Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #946
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I installed a round headlight on mine. I am the first to do this, so I am special.

I'm diggin it.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #947
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,256
What is the hell is up with large pickup trucks? I had not one, but two jackasses today who felt like they had to be in my lane (I guess because their truck is so big they just need more space) and then show me how powerful their truck is compared to my little Grom. But come on! Their penises can't be that small...
Old 09-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #948
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
^ woah that round headlight is awesome. makes grom look like a mini streetfighter

and gore-tx idk if this is your first truly small bike or you've not rode a scooter in earnest but the BIG trucks do this, as they are today's "hot rods" for some. they are tall on the road, looking down on all, FAST, and some are driven by bullies

i get it sometimes on my scooters. nothing gives me more pleasure then leaving a light and getting up to 40mph quickly, some idiot in a truck beside me TRYING to get past me in a 35mph zone. my speed keeps rising, as does the trucks and its big, rumbling engine. pretty soon truck is doing 55mph in a 35mph zone just to cut me off and save face. of course i lane split the first car it comes upon to slow it, putting its on road bullying to an end in my case

oh, the satisfaction

watch out for those asshats. you will find most are ok. but some in the "hemi" trucks and retro Challenger type cars are deluded about what a car is and what it can do when it comes to out running a bike. even a small one

DudeClone screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 07:29 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #949
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Legend has it around my Local Dealer that a Dealer in St Charles MO. that only got 1 Grom in got $5800.00 for an OTD price. The salesman from my local dealer says he ran into a Grom rider at a gas station and it was him, confirmed the story. He said the guy knew he was getting screwed but didn't care - his justification was the Fall season is the best time of year to ride and he wanted to ride Fall on a Grom.

Every time I go into my Local dealer now they enjoy needling me and reminding me how lucky I was for what I paid from them for a Grom.

Hahah - I enjoy the needling... ...better that than $5800!!!!!

Is that the record or what?
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #950
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #951
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
^ woah that round headlight is awesome. makes grom look like a mini streetfighter

and gore-tx idk if this is your first truly small bike or you've not rode a scooter in earnest but the BIG trucks do this, as they are today's "hot rods" for some. they are tall on the road, looking down on all, FAST, and some are driven by bullies

i get it sometimes on my scooters. nothing gives me more pleasure then leaving a light and getting up to 40mph quickly, some idiot in a truck beside me TRYING to get past me in a 35mph zone. my speed keeps rising, as does the trucks and its big, rumbling engine. pretty soon truck is doing 55mph in a 35mph zone just to cut me off and save face. of course i lane split the first car it comes upon to slow it, putting its on road bullying to an end in my case

oh, the satisfaction

watch out for those asshats. you will find most are ok. but some in the "hemi" trucks and retro Challenger type cars are deluded about what a car is and what it can do when it comes to out running a bike. even a small one
I've ridden some smaller bikes and a few scooters (Majesty/ Tmax) but I've never owned anything like the Grom. It can't get away from traffic like a motorcycle does. So yes, I've had the occasion car/ truck wanting to race me but this felt somewhat different.

You said they're bullies and I have to say it fits perfectly. The first guy was literally in my lane! I was thinking, WTF is wrong with you? The other one ended doing what you also talked about, which is going well over the speed limit because he has to haul ass to make sure he gets ahead of me right before he makes a turn.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking it's just the beginning and I'd better get used to drag racing with trucks.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #952
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
You said they're bullies and I have to say it fits perfectly. The first guy was literally in my lane! I was thinking, WTF is wrong with you? The other one ended doing what you also talked about, which is going well over the speed limit because he has to haul ass to make sure he gets ahead of me right before he makes a turn.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking it's just the beginning and I'd better get used to drag racing with trucks.
I've had the same experience when I ride around town on my KLX250S. The last time I was out on it, first there was a typical dweeb in a Porsche 911, and then one in a lifted Ford. BUT... neither of them realize just how fast a little KLX with a 351 kit is, and in town, they can't even begin to do anything about it. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #953
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
What is the hell is up with large pickup trucks? I had not one, but two jackasses today who felt like they had to be in my lane (I guess because their truck is so big they just need more space) and then show me how powerful their truck is compared to my little Grom. But come on! Their penises can't be that small...
I've found that when I'm on the way to the range and wearing this, nobody invades my personal space.

Or, you could go with this set up on your handlebars.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #954
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
My opinion might be unpopular but it is just my opinion.

