Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #991
Raveydaveygravy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Laugh Bored? Man, what? No F in Way? Really? I'm the total opposite.

Hi all,

UK rider here, test rode a "GROM" (Called an MSX125 in the UK) yesterday.

Thought I'd jot down some thoughts fyi.

I'm a sportsbike rider and looking for a commuter/fun bike to share with my tiny 5' wife, she is still a newbie learner so we wanted a bike she could actually manage.

Originally we were looking at scooters around the same price point 2.5-3k UKP/, there were some nice scoots and some not so nice scoots around that price but the lack of manual gears on those will hamper her long term M/C riding options.

Took a trip to Honda dealership and got her to sit on the demo bike, she got both feet flat on the floor and the proportions of the bike looked just spot on. She was delighted so I asked if I could take it for a spin.

No problem says the guy, here's the key go enjoy yourself. hmmm didn't need asking twice.....

Well what should I say?

First impressions - This is a VERY well built machine, fit and finish is amazing for the 2600 UKP/ price. The panel fit is spot on, paint, bright and deep, the wiring is super tidy, the digi dash is very nice, levers, buttons and pegs all fall naturally to hand. (or foot...)

Sizing - I'm 6' and 95kg so I was worried it would just be too small, no worries, it's fine. To get my knees into the tank cutouts required no more than to sit a bit further forward and angle my knees inwards a little. When I tried to ride in the "natural" position my knees touched the tank at the point above the cutouts where the tank begins to drop inwards and there is a definite "line" that kinda dug in a bit so putting my knees into the cutouts was actually more comfy. This riding position makes it feel like you are riding the front wheel! its an amazing, plugged in feeling to be right out over the front of the bike whilst still sat bolt upright.

Engine/Power - This thing is an air cooled, fuel injected single cylinder and has plenty of low down punch, the low overall power makes you want to twist the throttle hard, and when you do that it just digs in and shoves off up the road. I got 65 on the clocks with no bother, which is better than most scoots in this price range, i.e the PCX which is limited to 62mph here in the uk. I must admit I was razzing about quite hard and slammed into the rather brutal rev limiter at 45mph in 3rd which confused me for a second or two till I realized what was going on!

Brakes/suspension - The MSX is very light, 101.5 kg claimed, it felt firm and planted and with twin discs stopped quickly with good feel from the front lever and fair to good feel feel from the rear.

Sound - The standard exhaust actually gives the little Honda a fairly gruff and pleasing sound, certainly deeper and more pleasing than the usual sewing machine soundtrack associated with small capacity bikes.

Overall impressions - I have never ridden a bike that has put such a big grin on my face in such a short time, perhaps the closest was my old SV650 Curvy Naked MY2000 but the MSX just felt even less threatening and more fun than the SV, even though it has about 1/7th of the SV's Power! I imagine this will make an ideal fun commuter, urban hoon tool and will also be great around our local national park, The New Forest, which has a blanket 40mph limit due to unfenced roads and free roaming livestock, the kind of roads where 40 is legal and 60 feels naughty but safeish on lumpy, swoopy, two lane roads and a bit scary when the roads narrow and the trees block the view ahead.

Decision - Absolute 100% no brainer this is without doubt the easiest bike to ride I have ever encountered, it was hilarious fun, got loads of quizical looks and smiles and should be fairly economical to run and maintain. There is a large and burgeoning after market parts scene for these bikes and a two year warranty with, in the UK at least, free breakdown cover with the UK's largest provider, The Automobile Association (The AA). I was so impressed I bought the white demo bike there and then for the missus and ordered a Honda Red one for myself!!!!! Future classic, commuter, user, stunter, talking point and grin inducer all rolled into one and with some DS tyres, a brave mans ADV. tourer, whats not to like?

GET OUT AND TEST ONE ASAP,

You will be grinning and laughing and deciding which colour you want before you've got two miles up the road!

Ok so it wont like carrying a pillion but can legally do so and has proper pegs and a strap, although the handbook states absolute maximum load as 154kg and maximum luggage load as just 3kg. Honda have swapped the locations of the horn and indicators on the left hand switch gear, the horn is a large grey button that kind of overwhelms the left hand switchgear block and I did find myself beeping the first few times I tried to indicate but you quickly get use to this.

Overall a really very good bike and despite the tiny proportions perfectly manageable for a "FULL SIZED" bloke like me but maybe not for an "OVERSIZED" bloke though and very very good for "LITTLE PEOPLE"

Once again test one a see for yourself how much fun you can have, this is no monkey bike, this is just a full on motorbike that shrunk to 3/4 size in the wash. I think Honda have nailed it with this one and will sell shed loads of them. For now at least, the biggest problem would appear to be that demand is outstripping supply and some other dealers seem to have put the price up to 2699 UKP/ which is a bit of a cheek.

