation with what others think of your choice of ride seems so silly to me. Check out cycle-ergo sometime if you haven't already. It gives a pretty good sense of how one looks on any given motorcycle. For me, I have to step up to a pretty large displacement motorcycle or a dual sport to change tangible variables like seat height and knee angle. Otherwise, most of the bikes I like are pretty small. Take the TU you mention and the CT110 along with the Grom. We aren't talking about very big differences here in terms of ergonomics, at least for riding solo.

As to looks, of course they are subjective. I am sure I look silly to some on my Grom, just as I look silly on my Ruckus. I am sure I could do something to look silly on just about any bike, motorized or not. Who cares? Ride what you like!
easternshorebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #769
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
damn dudes if image were ANYTHING we'd not ride scooters. i have no doubt people laugh AT me sometimes but that is part of it

and kids wave. same thing will happen with this bike
Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #770
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
2 Fuelly reports so far. 1 is averaging 82.3 and the other is 97.3 both with 3 fuel ups. This is not half bad especially since we don't know how hard these bikes are being ridden. As more get posted I bet we will see higher averages.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/grom

If I had a Grom my main purpose would be to see how high I can get my fuel MPG averages up? So while everyone is out there ripping on there's I would be ridding mine like an old lady. I am kind of obsessive compulsive like that!
I've only filled up twice and I am right at 100 mpg +/-. I am heavy (fat) and the majority of my riding has been in local canyons. I have pushed the Grom hard from the start. It runs great and gets great gas mileage and it is a TON of fun to ride.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #771
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 432
I'm wanting a grom more and more. I'm hoping a dealer local to me has one, even a sold one that I can at least go check out in person.

Any in CT buying a Grom?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #772
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternshorebiker View Post
I don't get the hate. Funny thing is, I agree with many of the things you write. The TU you mentioned in another post does seem to be a great bike, and I would love to check out the CT110 if it were available stateside. But this preoccupation with what others think of your choice of ride seems so silly to me. Check out cycle-ergo sometime if you haven't already. It gives a pretty good sense of how one looks on any given motorcycle. For me, I have to step up to a pretty large displacement motorcycle or a dual sport to change tangible variables like seat height and knee angle. Otherwise, most of the bikes I like are pretty small. Take the TU you mention and the CT110 along with the Grom. We aren't talking about very big differences here in terms of ergonomics, at least for riding solo.

As to looks, of course they are subjective. I am sure I look silly to some on my Grom, just as I look silly on my Ruckus. I am sure I could do something to look silly on just about any bike, motorized or not. Who cares? Ride what you like!
For what it's worth, the CT110 was sold in the US from 1980-86. Used ones pop up semi regularly in my area, 3 currently under $1000, 2 of them in running order.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #773
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,709
It's not hate. It's just a lack of understanding. You can get a 200-250cc dual sport or supermoto that will do what Honda shows this thing doing, and they are sized for full sized adults. It's also not about the displacement, I have two 125cc scooters, and fit on them fine, in fact I have plenty of room to stretch out. It's not the wheels, my scooters have 10" and 12" wheels. This reminds me of the '90s Honda Cub and the Yamaha Y-Zinger. There are small displacement motorcycles, and small displacement scooters, both of which I like. I even have a 50cc pedal moped, and would like to have an old school early '70s Briggs powered mini bike. But this looks like something out of a cartoon to me, at least for a full sized rider. Looks like it might be great for teaching a child how to ride, but even for that I would prefer a small dirt bike, so they can learn away from traffic. To me a Ruckus looks a lot like a toy than this does. I would buy a 125cc Ruckus that looks just like the 50cc model. Even the Sachs Madass 125 looks less toyish than this (to me) It's a 125cc manual shift bike, bit for some reason doesn't sell well.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #774
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Grom is cute, Madass is glorified moped sans pedals

waiting for first "Grom got me laid" post

Miley Cyrus should dress up like a giant teddy bear and ride around stage on one
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #775
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,618

I guess this should answer the question of whether you can pick up chicks with one.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 08:49 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #776
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
waiting for first "Grom got me laid" post
Well my wife bought me a Grom......She got laid...

FYI, I'm way too old to worry about what people think
I didn't get a Grom to impress anyone, I got it to have fun.

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #777
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
It's not hate. It's just a lack of understanding. You can get a 200-250cc dual sport or supermoto that will do what Honda shows this thing doing, and they are sized for full sized adults. It's also not about the displacement, I have two 125cc scooters, and fit on them fine, in fact I have plenty of room to stretch out. It's not the wheels, my scooters have 10" and 12" wheels.
I have a klx250sf (supermoto turned more ds with some 17" knobbies) and sometimes for a short trip I don't feel like pulling it out of the garage and heading out on it, unless I'm actually riding 25+ miles.

Just doesn't feel right hopping on it to ride it a total of 2-3 miles for a quick stop around town.

I've considered a 50cc scooter but very close are a lot of roads where the average speed can be 50-60mph. Pushing it for a 50cc unless modded. A 125cc from a major manufacturer is better suited to the speeds but the Zuma 125 is more than the cost of a Grom.

I know I'm loosing some convenience that the scooter has extra storage but I like the manual shift of the Grom over a CVT of a scooter.

The other reason I like it is it's like a pit bike you can ride on the street without legal issues. If I go camping or off to the race track I'd be inclined to load up the grom, ride around the pits, but then if I need to run to the store quick I can just zip out on that instead of my van.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #778
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,258
I don't know why some of you guys still feel like you need to justify to others why you want a Grom or why you think a Grom is fun. Stop reading comments from people who's only goal is to criticize. You're just making their day by acknowledging them.
Let's talk about the Grom. And those of you who already have one, please lost more pics.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #779
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I don't know why some of you guys still feel like you need to justify to others why you want a Grom or why you think a Grom is fun. Stop reading comments from people who's only goal is to criticize. You're just making their day by acknowledging them.
Let's talk about the Grom. And those of you who already have one, please lost more pics.
I don't feel that need.I ride what I want and laugh at them,because I'm out riding, while they're busy being jackasses.Riding anything is way more fun than bashing others choices and making fun of them.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #780
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 160
Yeah baby

I'm measuring my Honda Element tomorrow to see if a Grom fits in the back.