When I ride my scooter or the Grom in traffic I treat it like Iím on someone elseís turf. The cars and trucks own the road, always have. I give them the right of way and respect. I know they see me as some idiot riding in the streets on a mini bike.

You see how people treat motorcyclists on the road? The soccer momís with a million things on their mind in their big SUVís screeching at their kids in the back seat to shut up because their trying to talk on the phoneÖ wonít see you. And if they do see you, they donít respect you. As they roll slowly beside you and start to nudge into your lane - they know darn well youíre going to move over and get out of their way.

Itís like the rules of the water, when two boats are headed towards each other from opposite directions on a big lake, the bigger boat has the right of way and the little one moves off. I got over it a long time ago. I donít get mad Ė I get out of the way. I mumble IDIOT under my helmet and thatís the end of it. Because people are idiots and I mean that universally and equallyÖ all people, IDIOTS. Once you accept that, nothing drivers do will offend you.

I might legally have just as much right to my lane as any other vehicle on the road but when all is said and done after the incident, and I was proven not at fault, what good does that do me lying in a hospital bed with all my limbs broken? You want this lane? Go right ahead. You in a big hurry? Be my guestÖ Iím riding my toy and Iíve got all the time in the world to sit back and just enjoy what Iím doing. Iíll just slalom through this little ever changing Gymkhana Course of wooly worms crossing over the road. So you just go right ahead buddy, Iím just a guest riding on your streets, and I know it. There is no point in getting mad at idiot drivers and trying to one up them. They will always win. Big beats small everytime.

You have to ride defensively and yes, sometimes aggressively. But there is a line I donít like to cross. A Grom or scooter has a big advantage in that they are small, maneuverable, agile vehicles that allow you to filter through traffic in a most satisfying way. But at some point I always remind myself not to make maneuvers that the cars around me wonít or canít expect. Eye contact, blinkers, a friendly howdoyado wave, and as long as Iím not going to be in anyoneís way, I go like the wind.

Some people will put a tennis ball on their antenna so they can see their car easier in a parking lot. I wear that ball around my head in traffic, especially when Iím riding the Grom, a full face ARAI helmet, a bright, HI-VISIBILITY, dorky helmet. It helps make people notice me in almost any kind of condition.

For the most part when I'm on the Grom I ride no where near traffic but the PCX150 is another story - pretty much in traffic all the time.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #955
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 663
yeah, i keep my idealism to myself when commuting, and focus on a) getting where i need to be safely; and b) enjoying what i can of the ride. if that means that some priapic ass in an suv pushes me around a bit, i just try to deal calmly, let 'em have their way, and move on. i value riding another day more than anything else on the road, and principles be damned.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #956
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
Legend has it around my Local Dealer that a Dealer in St Charles MO. that only got 1 Grom in got $5800.00 for an OTD price. The salesman from my local dealer says he ran into a Grom rider at a gas station and it was him, confirmed the story. He said the guy knew he was getting screwed but didn't care - his justification was the Fall season is the best time of year to ride and he wanted to ride Fall on a Grom.

Every time I go into my Local dealer now they enjoy needling me and reminding me how lucky I was for what I paid from them for a Grom.

Hahah - I enjoy the needling... ...better that than $5800!!!!!

Is that the record or what?
Swell, now we're going for a record.

And, regarding big trucks: I have a big truck. I haul heavy loads, and haven't figured out a way to do that with my PCX. I don't cut off people, whether they are on bikes or in cars. 20 years ago, an idiot in a pickup truck left turned in front of us... I was on an H-D, with my lovely wife on the back. She was relatively unscathed, me... not so much.

Dav101 has the right attitude. I am a boat captain. In any incident/accident on the water, the Coast Guard is going to assign a percentage of blame to each boat driver. I don't want any part of that. I generally go with the premise of: Rule of Displacement... aka: BIG boat eats little boat. Or: who has the most to lose? When I am on two wheels, I have the most to lose in any vehicle altercation. Been there, done that, and I have long outgrown the Physical Therapy Patient t-shirt.

You may be in the right, the dipshit in 4 wheels (or more) may be completely wrong... but, YOU will pay the price if you mix it up in a paint swapping incident.

Gore-TX, my friend, here's something I have learned over many years of riding with my wife: people notice TWO bikes WAY more than they notice one. Go riding with the cute wife of yours, and you will notice the idiot incidents decrease. Notice I said, "decrease," and not "go away." Too many idiots, and they reproduce faster than Darwin takes 'em out. So, you have to take extra care to make sure they don't take YOU out.

