User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #1231
FootDoc
Gas it

Oddometer: 104
Got to see one again at Daytona.
Man, I want this thing so bad. Was tempted to buy it and take it home as carry on baggage.

FootDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #1232
laidout
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Got mine several months ago

I bought my Grom back in June (I think). I have close to 1,000 miles on it (it was in storage to avoid the snow/ice and SALT), and I have to say, the thing is a blast. I have had more than a dozen motorcycles/scooters- most of them sport bikes, but this one is the most fun to ride. It is NOT always the most practical (I don't always have time for surface streets/secondary roads), but when I can take it, it is absolutely the most fun I have had. I am 5' 7" 212 lbs and even with me on board, this thing will rip pretty nicely up to about 45 mph. After 45 or so, you will have to be a little more patient to get up to 55-60. I have a 6" Composimo swingarm stretch on mine, it helps A LOT to eliminate the "twitchiness" it had with the shorter wheelbase. I also eliminated the factory air box and put a K&N r1100 filter pod on the throttle body. I can't go ANYWHERE without having people ask me questions, asking to sit on it, wanting to take pictures, etc. I am getting, on average, 128 mpg (that's a mile per ounce of fuel). My greatest mpg was 137, and my worst was 110. Some people get as little as 90 on theirs because they (admittedly) are always WOT. I almost NEVER have any issues with hills. A decent hill will scrub a couple mph off, but those are hills that have the same effect on cars, too. Overall the bike was a fantastic investment. I am going to be riding in some scooter rallies this summer and I am also on the Bikers for Babies committee here in Cincinnati, so I am planning the route for our ride in August. And, yes, the Grom will be there representing the small displacement bikes.
laidout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #1233
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
I wish I had more to report, but it is what it is. I regularly commute on it when the weather is good. I have a 10 km section of freeway I take, the bike will do 100 km/h sometimes. When drafting a truck I've been to 110 km/h but that's past the redline. Flat ground WOT carries my 170 lbs at 93, cars passing will drag it up a few km/h.

I see 93 mpg normally. I'm sure it could be better if it wasn't for the WOT chunk of freeway twice a day.

If it were actually mine I'd add an inch of gel to the seat and lower the pegs an inch, find a larger gas tank and add some kind if windscreen to help with the top speed, but it belongs to a girlfriend learning to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #1234
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,100
Hey RVDan, you killed this thread good!

What's new out in Grom Land? Is there a good supply at dealers yet? Or are they going to bump the list price again because they can't produce enough to keep up with demand?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #1235
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,373
The Grom's time has passed (is passing). I went to a rally last weekend. There were 3 of them. No one seemed to care much at all. A dealer predicted they'd be hot for a year or 2 and then the craze would go away. That was last September. I thought he was crazy but I'm starting to think he might be right.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #1236
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Still pretty hard to come by in my area. Not so much a waiting list issue just a supply from Honda issue.

At the time the Grom came out my dealer had 7 deposits and over 20 leads. 4 out of the 7 people putting deposits down bought the bike in the first batch and second batch that came a few weeks or a month later.. The other 3 people did not want to wait and got the deposit refunded.

After the 1st 4 Grom's showed up it was several months before they got another one in. If memory serves they got 1 black one in December that sold within a few days and then in February they a red one that managed to sit for about 3 weeks. I sat on this one and had thoughts but did not bite. During the time it was sitting they contacted all 20 leads and not a single call back.

They are expecting a few more some time this month. My name is on the next red one but I may decide to pass. Its just a question of timing and I don't need it. Looks like a lot of fun though.

I suspect the Grom rage is starting to fade but I don't think its any fault of the bike. I think Honda simply killed it by not getting enough to supply the market and let it blossom.

I heard at first that eventually Honda will get caught up but they are still being very cautious. After all they did not think it was going to sell at all. So the latest I am hearing is they will stay limited and then when things dry up they will just disappear entirely. I think it will remain a pretty rare bike here in the states.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #1237
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
It needs to be a 150+ then I'll buy one.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #1238
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
A number of big bore kits will get you there very easy.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #1239
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
A number of big bore kits will get you there very easy.
... but it still won't be highway legal (roads with posted speeds of 55mph or greater) in CA unless it was a minimum of 150CC from the factory.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #1240
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Ahhhh, didn't know CA had a law about that. My bad.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #1241
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
This is one of my possible concerns about buying a Grom now. I am afraid shortly after I buy it Honda will take it to 150cc's just like the PCX.

I somehow think the Grom is a little different. Its sold in a lot of countries with strict 125cc limitations. Plus as mentioned above the aftermarket pretty much already has bore kits that will take it to 150cc and above. Unlike the PCX this modification is fairly easy to do.

So I am thinking I can buy with confidence with little concern Honda will take it to 150cc's. However I would not be surprised if they do it anyway just to rev up sales if they end up dropping off a cliff. Probably a few years away from that if the Grom is even still in production then.

