Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
captainobvious OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Icon Patrol jacket? Other good High vis options?

Have any of you used or tried on the ICON Patrol jacket? I want to get some feedback on its quality, stitching, protection, etc...It looks pretty sweet visually (I'd opt for the High Vis yellow of course).

I'm looking for something to use for the colder months and during rainy riding days for September and later riding. Would this make a good all around jacket in those conditions?

What other options (Needs to have a high vis color option) are out there that you can recommend for me? Price wise, the Icon is pretty steep, but if it has excellent rider protection, and protection from the elements it may be worth the extra dollars.

Thanks !

PS- Link to view the jacket in question below.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...erproof-Jacket
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 793
Garden-variety nylon, perhaps coated to achieve a level of waterproofness but at the expense of abrasion resistance. For the money they're asking you could go with a Cordura-based Olympia. Or bite the bullet, make that a whole magazine of bullets, and get the Klim or Rukka.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
yeah poly coated mesh will melt to your skin in an instant. Hi-vis Motoport air mesh kevlar doesnt relay heat nearly as much as the other fabrics and it wont melt either. www. motoport.com
not cheap but still much cheaper than a skin graft. Also you can add or subtract pockets reflective material. Which you really cant do with other makers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Garden-variety nylon, perhaps coated to achieve a level of waterproofness but at the expense of abrasion resistance. For the money they're asking you could go with a Cordura-based Olympia. Or bite the bullet, make that a whole magazine of bullets, and get the Klim or Rukka.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
if your just looking for rain wear, frogg toggs are good too,
http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/HornyToadz.shtm
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Mine is in the mail...I'll post my take on it after I go for a few ride and use it in an everyday setting. The magnetic flap looks so col.
jazzdrum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
I have no idea what this is made of and how waterproof it is, it is a premium price though.

I wanted to talk about the "Melting to you" comments though. 28 years on an ambulance, yea this stuff hasn't been around that long, and I have never once seen,or heard of this exept by some writer or regular person SPECULATING. Can someone show evidence of this happening in a slide? Hot pipes can be a whole different story, but educate me.

Sorry for the rant. Not meaning to hijack just sort of curious.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
CoolHand Luke
Can it core a apple?

Oddometer: 115
Icon PDX is also hi-vis but rain cover only...http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...terproof-Shell
"We had it tough ... I had to get up at 9 o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of dry poison, work 29 hours down mill, and when we came home our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our grave singing Haleleuia ."

2007 1200GS
CoolHand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Clarkman
Don't taze me bro.

Oddometer: 518
I'm looking at this jacket too -- and I'm eager to hear some reports! It looks like it'd be a nice touring jacket, and I like the fact that the styling is somewhat subdued. I'm sort of looking at the Aerostich Darien too, but I really don't like how the sleeves lack armor adjustment straps at the elbow.

Come on, someone has to have put some miles on one of these, right?

Clarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
One thing I love about that jacket is that finally someone took my idea and is using magnetic flaps. I fucking hate velcro. Those aliens could have kept that technology to themselves.

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 793
Like this even less after watching video. "Oversuit styling"? Code for fits like a sack. Vent zips notwithstanding must be mucho oppressive above 70Fh. Guess we'll never know what the outer jac material is. Even the vid presenter, an old hand at this, seems like he's just not that into this outfit. Magnets are neat though.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike View Post
Like this even less after watching video. "Oversuit styling"? Code for fits like a sack. Vent zips notwithstanding must be mucho oppressive above 70Fh. Guess we'll never know what the outer jac material is. Even the vid presenter, an old hand at this, seems like he's just not that into this outfit. Magnets are neat though.
True to that!

The guy is 5' 10" and 170lbs and a Medium size looks a little bit baggy on him.

I'm 5' 9" for 175lbs and I almost always wear Large size stuff.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
i think this is supposed to fit over your riding gear, which presumably has better protection.

indeed, the magnets are nice....i'm tired of velcro....
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

Mine shipped on the 8th and still nothing. Leaving to ski at Lake Tahoe for a week on the 3rd, so I was hoping to use it there...the spray/powder skirt, armour, and bright yellow color I figured would be great for snowboarding. I bought it because I don't like to wear my leather jacket in the rain, and my other jacket is a Tourmaster intake 2 jacket with the INNER rain liner...seemed like a good idea at the time, but a PITA to use. The mesh is great in the heat though. So, one more week of crossed fingers...APO shipping via USPS sometimes blows mountain oysters.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,885
I tried on the Icon Patrol jacket yesterday, along with an Olympia and a Firstgear (sorry, don't remember the model -- I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it all straight). I don't understand the comment about the Icon fitting like a sack. I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs, and the Icon XL was more comfortable to me than the Olympia of the same size. The sleeves seemed longer too. One thing I especially liked was even though the elbow pads are CE approved, they didn't hurt my elbows when I bent my arms the way the pads in the Olympia did. Getting in and out was way faster on the Icon.