Picking hers up next week and mine the week after, so will keep you all posted.

All this is IMHO of course but bear in mind the following, I have NEVER bought brand new before, yet in the 12 years I've had a full licence I've gone through 15 bikes, mostly last gen. sportsbikes, but never the full on superbikes, I'm just not fast or egocentric enough to need that much power, I've settled in on my ZX6R J1 and will keep that for quite some time also, so bear in mind the MSX will not be my only bike, but will probably be my main bike, the 6r will remain, clean, low mileage and brought out for fast touring, occasional blats and trackdays only.

I know brand new vehicles are a mugs game, but I have no intention of ever needing to sell these little bikes on, so the depreciation factor will remain meaningless to me but may be different for you.

Anyway enough from me just thought my info may help someone decide to at least try for themselves before jumping on the "It's just a toy" bandwagon. Try it, you might just like it.........

ATB

RDG aka Dave
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #992
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Thumb Great write up!

Thanks for the excellent informative and humorous writing Dave!

I just had to read it to my 5' tall wife.

I also only buy used but the Grom has me actually considering making an exception in this case.

You make an excellent point about depreciation too.
I wouldn't be selling mine any time soon so the depreciation from new really wouldn't matter.

I have decided that it just doesn't make sense to sell the bikes I have only to regret it before long.
Which is why I have 7 bikes currently. Each one has its own place...
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #993
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 441
Ah shit, I bought one. Had an unexpected day off today and went for a ride. I just intended to look at it, then I bought it.

dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #994
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
Ah shit, I bought one. Had an unexpected day off today and went for a ride. I just intended to look at it, then I bought it.
Congratulations! Looks really good in black.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #995
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 186
i finally got to sit on one today and it was quite weird, it felt like a mini but it wasn't small and had a wide enough seat. maybe a "playbike" feel. some taller maybe narrower bars and a little more squish in the seat and maybe move the pegs a few inches forward then i think the ergos would be perfect(for me).

i know a dealer here is western CO that has a black one for $3000+$125 freight plus tax and doc fees. if anybody in the area is looking
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #996
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Grom on the dragon

Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #997
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Grom on the dragon

did he hit the red bike? look at where the grom pilot is looking, no wonder he crashed....
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #998
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rodney View Post
did he hit the red bike? look at where the grom pilot is looking, no wonder he crashed....
No.He lowsided and slide off the mountain running about 45-50mph.He is one lucky FF.

Here's the vid of the crash.
http://youtu.be/LufPzZHs-LY
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #999
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732

Had a chance to sit on one on Tuesday. This thing is cool!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #1000
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post

Had a chance to sit on one on Tuesday. This thing is cool!!!
Perfect fit.I'll give you $3999 for your bike.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #1001
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

The wife and I are getting ready for a scooter rally this weekend in Austin. There should be at least 200 scooters. Who knows how many Groms will show up?
We are riding with another couple. They each are riding a Honda Ruckus. So it's going to be 1 Grom, 1 PCX 150 and 2 ruckus. Should be fun. Austin is about 100 miles from where we are. We are leaving tomorrow evening and coming back on Sunday afternoon. I'll try and post some pics.
My Grom will need its 600 mile check up after that. I currently sit at 320 miles.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #1002
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
The wife and I are getting ready for a scooter rally this weekend in Austin. There should be at least 200 scooters. Who knows how many Groms will show up?
We are riding with another couple. They each are riding a Honda Ruckus. So it's going to be 1 Grom, 1 PCX 150 and 2 ruckus. Should be fun. Austin is about 100 miles from where we are. We are leaving tomorrow evening and coming back on Sunday afternoon. I'll try and post some pics.
My Grom will need its 600 mile check up after that. I currently sit at 320 miles.
Have fun at the rally, and post some photos when you can. Also, isn't the plural of Ruckus Rucki? (pronounced: ruck-eye)
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #1003
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 441
First tank 81 mpg. Already from seeing where the gas gauge is after 56 miles into the second tank I already know it's going to be better.
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #1004
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Have fun at the rally, and post some photos when you can. Also, isn't the plural of Ruckus Rucki? (pronounced: ruck-eye)
May be ruckuses?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #1005
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
First tank 81 mpg. Already from seeing where the gas gauge is after 56 miles into the second tank I already know it's going to be better.
Really? Just 81 mpg? Some guys on the Grom forum also report pretty low mpg for their Grom. I gassed up this week and got another 115mpg. I accelerate pretty hard but I don't try to push for a top speed too often. I usually ride between 45 to 50 mph. I am quite surprised by the low mpg.