I think once sales drop the Grom will fade into oblivion on the sales floor and from Honda.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #1242
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Hey RVDan, you killed this thread good!

What's new out in Grom Land? Is there a good supply at dealers yet? Or are they going to bump the list price again because they can't produce enough to keep up with demand?
It's over. It's all supply and demand. When there was none, everybody wanted one. All the local dealers here have a surplus of them now.

Still I think when they go on clearance I'll probably buy one of my own. It's funny how the dealers told me they've pre-sold almost all of the Groms they had on order and the rest will be sold as soon as they're in physical stock. Lies, all lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #1243
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
It's over. It's all supply and demand. When there was none, everybody wanted one. All the local dealers here have a surplus of them now.

Still I think when they go on clearance I'll probably buy one of my own. It's funny how the dealers told me they've pre-sold almost all of the Groms they had on order and the rest will be sold as soon as they're in physical stock. Lies, all lies.
Yeah...out of 24 inquiries and 7 of those were deposits they only actually sold 4 of them out of the 24. The rest made it to the show room floor and sold. One right away and the other one managed to sit for 3 weeks.

It seems Grom fever has pretty much died at my dealer and I am the only sole inquiry and I did not put down a deposit. Just a Letter of Intent but its subject to agreeing on price and it expires May 31. I even put in there that I may just decide not to do it at all. They have no issue with the Grom being questionable with me. It was just a necessary step to secure the next red one that comes in.

I think if Honda managed the supply better it would have reached a higher level of popularity. Out of a lot of bikes it actually reached a very high level of popularity but then when people could not get it they gave up and bailed. Here it is almost a year later and at least in some districts in the US its not available on a regular basis.

One thing is I feel some dealers are artificially playing with the supply. Over at the Grom forum it seems really common that people put down a deposit and then the bike magically shows up a week later. Some dealers probably have a stash in the warehouse and they tell each Grom customer its the only one in the entire state. These are in high demand and you gotta pay etc etc.

Interestingly this does not seem to be happening in my area. The 2 closest Honda dealers have been waiting month's for them to show up and on very rare occasions they get one on the truck. They always order 20 but they get just 2 every 3 months or so.

I think eventually and probably shortly after I get mine they will start showing up in numbers and sitting for a lot longer unsold and a solid deal can be had at that point.

I think a lot of is economic as well. Despite what you hear on the news things are still pretty bad out there. I think things "looked" a little more positive last year and people opened up the discretionary spending. However this year people are under attack by inflation and I think Obamacare is taking money out of peoples pockets. A toy like the Grom is the first thing on the list that gets cut. So between Honda's lack of supply and a new economic climate the Grom pretty much has faded into oblivion.

Its not just the Grom. Sales at least in my area are totally in the toilet compared to last year. However we have had a very wet Spring so far. I think we have had a total of 10 days of sunshine since early Jan.

The Grom is still a pretty cool and fun bike but yeah I think its popularity died!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #1244
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
This is one of my possible concerns about buying a Grom now. I am afraid shortly after I buy it Honda will take it to 150cc's just like the PCX.

I somehow think the Grom is a little different. Its sold in a lot of countries with strict 125cc limitations. Plus as mentioned above the aftermarket pretty much already has bore kits that will take it to 150cc and above. Unlike the PCX this modification is fairly easy to do.

So I am thinking I can buy with confidence with little concern Honda will take it to 150cc's. However I would not be surprised if they do it anyway just to rev up sales if they end up dropping off a cliff. Probably a few years away from that if the Grom is even still in production then.

I think once sales drop the Grom will fade into oblivion on the sales floor and from Honda.
yeah the tier license..in places that have it the pcx125 is still available sometimes along with the pcx150. Many places with the tier license have both a 125 version and a 150 version of what ever model, pcx, sh, etc.

thing with the big bore kits is that it is not the same as original Honda.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #1245
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,024
I can see where the Grom "craze" (using that term loosely) came and went. If people were truly hot to have one, they would be waiting... perhaps not patiently, but waiting, nonetheless.

I sat on one at a dealership a couple months ago. It just felt small. Not comparable to a PCX, because the PCX feels like it is sized for a normal sized adult. I mentioned before ever seeing a Grom that it seemed to be a one trick pony. After seeing one, I was even more convinced of that. I could see where it would be fun for an hour or two, but I wouldn't want to have it be my main ride... or even my 4th or 5th bike.

I hope it is worth Honda's efforts as a sales item; it is good to see Honda explore additional markets.

As a young guy, I wanted a bike that would make the girls want to go for a ride with me. Not gonna happen with a Grom. A bike as a "toy" is fine - most of us ride for the fun of it. But, at some point, most of us also outgrow "toys." I think that is what happened after the initial "demand" (before having to actually put money down on it) for the Grom... people had time to consider while they were waiting: what am I really going to do with this thing?

I think Honda would be better off bringing the Cub to the US... a practical bike when you don't feel the need play the part of a hooligan.