I know you have riding experience. Little bikes don't get the notice that big burly guys on big burly bikes get. Perception of the typical idiot is also such that small bikes appear further away. So, even if they aren't TRYING to run you down, their little-bitty brains can't process the perspective. I think it is less about their little peni and more about their teensy bit of malformed gray matter. You, being much smarter than they, need to take a page from Dav101's book, and fart 'em off... they're not worth the rise in blood pressure, even though we all know the world would be a better place without 'em.

Until I am unanimously elected Emperor of the World, and able to eliminate the idiots with a wave of my hand, those of us who ride on two will have to deal with the idiots in the way that keeps us upright and functioning.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

PS If the above doesn't work for you, I have been on this earth a lot longer than many here... and I know many ways to wreak havoc... we can talk.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #957
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post

Gore-TX, my friend, here's something I have learned over many years of riding with my wife: people notice TWO bikes WAY more than they notice one. Go riding with the cute wife of yours, and you will notice the idiot incidents decrease. Notice I said, "decrease," and not "go away." Too many idiots, and they reproduce faster than Darwin takes 'em out. So, you have to take extra care to make sure they don't take YOU out.

I know you have riding experience. Little bikes don't get the notice that big burly guys on big burly bikes get. Perception of the typical idiot is also such that small bikes appear further away. So, even if they aren't TRYING to run you down, their little-bitty brains can't process the perspective. I think it is less about their little peni and more about their teensy bit of malformed gray matter. You, being much smarter than they, need to take a page from Dav101's book, and fart 'em off... they're not worth the rise in blood pressure, even though we all know the world would be a better place without 'em.

Until I am unanimously elected Emperor of the World, and able to eliminate the idiots with a wave of my hand, those of us who ride on two will have to deal with the idiots in the way that keeps us upright and functioning.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

PS If the above doesn't work for you, I have been on this earth a lot longer than many here... and I know many ways to wreak havoc... we can talk.
Funny thing is, the wife was with me! She was wearing her cute short shorts too!
Anyway, it's not so much about paying attention to traffic and sharing the road as much as it is having to deal with someone who deliberately will put you at risk because he's got to show off (again, against 9 HP).
I don't know. May be they need to go race each other?
I'm 41 and I've been riding since I was 14. I've ridden everything from a CB400 to a Gold Wing and then some. The wife and I even took a trip to France and Spain and covered 1,200 miles on a BMW R1200GS this past Summer. I know there are better, more experienced riders here but I only bring up my age and riding experience to make you guys understand this was not a traffic issue as much as it was a "jerk" issue.
Oh, and I used to have a "big" truck too but my penis started to shrink so I got rid of it. Now I'm huge.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #958
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,815
Quote:
I've ridden some smaller bikes and a few scooters (Majesty/ Tmax) but I've never owned anything like the Grom. It can't get away from traffic like a motorcycle does. So yes, I've had the occasion car/ truck wanting to race me but this felt somewhat different.

I foresee a big-bore kit in your future, and likely a GoPro as well.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #959
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 873
Gore-TX, I sure didn't mean to imply that you are not an experienced rider. In the one photo of you I've seen, I can tell that I am a year or two or 20 older than you. Yes, you're right: I don't look it.

Texas drivers can be VERY aggressive. Haven driven all over this country (and I know every state thinks they have the worst drivers), I haven't seen anyplace but Texas where many of the drivers (and, especially so in the bigger cities) seem to be a cross between Tijuana Taxi and NASCAR!!

While I would likely try to get alongside you, just to get a look at your wife in her short shorts, I have learned to ease off around the crazies. Oh, I'd like to pull them aside and beat some sense into them, but it would be like teaching a pig to sing. There is a reason we prefer to HAUL our bikes out of Texas to go riding elsewhere.

Enjoy the Grom, but be careful around the idiots. We like having you around here. Oh, and photos of your cute wife.

I still like my truck, and it's the only way to haul a heavy boat or a 5th wheel around. I just checked, and my manhood seems to be fine... so, apparently, it isn't a universal thing.

When my dear ol' Mother was alive, she always said, "Drive safe!" I told her that I was always inclined to do the opposite of what I am told, and that she should say, "Drive real fast and take lots of chances!"

She didn't think that was particularly funny. Of course, that is the same woman who told me I couldn't live in her house if I brought home a motorcycle when I was 14.

Hope you get some idiot-free time with the Grom.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #960
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

i like this vid