One thing I preferred about the Firstgear is that the shoulder pads reached all the way up across the top of my shoulders. After suffering a 3rd degree separation, my left collar bone sticks way up there, and having it covered with padding is psychologically comforting.

I found an Icon Patrol review -- it seems to be waterproof, at least.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/397/9365/Motorcycle-Article/Icon-Patrol-Waterproof-Jacket-Review.aspx

I'm not buying any jacket until after I've tried on a Darien Light. I don't care what it looks like -- every review I've read says they're tough, waterproof, and have the widest temperature comfort range of any jacket available. Unless I can't find one that fits, that's probably what I'll buy.

Having said that, Skierd really loves his Klim Traverse jacket:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Ok, how about an unbiased I bought the damn jacket myself opinion?

I've had a bunch of jackets, trying to find the perfect fit and perfect all-weather except for the depths of summer riding coat. I ride every day, regardless of weather until the snow/ice starts to really cover the road. Hence, I need my jacket to be waterproof. Absolutely, unquestionably, waterproof. ...And it can't be bulky, I won't keep for long any jacket that catches the wind like a sail at highway speeds.

So far, the Traverse is the only jacket I've found to manage these requirements. It breathes well on the few warmish days I've ridden in it so far, and that's with layering underneath. It cuts through the wind well as its shape is rather form fitting without being euro slim. It's just right at the waist, plenty of fly coverage without bunching up and a drop tail over the butt to cover the pants. It fits well over a pressure suit with just enough space for a thin extra layer of insulation (REI Micro puff jacket in my case, haven't needed it into the 40's however).

I've owned and tried the Olympia Patton and AST, Fieldsheer Aston (leather), Teknic Stinger(?), Aerostich Darien, and an Alpinestars Sigma Drystar. I'm probably forgetting one too. I've tried on just about every major and style thanks to having several well stocked local dealers. BMW, Rev'It, Tourmaster, Scorpion, Joe Rocket, Icon, etc. The Traverse is better.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/newre...ply&p=15411681
Old 04-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

I love it.

I actually read this thread a few times while I was deciding which Jacket to get a while back and there was very little info on the icon patrol. I guess it's still fairly new so let me add my opinion:

After owning this jacket for several weeks now, I really don't think I will be purchasing another jacket until this one wears out. I haven't tested the waterproofness of it because the weather has been mostly nice since I got back from a recent skiing trip (I wanted to use this jacket for the trip, but it didn't arrive in time...it would have been perfect) and the jacket was waiting for me in the mail.

The fit is perfect. I am 5' 8" and about 180 not fat and not skinny...normal athletic-ish, and I have a medium. Perfect fit. I do have room for a t-shirt, my heated vest, and maybe a midweight long sleeve or pull over but anything more than that and the fit would be too tight and poofy. It doesnt fit like a sack unless your talking about ballsacks. Cause my ballsack also fits me perfectly, (with a little room for expansion as necessary).

I was hoping the liner would be usable outside the jacket sorta like how I hear about the firstgear kilamanjaro or kahtmandu or whatever, but it's your standard liner really only usable in the jacket. It's warm, inegrates well, is easy to put in and take out, but has the exposed seems on the outside and just isn't really designed to be worn casually outside the jacket. No big deal.

I'm okay with that cause it looks like they put all of the value and thought into the jacket itself. I will probably just bring a standard fleece pullover if I ride in the really cold stuff (again, I have a heated vest and grips: I don't need tons of insulation).

Read the reviews for all the features. I would rave about them, like the soft fleecy collars and the fleece lined handwarmer pockets and well so many great features. I love it.

I can post pics of my in the jacket, but all you have to do is look at the video reviews...I guess it might help to see a shorter dude in the jacket.

Having ridden on the autobahn several times cruising at over 100mph on my honda 599 naked bike, I can say that it cuts through the wind just fine, and with only a t-shirt on it still keeps me fairly warm in the German spring weather.

I've gotten a lot of comments on the high-viz yellow. It is bright. and I like that it is full coverage yellow and not just on a few small portions. I considered the red which looks cool, but I want to be seen. Also, the reflective strips really stand out.

As the weather heats up, I will be using the ample venting more and more, and I may have to switch to my tourmaster intake jacket for the hottest days, but I like that this jacket will serve me for most of the year, in any weather, with plenty of options for cold and warmer weather as far as venting and keeping warmth in when I need it.

Oh yeah, and the magnetic flap is so fucking cool!

hope this helps.

-Jazzdrum